Gold Star and Veteran America the Beautiful Pass

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Gold Star and Veteran America the Beautiful Pass

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:38 pm

For those of you who have, or are eligible, for the "Gold Star and Veteran America the Beautiful Pass", we noticed a feature that may not be advertised: Unlike the regular America the Beautifu Pass, my veteran pass has enabled discounts at National Park Service maintained campsites. The trick is to use the SKU number on the narrow side of the pass when booking.

A few years ago, the annual America the Beautiful pass became available at no charge to veterans as well as active duty military. That pass allows free admission to National Parks, BLM, and National Forest sites. Great! But it didn't offer discounts booking campsites. A year or so ago, they started giving out the lifetime Gold Star and Veterans America the Beautiful pass instead. I thought it had the same bennies, but Shelly tried using the SKU number to book campsites, and we seem to get the same discount as the Senior Pass. I haven't looked too hard, but haven't seen this feature advertised.

Hope this helps some of you! :thumbsup:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Re: Gold Star and Veteran America the Beautiful Pass

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:05 pm

That's the same way I use my America the Beautiful pass for the discount.. Not sure what you are referring to? Something of a deeper discount?

As a Veteran, have you stayed at any of the 'base' campgrounds? Several around and available for you. One in particular up near me is on a Radar Station and a great trouting spot!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:50 pm

RJ Howell wrote:That's the same way I use my America the Beautiful pass for the discount.. Not sure what you are referring to? Something of a deeper discount?

As a Veteran, have you stayed at any of the 'base' campgrounds? Several around and available for you. One in particular up near me is on a Radar Station and a great trouting spot!

The annual access pass doesn't discount camping--as far as I know. Says so here:

https://store.usgs.gov/2024-annual-pass

But maybe the web site isn't right? I never tried it. It's an interaction between the Departments of Agriculture, Interior, Defense (Army Corps of Engineer sites), and others, and it wouldn't be the first time the written rules and implementation weren't in agreement. There are several flavors of America the Beautiful pass, and some are supposed to discount camping reservations and some (allegedly) aren't. Anyway, I'd give it a try.

I haven't had the opportunity to stay at any base campgrounds.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:02 pm

Looking at the stated rules for the other flavors of pass, and reading between the lines, I'm pretty sure that the successive implementation of several legislative acts have made the system so confusing the computer algorithms for taking reservations aren't entirely correct. In any event, I'd try typing in the SKU number for anything you have and see if it works! ;)

Oh, don't tell anyone, just in case they get in and fix it! :shhh:

Tom :D
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:28 am

Tom&Shelly wrote:
RJ Howell wrote:That's the same way I use my America the Beautiful pass for the discount.. Not sure what you are referring to? Something of a deeper discount?

The annual access pass doesn't discount camping--as far as I know. Says so here:

https://store.usgs.gov/2024-annual-pass

But maybe the web site isn't right? I never tried it. It's an interaction between the Departments of Agriculture, Interior, Defense (Army Corps of Engineer sites), and others, and it wouldn't be the first time the written rules and implementation weren't in agreement. There are several flavors of America the Beautiful pass, and some are supposed to discount camping reservations and some (allegedly) aren't. Anyway, I'd give it a try.

I haven't had the opportunity to stay at any base campgrounds.

Tom

I've been discounted at NP's yet not all. Maybe there's a difference with the Seniors lifetime pass vs one you buy each year.. but that seems strange. We had one NP that wanted to still charge us entry, which I argued and they just said go on in.. I had one NF state that there was no discount, yet me being me and it was envelope pay, I took it anyway. Hell, they have my name if they want the other $6..
Many NF's now want you to buy a day pass just to hike a trail now. Hang your pass on the mirror and your good to go... well I've not had an issue 'yet'.

Our State Parks are completely screwed up when it comes to senior discounts.. You want talk about government agencies and rules!! Some I get in free, some I get discounted at for entry / camping others it's full rate. Best one is they claimed free entry for all, but put meters on the parking spaces.. GAWD it's getting weirder all the time!

Safe Travels!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion