Cell Service

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Cell Service

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:00 pm

I know the "Why" if your camping.. We travel! We travel mostly into Canada, and starting into Mexico. We require service for mapping, staying in contact and a movie or two streaming.. or one of your videos that was posted.

AT&T got expensive and I went with a lower tiered provider (no name as of yet). When I bought in I checked for service in Canada particularly. I had it nearly 6 months ago. Canada cracked down and throw out all those 'lower tiered" providers. Shocked the heck out of us!!!

I ended up buy a Tellus plan while up there. 25g plan and we where working nearly a gig a day.. It would have kept going, yet slowed own. $50. Okay bought a SIM & activation, another $50. Then if I wished to keep it, a $12 a month idling fee. 4 months balances to re-upping. Now what do I do about Mexico?

AT&T has better bandwidth then others. Cost... T-Moblie is 2 phones for any deal which puts them in for ~$110..

Any travelers here? What are you using?
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Cell Service

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:19 pm

I use T-Mobile - some plan for over 55 (as ND just looked and guessed can do better). 3 lines (my wife has a cell tablet) plus home Internet - $120/mo. We live on Canadian border and often our service is from Canada and no charges.

(My favorite t-mobile benefit is free WiFi in American Airlines. Just a happy coincidence.)
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby terrymorse » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:22 pm

We have the Magenta 55+ plan from T-Mobile. Free talk and text in Canada and Mexico, 5Gb of high speed data. $70 per month for two phones (includes $10 discount for autopay).
terrymorse
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:53 am

I'll have to stop by a T-Moblie and have a chat with them. Plan on the same with AT&T..

Thanx for the responses!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby working on it » Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:29 am

I'm not traveling much now, mainly to health and having too many critters to care for (three hose dogs, four house cats, 10-12 feral/semi-tame yard cats, four free-range pet chickens, etc), so my need for extra perks on a cell phone plan aren't needed (hotspot, international roaming, etc), and though the wife travels a lot within the N.Texas area, she doesn't need frills either.

So, starting last summer, I searched for a cheaper phone plan for us (either as a couple or individually), and here's what I did:
from another thread:
bdosborn wrote:... we switched from AT&T to T-mobile two years ago and our monthly bill was cut in *half* and we got two free phones! So far no complaints about service. Make sure you ask them for the grey hair discount...

working on it wrote:... Why we switched to another phone plan, using phones of our (not theirs) choice: we switched from AT&T mobile (but we kept their unlimited wifi, because it cost about the same as the others in our area) in January, to Boost Unlimited for $25 per line. We kept our phones (both Samsungs...S8 & S9+), and decided to purchase (in the future) any new unlocked GSM phones outright, from Amazon, Ebay, the phone manufacturer, or Boost, whenever we needed a new one, and we did away with the $10+ per line insurance we had for the last 25 years, because it:

• 1) never paid for "repairs", but furnished a "refurbished" phone instead,
  • 2) the refurbed phone was always several years old, with no option for an upgrade to a later model, nor a brand change possible,
  • 3) the phones we received carried a surcharge (they weren't entirely paid for by the insurance program, as they had been when we first started), of $150 for the S8, three years ago, and $210 for the S9+, a year ago...What was the $10 a month paying for?, and
  • 4) we're not sure just how refurbished the phones were, since we had 3 of the last 4 (S7,S8,S8+, perhaps my S9+ is liable to, also?) have catastrophic battery swelling, that rendered them unusable

We had been loyal AT&T customers for 25+ years (we started out with VoiceStream Wireless...which became T-Mobile, later), then switched to Cingular (became AT&T mobile, later) for a year, after we found we had zero reception from VoiceStream/T-Mobile in our new home area. My wife switched to T-Mobile again, forgetting about the zero reception problem, which at least T-Mobile had increased to 1-bar reception by then, so finally after another year, back to AT&T again.

Forward to 2022: both retired, not wanting to pay $125 per month on our "Legacy" plan, I tried (for several months) to talk AT&T into giving us any sort of senior discount (I'm 72, she's 59), or a new lower cost plan (but with sufficient data for my wife's constant usage...I need less), to no avail. They said senior plans were only available in Florida??? And all the lower cost plans had much, much less data included, than the "legacy" plan we already had. So, I shopped (for three months) for a different carrier. Though I liked several MVNO's, and was leaning towards T-Mobile Magenta 55+ Plan ($35 per line, in 2022-early 2023), when I found Boost Unlimited ($25 per line, $25.76 w/taxes, forever). Other carriers promised lower initial offers, but had a history of upping them later, so I liked the forever feature. And Boost Unlimited uses the same AT&T towers that we have already used, and that covered camping spots I've used, wher there's no Verizon nor T-moble coverage, at least in the recent past).

