Advice On Current Design Idea

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Advice On Current Design Idea

Postby TrailerCurious » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:35 pm

The files uploaded show what I am currently thinking for my squaredrop design. I have the opportunity to buy a 4X8 trailer for pretty cheap but would like a 5X8 base for a queen-size mattress. To accomplish this I am thinking of doing an elevated base out of 2X4s that would contain 2 long pull-out drawers for storage and to keep the base from being wasted space. The floor would be 3X4 Plywood. The sides would have a 1/4" plywood Exterior With 1X4 framing with Insulation in between boards finally the interior would be 1/8" Plywood. The framing material would be flush with the elevated base so the 1/4" plywood would cover both and provide a cleaner look. Thinking of running a 2X2 strip of wood around the base of the sides to help secure the sides to the base a little better. The whole exterior would be covered in .024 Gauge Aluminum to help with rigidity. There would be a gallery in the back that would be About 1' deep. Mostly wondering if there are any suggestions on the structure. I believe it should be sturdy enough but this is my first time building a squaredrop and would like to keep overlooks to a minimum. Any advice is welcome. Thank you in advance!
Attachments
Screenshot (3).png
Above View
Screenshot (3).png (931.34 KiB) Viewed 266 times
Screenshot (2).png
Side Profile
Screenshot (2).png (818.18 KiB) Viewed 266 times
Screenshot (1).png
Wall Detail
Screenshot (1).png (277.75 KiB) Viewed 266 times
"The beauty and charm of the wilderness are his for the asking, for the edges of the wilderness lie close beside the beaten roads of the present travel."
- President Theodore Roosevelt
TrailerCurious
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Advice On Current Design Idea

Postby tony.latham » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:36 pm

My first reaction is it looks heavy. But maybe not. I think you'll have to have stools to get in and out since the door opening is so high off the ground.

You can remove the "fastening board" by using pocket screws (and PL3 adhesive).

I also run screws in at 90ยบ to the floor. But my floors are a framework that is 1-1/4" thick.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques