Looking for Drip Cap Suggestions

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Looking for Drip Cap Suggestions

Postby Capebuild » Mon May 09, 2022 6:17 pm

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a drip cap (make and model would be great) that would go over the doors.

The ones I've looked at ..... I can't really tell how "substantial" they are. Just looking for a suggestion from members who like the ones they have.

Thanks

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Looking for Drip Cap Suggestions

Postby lfhoward » Mon May 09, 2022 8:47 pm

Hi John,

These are the ones I used and I really like how they look. You can get them in different lengths to suit your application.

https://www.vintagecampers.com/drip-cap-31/

Lauren
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Capebuild » Tue May 10, 2022 9:22 am

Thanks Lauren. Those caps look pretty nice. I went to their site. I realized I need to bend the cap slightly to match the curve in the door. Just need to figure out how to do that without it kinking up.

Thanks again
John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Tue May 10, 2022 9:41 am

I was thinking about that after I made the suggestion. My trailer is square and straight lines match the aesthetic. On yours they would need to be curved. The aluminum is not so thick that it wouldn’t be bendable. Maybe you could make some sort of wooden jig that matches the curve of your door, then bend the drip cap over the top of it, screwing it down as you go? Then transplant to the trailer after? I know the caps aren’t cheap, but you could get 3 so you have one to practice on. Also, look up annealing aluminum to make it more pliable around corners. Some folks do that with roof edge moldings to get straight sections to bend more readily. I know making a nice looking bend in a drip cap like this would not be easy, but of any builder working on a trailer right now, I would say you could make it happen!
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Capebuild » Tue May 10, 2022 11:16 am

lfhoward wrote:On yours they would need to be curved. The aluminum is not so thick that it wouldn’t be bendable.

I was thinking that.... nice to know they're not too thick. I was thinking I could actually use the door as a form. I also had this thought I could dish out the top flange a bit between the holes for fastening which would relieve some material to try and prevent kinking.

I'll give it some thought. I've got plenty else to do :)

thanks again.

John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue May 10, 2022 11:29 am

Unless you have shrinkers and stretchers, and the knowledge to use them, I don't think you would have much luck getting performed drip edges to change form enough.

You are probably better off starting with less expensive flat stock and hammer forming to your own buck.

Check out Make It Kustom' youtube video (or similar from Ron Covell). He makes his form out of steel, but for aluminum sheet you can use hard wood or cabinet grade ply for the forms.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Tue May 10, 2022 5:00 pm

Thanks for your suggestion, KC. I don't know that I have the 'bandwidth", at this point, to make my own dripcaps :?
but thanks for the suggestion.

I did see this TrimLok black PVC drip cap that is flexible. Not sure how this would look or if it will work.... but would probably be easy to bend to the shape I'd like.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 5.54.15 PM Large.jpeg
Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 5.54.15 PM Large.jpeg (69.14 KiB) Viewed 323 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue May 10, 2022 7:10 pm

Hi John,

I have a few feet of that Trim-Lok J molding, except maybe mine is smaller: 1/2 inch tall by 3/8 inch wide. (Shelly tells me I was supposed to put ours on the bottom of our hatch, and she still wants it :NC )

Anyway, if the radius of bend is fairly large, it looks like it might work for you. Just eye-balling it, maybe a 4 inch radius max. But then, there may be some tricks like heating it or something that would make it bend easier.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Tue May 10, 2022 7:24 pm

Here’s an aluminum version of the above that I think would match your trailer’s aesthetics better, imo.

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/j-rail-for-roof-edge-gutters-soft-vts-3002/

Another option:

https://www.horsetraileraccessorystore.com/Aluminum-Drip-Rail-Trim-34-x-12_p_456.html
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TimC » Tue May 10, 2022 7:49 pm

John, towards the end of page five of my build I describe my first go at annealing aluminum t molding. It works really well and despite the look of the burnt soap it cleans up easily. If not for this task maybe you could use it for future reference.

https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575&hilit=annealing&start=60
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue May 10, 2022 10:46 pm

John, I use aluminum J molding that has Universal Bullseye stamped on it.
It's 7/8" tall and the leg of the J sits out just under 1/2", very similar to what lfhoward posted.
E Trailer has something similar but sticks out 1/4".
I aneal it with map gas and bend it around the door slowly swooping away from the door for drainage.
I also put it in front of the hinge( mitered ) as an extra defense from road rain.
I also put 1" aluminum 90 degree angle under the doors as an extra defense from road driven rain.
Friends were putting a plastic bag at the door gasket of their teardrop to keep the rain out.
Now they have the 90 degree angle too and it seems to work.
See my signature photos for an example.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Capebuild » Wed May 11, 2022 5:22 am

Thank you all for the continued suggestions.

Lauren, I've purchased some items (my marker lights) from Vintage Trailer. I do like the "J" molding from the link you posted. So thanks for that.
And Danny, I've noticed in the past your rain gutter, just wasn't sure what the shape was.... And I noticed how you extend it out past the door (overhang).

So, all good info. I had one other thought about looking at aluminum tube, slicing it in half along the length and reforming it. But the "J" molding seems to offer the same result....

And thanks Tim for the tips about annealing from your page. I don't know that the curve is extreme enough for aluminum to be annealed.... I think it should bend easily enough, and if its
bent more than the curve, I'm sure it will have a bit of spring back. The Vintage Trailer product seems like it should bend fairly easily.

Thanks all again.... appreciate the help and suggestions!

John

EDIT: Just saw this product from Eagle Aluminum. I'm finding the shipping costs to ship these long pieces is REALLY EXPENSIVE!!! :thumbdown:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 8.04.00 AM Medium.jpeg
Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 8.04.00 AM Medium.jpeg (40.31 KiB) Viewed 242 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Graniterich » Wed May 11, 2022 8:33 am

Capebuild wrote:Thanks for your suggestion, KC. I don't know that I have the 'bandwidth", at this point, to make my own dripcaps :?
but thanks for the suggestion.

I did see this TrimLok black PVC drip cap that is flexible. Not sure how this would look or if it will work.... but would probably be easy to bend to the shape I'd like.
How to used the aluminum version and slightly bent with no problem. Only picture available to me right now. Image

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques