painted trailer

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

painted trailer

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:40 am

I use top of the line Home Depot house paint amd over the years the top layor of the skin has flaked back relieving the wood under the paint. This is mostly ate the door interference on the out side of the main wall.

One thought is to frame the outside line to hide it and reinforce the outside walls. Most of the wood I get is from the Home Depot and I have found at times the plywood is not fully glued and if I get 2x4 s i buy kiln dried, most of their wood is still wet. I buy there wood becaue I work there and I am there so I buy it. But if you are willing to pay a little more, look at your local lumber yard.

I could sand down the chip and repaint it too.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: painted trailer

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:58 pm

My trailer is painted with boat paint, which is a little more weather resistant. But even that eventually needs some care as soon as those little "old age" hairline cracks show up...and they will. I'm a fan of first putting on a coat of Titebond II followed by a touch-up of your paint the next day. Painted trailers are similar to painted boats. They need some TLC during the "dry dock" months (and sometimes sooner). You need to attend to those spots as soon as you can, when you see them. Also, those little indented places that you've neglected (may I never see one) can be filled in with a paste made of Titebond II and saw dust. Coat the blemished area first with a little Titebond then apply the TBII paste. Allow to dry before repainting. (TBII is said to be water proof.)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: painted trailer

Postby EZ » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:30 pm

I agree with Sharon: if you are going to paint a wooden travel trailer you will end up doing some upkeep. Built both of mine from big-box store wood/plywood. Most recent one using mostly Home Depot wood. Coated (boat builders call it encapsulated) the thing in epoxy, sanded, another coat of epoxy, sanded and painted numerous coats of latex paint. Still, somehow, moisture gets in some places (I swear I paid especial attention to the end grain) and I have to sand and fill and paint. It sat outside all winter (Minnesota) which didn't help. I guess that is the price for using what I can afford. Looks great most of the time. Hoping to find some way to cover it or store it in a garage this winter. Better yet head south!

Ed

EZ
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques