Dean_A's Build--FINISHED!!!

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Juneaudave » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:19 pm

That's absolutely beautiful!!!! 4.5 years, but I understand why...it givesyou some time to get things just the way you want!!!
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Dewi » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:31 pm

Looks fantastic... love the interior and that bunk idea is inspired! Never would have thought of that in a million years!

Cheers, Dewi
Dewi
Teardrop Master

Postby BobR » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:33 pm

Dean, Very nice and excellent work. Now go out and enjoy it!
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Postby cdfnchico » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:49 pm

Dean...it's just beautiful! We're thinking of incorporating a bunk for a grandchild in ours... I'm inspired!
Cathy
Build thread - Just Chillin'
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=25151

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby Dean_A » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:21 pm

Dewi wrote:Looks fantastic... love the interior and that bunk idea is inspired! Never would have thought of that in a million years!

Cheers, Dewi

Thanks! The bunk supports slide in wood workers T-Track. In trying to make sure we had enough leg room and our daughter had enough head room, it was important that her canvas bunk stay nice and tight and not sag too much. This way I can move the supports to keep the bunk tight, and also move it out of the way if we need room to change, play cards, etc.

Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dean_A » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:25 pm

Juneaudave wrote:That's absolutely beautiful!!!! 4.5 years, but I understand why...it givesyou some time to get things just the way you want!!!
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Thanks, though it wasn't 4.5 years of solid work by a long shot. I had huge gaps where I didn't do a lick of work. Just too many irons in the fire to make fast progress. Plus I'm a designer, and kind of a perfectionist, so everything had to be *just right*. At least within the scope of my limited wood working skills. :lol:
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dewi » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:01 pm

I noticed that pic in your album... that is a really clever use of T Track... use that stuff, or I have done in the past, for making up road signs. As I say, wouldn't have thought for a minute to make a retractable and adjustable bunk with it!

Could I ask, what thickness of tubing have you used for the cross bars of the bunk?

Cheers, Dewi
Dewi
Teardrop Master

Postby greg755 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:17 pm

WOW
it is 4.5 years well spent... NICE JOB :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"It is a cruel thought, that, when we feel ourselves standing on the firmest ground in every respect, the cursed arts of our secret enemies, combining with other causes, should effect, by depreciating our money, what the open arms of a powerful enemy could not." --Thomas Jefferson to Richard Henry Lee, 1779. ME 4:298, Papers 2:298
greg755
Grand Poobah

Postby Dean_A » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:25 pm

Dewi wrote:I noticed that pic in your album... that is a really clever use of T Track... use that stuff, or I have done in the past, for making up road signs. As I say, wouldn't have thought for a minute to make a retractable and adjustable bunk with it!

Could I ask, what thickness of tubing have you used for the cross bars of the bunk?

Cheers, Dewi

I just used standard wood closet rod dowel. It's about 1 1/4".
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:25 pm

Dean:

You did a beautiful job! It looks great!

Congratulations!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby toypusher » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:57 pm

Dean,

You did a fantastic job!! :thumbsup:

I love it! :applause:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Dewi » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:04 pm

Dean_A wrote:I just used standard wood closet rod dowel. It's about 1 1/4".

Cool, thanks Dean! :)

Cheers, Dewi
Dewi
Teardrop Master

Postby kennyrayandersen » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:07 pm

Dean_A wrote:
Dewi wrote:I noticed that pic in your album... that is a really clever use of T Track... use that stuff, or I have done in the past, for making up road signs. As I say, wouldn't have thought for a minute to make a retractable and adjustable bunk with it!

Cheers, Dewi

The bunk supports slide in wood workers T-Track. In trying to make sure we had enough leg room and our daughter had enough head room, it was important that her canvas bunk stay nice and tight and not sag too much. This way I can move the supports to keep the bunk tight, and also move it out of the way if we need room to change, play cards, etc.

I was thinking you could add a bunk that way, but the slider is a VERY nice touch. I was only a little worried that the 1 1/4 rod bight bend, shorten, and fall out -- no problems with that? How much weight do you think that would support -- obviously the width of the tear would have an affect on that.
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dean_A » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:34 pm

kennyrayandersen wrote:
Dean_A wrote:

Cheers, Dewi

The bunk supports slide in wood workers T-Track. In trying to make sure we had enough leg room and our daughter had enough head room, it was important that her canvas bunk stay nice and tight and not sag too much. This way I can move the supports to keep the bunk tight, and also move it out of the way if we need room to change, play cards, etc.

I was thinking you could add a bunk that way, but the slider is a VERY nice touch. I was only a little worried that the 1 1/4 rod bight bend, shorten, and fall out -- no problems with that? How much weight do you think that would support -- obviously the width of the tear would have an affect on that.

There is no way that rod could bend and pop out of the supports. I climbed onto the bunk just for kicks and it held my weight fine and I'm about 185. I figure if the rod can hold a closet full of clothes, it can certainly hold the weight of a person. A lot would depend on how the supports were mounted to the walls. I figure that's the most likely point of failure. FYI, my tear is just shy of 5' wide, so the rods are about 53" long.
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby kennyrayandersen » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:03 pm

good to hear. Sometimes you think about stuff and you think that should be fine, and it is. Other times you think that looks great... and it ain't; so it's always good to get feed back after something has actually been built and tried. Anyway -- great idea! :thumbsup:
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques