How to strech from 5 x 8 to 5 x 10

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

How to strech from 5 x 8 to 5 x 10

Postby Huggybeer » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:22 pm

Hello All,
I am looking for some advice on my trailer I am building. The plans I was working on call out is for a 5 x 8 trailer with 5 x 8 walls. The walls that I have currently made and tried attaching to my floor, I noticed that my door opening will be over my tires. At this point I have attached my floor which measures for the 5 x 8 to the trailer frame. My exterior wall is cedar pickets machined down and laminated to my 1/2 interior wall. My trailer is actually a 5 x 10 with a 3500lb axle which I got for a great deal. My goal was to use the extra 2' for installing an A/C unit in the front of the trailer. I am guessing because of the length of my trailer is why my axle sits where it does. I cannot move my axle because there is a cover over the axle to which my axle is welded to. I would have grind the box and /or the axle and reweld (too much work). So, my question is can I extended my walls and floor to make this work or start over again. I appreciate any and all ideas. Also is there a formula to tell you how far the door should be from the tires?

PS. I am new here and really enjoy all the information.

James
Huggybeer
Teardrop Inspector

Re: How to strech from 5 x 8 to 5 x 10

Postby tony.latham » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:31 pm

Photos would make this a lot clearer.

I am guessing because of the length of my trailer is why my axle sits where it does.

The axle should be near the 60/40 point on the frame for the trailer to track properly without too much tongue weight.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques