Pre Fab Doors

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Pre Fab Doors

Postby 23Sojourney45 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:46 am

Has anyone ordered any pre fab doors recently? If so, from where? I don't see any deals from any of the previous aforementioned sites posted on here. I was hoping for "cheaper" doors but even vintage technologies is charging for shipping doors when, in years past, they didn't. Did anyone find any new sites to share with the rest of us? I don't really want to make my doors because a lot of you have said that making the doors, the cost, is almost as much as a pre fab door. The only difference is maybe the "style by owner". Thanks in advance. :thinking:
23Sojourney45
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Pre Fab Doors

Postby gudmund » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:31 pm

just looked and Vintage Technolgies does still have some doors listed for sale on Amazon and are being shown with free shipping...........
gudmund
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby gudmund » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:32 pm

just looked and Vintage Technolgies does still have some doors listed for sale on Amazon and are being shown with free shipping...........
gudmund
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 23Sojourney45 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:46 pm

gudmund wrote:just looked and Vintage Technolgies does still have some doors listed for sale on Amazon and are being shown with free shipping...........

Do you happen to have the link? I only see leisureRV and leisure Coachworks on my end. I just went to Vintage Technologies storefront, clicked on all 10 pages and no doors. They have windows and other accessories, but no doors. :thinking:
23Sojourney45
Teardrop Advisor

Postby gudmund » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:47 pm

http://www.amazon.com type in 'Vintage Technolgies teardrop doors' and they should pop up..... when I looked a few hours ago 3-4 different sizes were being shown for sale............
just went to the Amazon website you listed here and found the doors I saw them listing with free shipping for $410 each. couple different sizes listed with the rounded top corners and square bottoms (am also located here on the west coast - just 'way' north of you) open the Amazon link you listed here, then go to the bottom of pg1 and hit teardrop door
Last edited by gudmund on Wed May 01, 2024 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
gudmund
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 23Sojourney45 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:37 am

gudmund wrote:http://www.amazon.com type in 'Vintage Technolgies teardrop doors' and they should pop up..... when I looked a few hours ago 3-4 different sizes were being shown for sale............

Yep, I just did, same results. I still see only windows of different shapes/sizes, trims, hurrican hinges, T mold, and door parts. I'm on the west coast so I don't know if vintage has a different inventory? :roll: I cut/pasted my results from amazon. Strange.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=vintage+tech ... _sb_noss_1
23Sojourney45
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TimC » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:15 pm

I don't know where you found the comments that DIY doors are almost the same. Today's prices for the same door handles I put on my first teardrop are $57 each, that's about $120 for two. You could probably ebay them for much less. My hinges are heavy duty gate hinges bought from a big box store and they currently go for under $8 per hinge, so about $32 for four. I built Wiley windows which cost me about $25 for two tempered, doubled thick (1/8") pieces of glass from a local glass shop. Aluminum trim will cost you around $200+ since shipping is incredibly expensive. The rest is minimal cost. So for about $375 I can build two doors.

In 202 my son built a foamie and spent just under $800 for two doors from Vin. Tech. Prices have increased about 50% since. Costs rise due to availability of materials and teardrops are becoming popular. More demand on limited supplies effects all pricing.

Today, I see many choices on Vintage Tech's website. For a 28x36 square bottom door the price with trim ring and install kit is $502, add shipping of $107 for a total of $609.45, EACH. Your shipping will be different. I'm just a state away. So $1200+/- for two doors shipped vs under $400 for DIY. There is some validity in the argument that building vs buying is a PITA, but, for all you folks that are new to this take unsupported statements that they cost almost as much with a grain of salt. You CAN build them yourself. They are not easy but definitely not the most challenging part of a build from scratch.

For my 2023 foamie build I spent $870 for a door and an egress window. I was in a rush to complete the build for a planned camping trip in September so I purchased doors.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby 23Sojourney45 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:29 am

TimC wrote:I don't know where you found the comments that DIY doors are almost the same. Today's prices for the same door handles I put on my first teardrop are $57 each, that's about $120 for two. You could probably ebay them for much less. My hinges are heavy duty gate hinges bought from a big box store and they currently go for under $8 per hinge, so about $32 for four. I built Wiley windows which cost me about $25 for two tempered, doubled thick (1/8") pieces of glass from a local glass shop. Aluminum trim will cost you around $200+ since shipping is incredibly expensive. The rest is minimal cost. So for about $375 I can build two doors.

In 202 my son built a foamie and spent just under $800 for two doors from Vin. Tech. Prices have increased about 50% since. Costs rise due to availability of materials and teardrops are becoming popular. More demand on limited supplies effects all pricing.

Today, I see many choices on Vintage Tech's website. For a 28x36 square bottom door the price with trim ring and install kit is $502, add shipping of $107 for a total of $609.45, EACH. Your shipping will be different. I'm just a state away. So $1200+/- for two doors shipped vs under $400 for DIY. There is some validity in the argument that building vs buying is a PITA, but, for all you folks that are new to this take unsupported statements that they cost almost as much with a grain of salt. You CAN build them yourself. They are not easy but definitely not the most challenging part of a build from scratch.

For my 2023 foamie build I spent $870 for a door and an egress window. I was in a rush to complete the build for a planned camping trip in September so I purchased doors.

TimC, thanks for replying :thumbsup: . I know that I'm not the only one, now and in the future, that will keep reading TNTT comments about DIY Doors vs. prefab. I'm sure that regardless of the year, those comments were proportionate to the cost/time of the DIY Doors vs pre. Some people advised to buy prefab and some people advised to build your own. Without a doubt, I've seen TNTT'ers show pictures of their DIY Doors and I applaud them. While some others, doors ended up twisting or not fitting right. Its great that we have a variety of experiences on here to share and people can take it for what its worth. Again, proportionate to the times dealing with costs, builders have built doors that may have cost as much due to the fact that their hardware/trim styles etc...appealed to them and may have cost them a pretty penny vs getting cheaper hardware IMO. I'd like to try to build my doors, but still on the fence deciding. Which is why I was asking about vintage tech and shipping costs (according to your comment, there is shipping). Thanks Tim for the reply. :worship:
23Sojourney45
Teardrop Advisor

Return to General Discussion