Shake down trip of new be completed teardrop trailer

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Shake down trip of new be completed teardrop trailer

Postby Bruce R Leech » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:06 pm

Teardrop trailer i just in the last month and a half completed in my Tony Latham designed teardrop trailer i completed it in about 3 and 1/2 months averaging about 40 to 50 hours a week of work i'm kind of old so I work slow. I finished about a month and a half ago And all went well I took off for a trip to Colorado And I was gone for about five weeks And I had weather up there to about 14 below Fahrenheit.the trailer work flowlesslyI went about 3,000 mi all together and mostly Did primitive camping off grid I .enjoyed it a lot It works great in the cold weather I had little or no condensation inside the trailerI hate the trailer with electricity From an armed generator use. The trainer is all electric i cook on an induction cook plate which works much better than a gas fire because the wind does not affect it and all. Play teardrop also has air conditioning a rooftop mounted unit.I have a 12-volt system That also charges from the generator or shore power with a lithium battery. It all runs off of a built in honda 2200 watt inverter generator that is very quiet very efficient it works flawlessly with my system.My trailer is10 ft long by five feet wide In a classic teardrop shape It was very easy I'm not sure about the weight But it pulls very easy buying my Ford EscapeI got 32 mi to the gallon On my trip By driving very slow i owe a big thanks to Tony Latham in his book and I followed the directions are great and I completed the trailer way beyond my expectations and learned a lot from him i recommend anybody building one in the first time to use him and his book has is a guide. Thank you Tony and I'll see you on the trail
Bruce R Leech
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Shake down trip of new be completed teardrop trailer

Postby tony.latham » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:47 pm

I owe a big thanks to Tony Latham in his book

Hey, thanks a bunch!

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bruce R Leech » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:20 pm

Hi Tony I wish I could post some pictures on here the camper came out so beautiful and it works so nice but I can't figure out how to post pictures yet.
Bruce R Leech
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:39 pm

Bruce R Leech wrote:Hi Tony I wish I could post some pictures on here the camper came out so beautiful and it works so nice but I can't figure out how to post pictures yet.

I have a free account on Imgur.com. I upload them and choose the message board Auto Resize, and then add the direct link here by using the Img button above.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bruce R Leech » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:48 pm

thanks Tony
Bruce R Leech
Teardrop Inspector

Postby alexmin35 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:34 am

Congratulations on completing your beautiful custom teardrop trailer! It sounds like an incredible 3.5 month labor of love that is now ready for adventure.I'm very impressed you were able to incorporate so many amenities like air conditioning, an induction cooktop, and a built-in generator while still keeping it lightweight enough to tow with your Ford Escape. It speaks to the thoughtful design maximizing every inch of the 5x10 footprint.And it seems the maiden shakedown voyage testing all systems was a resounding success! Handling cold 14°F nights off-grid is no small feat. Enjoying reliable power and no condensation issues shows how well-prepared the trailer is.Kudos for recognizing Tony Latham's design guidance as key. Having those proven plans to work from makes a daunting build so much more approachable for first-timers. Your phenomenal results are a testament to that and your perseverance! Wishing you many more fabulous trips ahead in your custom teardrop enjoying the flexibility and comfort off the beaten path! Sounds like an absolutely perfect adventure getaway on wheels. Congrats again and thanks for reporting back from the trail! Type Calendar is more than just calendars! We provide an array of free business templates including contracts, agreements, and letter templates, along with stunning graphics to elevate your business and personal projects. Visit us now for these free resources and start organizing your year effectively.A safety plan template is a resource that you can use as a starting point for your own plan. It helps you think through the steps you need to take to keep yourself and your family safe.
alexmin35
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cdnred » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:05 pm

Bruce R Leech wrote: It all runs off of a built in honda 2200 watt inverter generator that is very quiet very efficient it works flawlessly with my system.

Could you explain on how you were able to mount your Honda 2200 Watt Inverter as a built-in, if I'm understanding this correctly..? I used to own a pair of Honda 2200's and I believe they were only built as stand alone. I'm curious as I think that would be a great idea for incorporating into a TD and I'd like to know how it was done, pics. Was a box enclosurer built on the tow bar to enclose them..? I would think that being enclosed would amplify the sound while running. Was this covered in Tony's book if so I'll have look at buying it..?

Helmuth

Edit: Came across an enclosed generators posting on the GoodSam site that said.. "We need to compile a comprehensive list of enclosed Honda EU2000i users and have a roll call each year to see how many of them are no loner with us. We also need a record of their design so the remaining test subjects don't repeat the non-survivors design flaws" So if indeed this was enclosed, it's not such a simple thought to be made..
cdnred
Teardrop Advisor

Return to General Discussion