TD Friendly Websites

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

TD Friendly Websites

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:50 pm

Hello,

On this forum at the top you will find "TD Friendly Wevsites "

Campcook draws a blank page, Gatherings draws a error no find, International Red Wood Gathering was closed some time back, but a different group started it back up Can not be found.
now called 4th Annual Redwood Rendezvous for that look here it is in northern California viewtopic.php?f=45&t=76165

So I am not on this forum as much as I use to and am now retired and have more time. And am still on my second build. My first one is falling apart and will soon become a chicken coop. Where do I look for Gatherings other then this forum? :delivery:

THEY LIST two events at Pamplin Grove one Aug the other Sepif you can not make it to one maybe you can to the other I have been to Pamplin Grove twice and loved it. You will have to ask them the fees.

Redwood Rendezvous Aug 22-27-2024-registration OPEN! for that look here it is in northern California viewtopic.php?f=45&t=76165
Pamplin Grove Sep 16-21, 2024 viewtopic.php?f=45&t=76184

why do I feel like I am pushing back the cobwebs. :NC
Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: TD Friendly Websites

Postby nevadatear » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:48 pm

Thank you for highlighting the Redwood Rendezvous! This event is the one is in August. The cost is $150 for 5 nights of camping and all the associated fun, plus some swag TBA later. This gathering is a re-imaged version of the wonderful, famous IRGs of the past. It is designed to be a bit more informal, but every bit as fun. While Dean and Joanie Hubbard are no longer the hosts, they come every year and are still a big part of helping us put on a great event. Check the announcement and more information under Jefferson State Gatherings. Also, unlike IRG/Pamplin Grove there is no website associated with this event. We have posted here, Tearjerkers and on many Facebook teardrop pages about this event. Hosts are Cathy & Leo Frost, Jon & Romi Marks and Deb & Randy Pontius. Link to more info in Jefferson State Gatherings. https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=76165
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby kd8cgo » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:56 am

Ron Dickey wrote:...
why do I feel like I am pushing back the cobwebs. :NC
Ron

Funny isn't it? When teardrops (as well as other camping things, RVs, vans, etc) are at an all time high of modern popularity? So what's happened?

This is a feature of the platform-ification, and eventual complete enshittification, of the Internet. The industry-speak for the driving force behind this process is called "monetization of user generated content." We all know the big players that do this like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube; but there are also some small players, like the ones who apparently bought this forum a few years ago. Eventually the loss of connection between the third party platform owners and the user base creates a cascading series of failures as described more thoroughly by Cory Doctorow (author, Special Advisor, Electronic Frontier Foundation) on his blog here as well as in dozens of other posts, speeches, and similar work in academic circles that explore the phenomenon and the incentives behind what monetization does to user generated content over time in different contexts. IIRC I think it was Grant's website for gatherings was last updated in 2015 before it went offline. Basically, the would-be torch bearer's of self managed and self run communities are now trapped in someone else's maze, and the failures this causes over time leads to the atrophy and eventual death of once vibrant social systems that existed outside monetization pressure. Stated another way and outlined in that post on Cory's blog, network effects lead to "the curse of bigness," and the users that would have self-managed communities like these well into the future have trapped each other into non-interoperable platforms that exist to extract maximum value at a great cost to the actual real world social ties of these so-called social networks.

I used to help forums like these run themselves in not for profit, fully member managed, non-monetized. Today, it has never been technically easier to do so, the tools themselves like the hosting and free and open source, now-interoperable (federated) forum software like Discourse are easier to use than ever before, and at a lower monetary cost than ever before as well. The "market" for such self directed communities however, is nearly non-existent now - most forums that still exist have been gobbled up by marketing ad firms or they just died as the user base left for platforms that will eventually atomize them into a larger, but far more dysfunctional, island blobs on larger corporate platforms. This has a direct impact on things like in person gatherings, in particular because monetized platforms are universally bad, by design, at interoperability - if you are not a member on whichever mass social media junkheap where people are discussing X, Y, or Z - you will often never find them - they rarely show up in search engine results, are often locked behind obnoxious advertising malware, login screens, poor organizational information structure, or members-only viewing restrictions (ie the data is not actually on the open internet), etc. This is how eventually communities die, by a death of a thousand tiny cuts. It's a hard process to watch having seen it play out dozens of times personally already, but the good news is the process is slow and you can keep outrunning the fires for a good long while, but I've rarely seen a community escape intact. The few that did were usually open source software or similar communities that had an easier time understanding the risks presented by platforms and monetization, and similar techniques like Embrace, Extend, Extinguish coined by Microsoft in their early attempts to kill free and independent software projects were familiar to them already.

Apologies for the wall of text, I spent a lot of time on this problem years ago, before I threw in the towel. :oops:
kd8cgo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:02 pm

Yep, all that to say this site isn't what it used to be. "Nobody here but us chickens"... and diehards.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion