Seals and Aluminum Trim

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Seals and Aluminum Trim

Postby Capebuild » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:39 am

Good Morning.
I've been working on the final layout for the hatch. With that I'm trying to determine the sealing and aluminum trim for not only the hatch and galley area but also for all the corners for the entire trailer cabin, as it all seems to tie into one another. Sheathing the sides and roof with .040 aluminum. I had originally cut out a 3/8" inch recess on the trailer's sides for a strip of trimlok for the hatch to land on, but not sure I'll be following that original design (pic attached just below).

side notch.jpg
side notch.jpg (262.21 KiB) Viewed 544 times

I'm planning on using the wide offset "T" aluminum molding from Vintage Technologies on the 3 side edges of the hatch to land on a seal of some sort but I'm having trouble envisioning how the other corner moldings tie into that, like on the other side of the hurricane hinge. In "web searching" I can see on other trailers there seems to be a continuous molding channel filled with the vinyl insert but I can't see how the hatch door lands on top of that to create a seal, unable to find some close up shots of how all this comes together (with the acceptation of the attached from Vintage Technologies). I'm wondering if the continuous molding I see has the vinyl insert until it hits the hurricane hinge and then under the hatch edge rather than the vinyl strip a trimlok seal is inserted into the alum molding rather than the vinyl insert (in that same aluminum molding??).

So.... I'm asking if members could post some various pictures of their aluminum moldings and also especially the areas around the hatch and where the hatch lands on the seal (like before the hurricane hinge and after the hinge. Any other more detailed photos would be a big help.

Thank you very much.... I know it's some work to take photos and post ... I really appreciate the help.

Regards
John
Attachments
vinttech 1.jpg
vinttech 1.jpg (350.24 KiB) Viewed 544 times
VT 2.jpg
VT 2.jpg (360.67 KiB) Viewed 544 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Seals and Aluminum Trim

Postby twisted lines » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:12 am

Here is the left over 10" of T,
and a seam I got in the Q seal all stuck together
Attachments
Q Seal.jpg
Q Seal.jpg (76.36 KiB) Viewed 538 times
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:27 pm

John, like anything there are numerous ways to do things.
I learned on this forum to use RV insert molding the full length of the corner of the walls and galley hatch.
Where you have roll pans you may need to anneal the aluminum and possibly dish out the edge to make tight turns like I have done.
I use Chicago Screws to attach it to the galley lid.
The Vinyl Insert Trim Molding will shrink in length so I use end caps to hold it in place and it looks finished that way too.
I use the galley hatch seal under the lid overhang like is on Vintage technologies website.
And a "D" seal to seal that 1/4" gap between the lid and inner wall.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Capebuild » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:53 pm

Thanks TwistedLines and Danny for your help. Appreciate it.

Danny, I was looking through some screen shots I had of your trailer.... attached is one that seems to make it clear how you do your seals. Do I have the labeling correct on the attached image...regarding the D seal and the second seal on the side wall?

Thanks very much again. Slowly trying to figure this out and what will work for my trailer.
John
Attachments
hatch sealing HDD.jpg
hatch sealing HDD.jpg (163.71 KiB) Viewed 490 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:17 pm

Capebuild wrote:Thanks TwistedLines and Danny for your help. Appreciate it.

Danny, I was looking through some screen shots I had of your trailer.... attached is one that seems to make it clear how you do your seals. Do I have the labeling correct on the attached image...regarding the D seal and the second seal on the side wall?

Thanks very much again. Slowly trying to figure this out and what will work for my trailer.
John

Yes you do John.
Here's a better view of those additional seals.
I use "T" molding on the bottom of the galley lid with the ribbed seal.
I don't have the room for a CNC so I mock up things to make sure they will mate up correctly.
The first layer taped to the wall is my lid clearance and the second stack of plywood is the actual thickness and shape of the lid.
I have the actual clearances for top and bottom of the lid with spacers.
After the lid is installed I'll crawl inside the galley and have my wife close the lid :NC or I'll place a camera in there to take a picture.
It's nice to have a visual of the closed area, comes in handy when figuring out the gas struts placement.
You might find some seals that work at Home Depot etc. rather than having them shipped to you.
:D Danny

ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Capebuild » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:56 am

Thank you Danny for the extra pictures. Very helpful. There's a number of ways I can go about the hatch design.... trying to determine what's the best fit. Always a
balance between design and function
:roll:

John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques