Shimming Refrigeratior Hinges

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Shimming Refrigeratior Hinges

Postby Capebuild » Thu May 19, 2022 4:15 pm

I'm planning on installing the 2 cabin doors and was looking over how I'm going to attach the refrigerator hinges. Because of the moldings I have on the doors the hinge ends are very close to that molding. I don't want there to be any interference or rubbing surprises (hinge contacting molding) when I get the door hung.

My question.... is it typical (or okay) to shim the hinges. I'm thinking like an 1/8 inch shim plate under both hinge half that goes on door and a shim plate on the cabin body half.

Sound okay?

thanks

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Shimming Refrigeratior Hinges

Postby aggie79 » Fri May 20, 2022 5:42 pm

Hi John,

I used 1/8" thick nylon to shim my refrigerator-style hinges. I cut the nylon to fit the footprint of the teardrop side of the hinge. This moved the plane of the door out 1/8" from the plane of the teardrop sidewall to allow room for weather seals.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Capebuild » Fri May 20, 2022 6:42 pm

Thanks a lot Tom. I just went ahead and shimmed the cabin side like you did. If fact, your shims look exactly like my shims. And so do your hinges, probably the same from McMaster. I used black ABS I had for the shims. I think the door actually warped a bit as I'm gettin some unevenness ....like all the surfaces of the door moldings are not making contact with all the surfaces on the cabin moldings. I'm going to have to try some different weather gaskets/stripping combinations to make sure all is sealed and maybe have some secondary seals.

thanks again for sharing your solution with the hinges.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Fri May 20, 2022 9:38 pm

I did the same. I am pretty sure I got the idea from Tom’s build, too!

I stacked two shims under each hinge because that worked best with the foam thickness I could find for sealing the doors.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JasenC » Sun May 22, 2022 10:25 pm

I shim hinges all the time. You can get plastic shim stock at the lumber yard, usually comes from 1/32nd to 1/4.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby MickinOz » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:50 pm

The other day, I went to remove my doors to add shims so I could fit the new seals.
I couldn't get the hinges off the body of the trailer! I was a bit bemused, then I remembered I'd put the doors on over fairly fresh poly, and dipped the screws before winding them in to boot. I decided not to use brute force, I could just see the first veneer peeling before the hinge came away,
The doors came off the hinges OK. So I scribed around the hinges, and with my heart in my mouth used my small router to rebate the hinge into the door. The nett effect is the same, the door is now slightly proud of the TD wall to allow for installation of the seal, but man it was nerve wracking.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques