UV safe RFP ? Painting RFP

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

UV safe RFP ? Painting RFP

Postby cubflyer » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:55 pm

It’s time to think about the exterior of my squaredrop. My sides are 5/8 exterior ply. I plan on covering them with something. I’ve heard that HD brand of RFP will deteriorate rather quickly in the sun. I have heard that there is a UV safe FRP. If anyone has information on uv safe FRP, please let me know. Otherwise please chime in. If I end up using big box FRP, then 2 questions. What adhesive
shoud I use to avoid de-lamination, and if I paint it, do I have to prime it first ? What paint works well on FRP. I know all this has been asked before. Filon would be my first choice but I’m trying to keep my first build in the budget. Thanks.
cubflyer
Teardrop Inspector

Re: UV safe RFP ? Painting RFP

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:13 am

All the FRP we installed on job sites over MR drywall used their mastic. I used another form of FRP on my truck camper over foam. This is a proprietary FRP called Kalwall. It's main use is as side walls and skylights. So UV resistant. Very expensive to buy retail! I'm lucky enough to live near and can buy from their 'opps' stock.

Resin was my choice of adhesive. I still had to rough up the face with coarse sand paper. I have installed FRP panels outside in overhangs/ambulance entrances, but that came pre-glued to plywood. Suspect in the same fashion is veneer is glued under pressure.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cubflyer » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:35 pm

Went down to my local HD today and looked at the FRP. On the surface the stuff looks pretty good. Probably put the smooth side down just to get more surface area for bonding.
Here's another question for anyone reading this. I'm seeing videos where builders zip out through the door and window openings cutting the skin very neatly with a router.. If I have bonded the FRP to my plywood with epoxy resin, would a router be suitable for smoothing out the cuts ? If so, what router bit did you use for this. Thanks...Matt
cubflyer
Teardrop Inspector

Postby twisted lines » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:20 pm

Flush cut Router bit Or
Nice sharp utility blade, left long and trace your pattern :thinking:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cubflyer » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:07 am

Thanks for the info. I'll look at flush cut router bits online.
cubflyer
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques