What ya get for Christmas?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

What ya get for Christmas?

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:00 pm

Well, that is part of the camper/camping experience I mean...

I received the Cupid Heater by Kovea. 3K BTU, butane run, adjustable setting. I think this will make a big difference from running that Mr Buddy heater for 2 minutes and driving us outside... I like it's small and self contained, should stow nicely.
https://www.amazon.com/Kovea-Cupid-Gas-Heater/dp/B01NAEOJYC

The other item is the replacement CO2 meter. Nothing special except it reads at lower temps than my old one and that one is fairly old.. kinda like me..

So... Whacha get??
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: What ya get for Christmas?

Postby tony.latham » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:49 pm

I received the Cupid Heater by Kovea.

Whadda think about it? I've plans to buy one for my sis's retirement. :thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:54 pm

Me? Santa gave me this tiny Kodak Luma 150 projector for our teardrop.

I'm in the process of building a mount for it that will sit on our headboard. The cloth screen's coming from eBay. It'll project a 33" x 19" image at our feet. I've been monkeying with it in the house, and I'm impressed.

:?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Squigie » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:25 am

A nice gift related to my shooting hobbies - a sling bang that goes over one shoulder and leaves the other available to carry a rifle (slinged, of course) in shooting competitions that require hiking between stages.

But this is intriguing.
I wasn't aware that projectors had gotten so small and portable, while self-powered.
tony.latham wrote:Me? Santa gave me this tiny Kodak Luma 150 projector for our teardrop.

I'm in the process of building a mount for it that will sit on our headboard. The cloth screen's coming from eBay. It'll project a 33" x 19" image at our feet. I've been monkeying with it in the house, and I'm impressed.

Tony

I am not going to lie. I had a great time, a year (and a bit) ago, when my son and I watched some (downloaded) movies on my tablet, while camping with my father.
With a no-questions-asked 8 pm bedtime, my father is a real party pooper. (He has been that way since his 30s, it isn't an age-related thing.) In the summer, the sun isn't even properly set. That leaves plenty of campfire time and "wind down" time in the trailer, for those of us that don't retreat to drink wheat grass juice and contemplate our next attempt to take over the world at 8 pm.
Some may disagree, but I truly enjoy staying up late, especially around a campfire, while camping. It is one of the hallmarks and most important parts of the pastime, for me.

My son and I burned down the fire over a couple more hours, made it safe, and retreated to the trailer; to watch a couple movies with the tablet propped on our feet. A simple screen and projector would be nicer.

My only concerns about that unit, while looking at specs, are the 2.5 hr claimed playtime and the 3,000 hour LED life. My pessimistic experience with technology must cut each in half. That means not enough battery life for a proper film, and not enough LED life for 6 viewings of the MASH series.
It isn't a big deal, but the charging port being Micro-USB instead of USB-C is a bit of a drag, as well. We *finally* got out of the directional charging connector world, and, yet, so many companies cling to it. USB-C is not just better for users, but no harder to manufacture or assemble(!). Frustrating to see companies dwelling in the past. Anyway...
The ability to play from a Micro-SD card does mean you can drain one device, instead of two. That might be helpful.
On the other hand, I cannot find any information about what size SD card any of the Kodak Luma projectors can handle.

Do keep us updated.
At the very least, you have opened my eyes to technology that I did not know existed yet. (Even though I should have known. My wife's phone had a tiny projector as an accessory about 5 years ago.)
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:32 am

tony.latham wrote:
I received the Cupid Heater by Kovea.

Whadda think about it? I've plans to buy one for my sis's retirement. :thinking:

Tony

Test ran it in the house cause it's still too warm 'round here. Temps are due to drop this weekend and will test out in the camper. Let you know then.

Neat projector!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:01 pm

My only concerns about that unit, while looking at specs, are the 2.5 hr claimed playtime and the 3,000 hour LED life.

It will be mounted next to a USB outlet, so I'll keep it plugged in while running. As far as the LED life, we campfire and read a lot. I see us using this thing just a few nights on our month-long spring trip to the southwest. I think that means it'll outlast me.

I will keep you posted on it. I built the mount last night with my 3D printer. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:01 pm

Let you know then.

Thanks!

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Westy » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:16 am

I got nothing.
But just prior to Christmas I did get word that my wife was free of cancer. She has been battling ovarian cancer for the past 7 months with a 7 hour operation and 4 months of chemotherapy.
Our Christmas was very low key due to the lingering after effects of the chemo but her, and our, outlook for 2024 is much more positive.
Thanks for competent doctors, surgeons, nurses and oncologists. We would have been lost without you.
Westy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:28 am

Westy wrote:I got nothing.
But just prior to Christmas I did get word that my wife was free of cancer. She has been battling ovarian cancer for the past 7 months with a 7 hour operation and 4 months of chemotherapy.
Our Christmas was very low key due to the lingering after effects of the chemo but her, and our, outlook for 2024 is much more positive.
Thanks for competent doctors, surgeons, nurses and oncologists. We would have been lost without you.

Best present ever!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:07 am

Westy wrote:I got nothing.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tom & Shelly
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:32 am

my wife was free of cancer...

Congrats. I'm sure those were the toughest months for both of you. Been there.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Squigie » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:20 pm

Congrats. Always good news.

I caught my neighbor driving up the street a few days before Christmas, while I was checking the mail, and gave her a friendly wave. She slammed the brakes, swerved violently, and nearly took out my mailbox. She rolled down the window, partially opened the door, and awkwardly leaned on and out of the door. She was crying and clearly had been for a while, given the state of her makeup and the patchy, rosy color of her face; but seemed excited, or at least very agitated.
With obvious concern, I asked if she was okay, and followed immediately by asking if her husband was okay (~84 y/o and having a lot of medical problems).
She started to get the words out with some blubbering but grew stronger and clearer, with delight and tangible relief, "I'm in remission! This [gosh-dang] cancer can't run my life any more!"

She (~64 y/o) was diagnosed with breast cancer in Oct 2022 and, though we did not know it at the time, was going to start her first round of chemo the day after we made a quick visit just before Christmas. We, as a family, took some home-made cookies over as a friendly gift, with wishes of a Merry Christmas. She was visibly touched and quite thankful, but seemed a bit distracted or concerned. She didn't tell us about the cancer until months later, or how much that quick little visit meant to her at such a dark time. Since revealing the truth, she has kept us up to date on the big milestones.
Nearly a year to the day later, purely by luck, I got the news before her husband did.

I am glad that she was able to have a Merry Christmas, and you and your wife as well, Westy.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby Modstock » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:22 am

Last year I was in a pretty wild windstorm while camping. Being curious of what those wind speeds were, I googled to see what was being recorded but to no avail.
In October I was talking with DesertMoose about this and he showed me his handheld device for taking windspeed measurements.
I had no idea about those and while in the gun section before Xmas, I picked one up.
But now of course no wind when I bring it out. Funny though cause when I had a drone. Every time I brought it out, the wind kicked up.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby foxontherun » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:37 am

Good morning,
You didn't read the microscopic print on the wind-speed tool.....must have drone in order to use, :lol:

Harry
foxontherun
Teardrop Master

Postby foxontherun » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:04 pm

Modstock, I just ran across this; don't know if it will serve your purpose or not. Looks like you just choose location and select the date range you want. https://www.visualcrossing.com/weather- ... 2024-01-01

May have go scroll down the page to get to the windspeed/gust portion.

Harry :)
foxontherun
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to General Discussion