Another thing about switching away from AT&T: it took me 20+ hours on the phone(just with AT&T, another 8 talking to the others on this list), just to unlock our phones, so we could switch to another carrier; AT&T reps (except the last one), were totally useless, sending me to talk to

• 1) Samsung (the maker of our phones),
  • 2) Assurion (the insurance that furnished our replacement phones),
  • 3) Verizon (from whom Assurion had received the phones they refurbished), and
  • 4) back to AT&T again.

The final AT&T rep had been there 20 years, and quickly furnished the info I needed to unlock the phones. She also tried to get me another, cheaper plan, but some higher-up prevented that from happening, but she did get me a $70 refund on our final bill! I had no problem at all with the Boost reps, even though I talked to three differnt people(I accidently hanged up, and one of our housecats hung me up a second time).

Eight months later, we've had no problems using Boost Unlimited, though I wonder if Dish Network (the owners) will have good reception from the towers they are building, and get away from using AT&T (and T-Mobile, in some locations) towers. I've seen T-Mobile's (and other carriers, too) prices fall since then, though I had to make a choice then, for the start of 2023, and I have no regrets choosing as I did.

A further benefit of leaving AT&T: Two months ago, my wife's S8 had it's battery swell up, cracking the screen. It had also been giving her some weird problems beforehand, and was barely usable, so when Amazon Prime day came, she grabbed the phone I had on my "saved for later" list (a new Motorola G Power 2022), that I had earmarked to replace my S9+, when and if its' battery swelled. The price was less than a refurbed one from AT&T/Assurion, or Boost, or even Motorola...and it was delivered two days later. She's keeping the S8, just in case (I don't know why), and she loves it, despite not having wireless charging. I had Motorola phones back in the 2000's, and Lenovo (owns Motorola) tablets (I've had/have two), and liked them. We'll see about the slow updates that are reported...we're used to slow updates from AT&T/Samsung already.

I forgot to mention that it was early access Boost Unlimited that guaranteed $25 for 30GB forever, which was the most important feature to me, using AT&T towers was second.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:55 pm

Your Boost Mobile plane is $5 less than my Mint plan for unlimited (same for other) and you get MX included for calls & text for $5 more. If they offered that for Canada as well, I'd buy in today! That's a good deal if you're a frequent flyer into MX.

I found Mint does work in Canada with additional charges 'and' you have to set it up and load the 'Wallet'... Missed that part.. Costs are tough on data @ .06 a MB and no guaranties on speed.. I think it can still work if we're careful. Wifey loves her FaceTime with our grandchild and that would have to be cut in time or frequency.. That's going to be a hard sell! Phone calls / texting even sending pictured is very affordable as compared to what Tellus cost us.

After an extensive conversation with the T-mobile 'expert', I left informing him it was cheaper to keep my Tellus plan (idling the plan when not there) than to switch my Mint plans over to him just for usage as we travel Canada. If they just would do the 'advertised' pricing per line as a singular line.. I would have bought in.

I will also chase down a couple other providers in Canada and see if any offer a non-startup fee & eSim to hold costs down.

Search for something better continues.

Thank you to each that posted up!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:43 am

After all this, I now get an advertisement showing Boost works both Mexico & Canada.. They use they same towers as Mint and will actually cost me $5 less on my US service. The add-on for MX/CA is $10, now costing me $5 more than my current service, yet giving me Canada (which I'm after) with no roaming charges! Ya, slowed way the heck down after 5gigs..

I signed in one phone, yes you can do one phone, on the BYOP plan @ $35 a month all services I hoped for. As far as I can tell, they're the only ones at this pricing/service.

What a rollercoaster experience of research!
Last edited by RJ Howell on Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Cell Service-or-hunting for the best service for your ne

Postby working on it » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:22 am

RJ Howell wrote:...What a rollercoaster experience of research!

You're right about that...I researched and made up my mind, again and again, over a 5-6 months period. Everytime I was sure, I'd see another video by "experts" and/or get an email from carriers offering me the latest deal, and start over again.

Some services were tempting, but I'd always find something I wasn't sure about (usually service in my area, roaming charges away from my area, and lack of data offered). Since we had/have GSM phones, never any CDMA phones, we stuck with that (though most newer phones have capability to use either). And, since we're in N.Texas, where AT&T is based (and has by far the most towers), I tried to find a MVNO that used those towers, though T-Mobile took the lead in my research, for awhile, since we'd used them before, and they had senior plans (which AT&T did not).

At first, I was looking for "senior couple's plans" with a lot of data included (my wife was consistently going over our AT&T plan limit...always social media-ing or some B.S., and was using the rollover that I hadn't used), and finally I determined that I needed separate plans: lotsa data for her, and much less for me. Just about to finalize on a couple of MVNO plans from either Mint or Metro-PCS (via T-Mobile), when I got an ad on a video I was watching about Boost Unlimited (early access), and that's where I ended up.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to General Discussion