Internet problems at the campsite

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Internet problems at the campsite

Postby ronnielombard » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:01 pm

Hi, I noticed that the internet connection at the campsite when I arrived at my trailer was very weak when we tried to use the wifi there. Does anyone have a solution for this problem? I want my family to always have the most fun and complete outing. Thank
ronnielombard
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Internet problems at the campsite

Postby steve cowan » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:29 am

Lots of signal boosters out there.Personally the reason we go camping is to enjoy being "not connected" .
steve cowan
Donating Member

Postby mtbikernate » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:55 am

campgrounds that offer wifi are notorious for offering bad wifi.

the only people I know who have cared about this are people who were living in their rv at the time.
mtbikernate
Teardrop Master

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:48 pm

ronnielombard wrote:Hi, I noticed that the internet connection at the campsite when I arrived at my trailer was very weak when we tried to use the wifi there. Does anyone have a solution for this problem? I want my family to always have the most fun and complete outing. Thank

Hotspot on your cell phone.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Squigie » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:11 am

Give up and go dark.
If electronics are mandatory, download videos before leaving a good network connection.

In 2018, my brothers, father, and I took a trip to a remote lodge that claimed "high speed internet" and only had six rooms. "Can't be as bad as normal hotel/campground wifi, right?"
Very, very wrong. There was nothing. During the day, you were lucky to get a basic text file to download. There was no chance for an image, let alone streaming anything or using a modern (image-laden) website. At night, it turned off. There was no cell service. None. Zero. Not even hope for a text message, until you drove 40+ miles out.
So, we spent our days doing real things, and slept when we returned to the lodge.

Later that year, we ended up in a remote RV park with cabins. Our cabin (because too many people and two people too overweight for my trailer's beds) happened to be situated very nicely in regards to the highway, and bathroom/shower traffic. But, that meant that we had terrible wifi for the two days that we were snowed in by an absolutely brutal blizzard.
So, we slogged through a break in the blizzard and sat down in a local diner for about an hour on the first day, and the surprisingly busy Pizza Hut on the second day (town honestly too small for a Pizza Hut). We ate and drank, and downloaded entertainment to keep us occupied for the rest of the day, each time.

But if that hadn't worked, there were always beers, stories, and a few good books to fill the time.

If you and your family are absolute addicts and cannot live without the internet, then you need to bring your own. Look into Starlink, and/or the other mobile satellite internet providers. But then you must only use campgrounds that give a clear view of the sky...
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:29 am

When I first retired and transitioning my position over I worked remote part-time. I carried a Yagi antenna (directional) so I could use the Wifi without being camped next to the office or bath house. That requires line-of-sight, meaning, you can't see the Wifi broadcast antenna, it doesn't work well at all. Worked okay.. Biggest issue I found was far too many folks using the bandwidth, main reason most campground Wifi sucks.. I did my transfers (data) early am before others were up. Good luck streaming a movie at night..

It's been mentioned and I agree, best solution is to Hot Spot. I now see this quite often as I check for Wifi before we FaceTime family.

I carry a compact hard drive with a couple movies and music on it though I rarely even go to that..

Safe Travels
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:13 am

Very occasionally, I look for internet.
The circumstances have to add up.
e.g. I forgot to bring a movie to watch, the book I brought isn't grabbing my interest, no opportunity to take out a spotlight and a rifle, no-one to share the campfire and a bottle of wine with, can't find free to air TV signal, maybe there is something I want to post to a forum.
In that case, the mobile phone hot-spot is the way to go.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Return to General Discussion