2 Stroke Generartor and C-Pap system

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

2 Stroke Generartor and C-Pap system

Postby kartvines » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:01 pm

I just picked up a small two stroke 1000 watts generator. Wondering if any one had any experience with this small generator, and if it met their overall needs. I wanted to be able to run my C-Pap Machine, which I need to breath at night. This generator also has a 12volt connections, which I though would aid me, if I have no shore power, to run my 12 volt system. Feed back welcome. :thinking: If any one has installed a c-pap machine into their tear, I would welcome knowing how they did it. Where they ran the hoses, how they cleaned them and where they installed the machine. I thought I would have a location for my machine in the galley, but that is a lone run for the hoses, and I am lost in how to sterilize them without removing them.

Mike
Image..Image..Image..
Image.
kartvines
500 Club

Postby Syekick » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:51 am

As a former C-Pap of 8 years, here are my thoughts. I cleaned my mask never my hose. My C-Pap vendor and sleep study Dr only cared about the mask. The only discharge when exhaling goes through the ports in the mask. I don't see how anything can get back up the hose to be a significant health risk. But then I was a high pressure user, 12 cm H20. If I were concerned I would at a 12" extension to the regular hose so I could remove / clean it on a permanant installation.

I plan on charging my 12V system when on shore power so will use 12V for almost everything. I would hook the C-Pap up on the 12 V circuit on a interior cabin socket. Also, with 12V system you could camp in area's without shore power. I'd just build a small shelf on "my" side near the ceiling that would hold the unit. I'd wire a socket for the unit. I'd make sure it had sides so I couldn't pull it down on my head at night. I used the Solo unit which was quite small. With this method the entire unit would be as it sits beside the bed. Easily removable and cleanable. If I had a closet or storage at the head of the bed I might put it there instead.

C-Pap hose. Several years ago I was able to find a 10ft C-Pap hose on the internet for about $25. That gave me plenty of movement room for nearly all situations. That should give you plenty of length if you go permanant.

Another thought on permanant installation if I was going to do it. I'd plumb with PVC (figuring out the connectors might be a little tricky) and clean it with a stanitizing solution on a flexible synthetic "feather" duster.
<b>Fudd's First Law of Opposition: </b>
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over.
Syekick
Teardrop Builder

Postby beverlyt » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:26 am

Mike,
I take it you have to run the C-pap machine all night long?

This is a new/good topic. I would think there might be people that have a need for power for different medical devices.

Having had asthma all my life, I invested in one of these:
http://www.pari.com/products/pariTREK.html

It is very small and portable. I charge the battery it comes with before I leave home. I'm also able to use it via 12v from in the tear or the car.
If I need it, it is tucked inside the teardrop in the back cupboard.

These machines only need to run for about 5 minutes at a time though. I could see where having something that had to run all night would require more.
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby madjack » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:02 am

...KartV, I and I am sure others would like your impressions on the generator...specifically how loud is it and does it seem to be a well built unit
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

C-Pap and generators

Postby kartvines » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:47 am

My doctor tell me I must clean my hose at least every week, and my c-pap machine is only 120volt, I have seen others that are 12volts, but The V.A. does not offer that model. To others who are unsure of what the C-Pap machine does, it forces air down our nose and into to our air way helping our air way to remain open, in my case I stop breathing about 22 times a hour and with out the machine, which I have now been on for 7 years, and this machine run the entire time I am sleeping.

As for the generator, it a very small unit. I will give the report of it at another time, later on today once I have the details in front of me.

Mike
Image..Image..Image..
Image.
kartvines
500 Club

Postby catrinka » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:32 am

When we were tent campping Bob ran his c-pap machine off an inverter that was hooked up to the car battery. We never had any problems with it running down the car battery. In the trailer, we plan on building a shelf on Bob's side of the bed/trailer to house the c-pap. Bob is looking after figuring out the wiring in the trailer so I can't really tell you what he has planned there.
catrinka
500 Club

1000 Watts / 10 Amp small generator

Postby kartvines » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:01 pm

For those who wanted information about the generator I just pick up, the data is below:

Generator Model #ETQ-950 Ser #12004008617
Type TG1200

Operates appliance up to 10 amps

Use to charge vehicle battery
Runs 1,000 watts continuous w/ 12 volt DC outlet and 1 110 AC outlet

Approx 5.5 hour run time on single 1 gallon tank

In gas oil mix use 10W30 weight oil at a 50 to 1 mix

Feed back welcomed.

Mike

Noise rating 65 DB, sounds like a lawnmower

Weight 45.1 lb empty
49.6 lb with full tank

Overall dimension 15 5/8 in W X 12 5/8 in D X 13 3/16 in H.
Image..Image..Image..
Image.
kartvines
500 Club

Postby catrinka » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:24 pm

Are you planning on running the generator all night or just during the day to top up the battery? I would think that a generator that sounds like a lawnmower would be very annoying in a campground. Also I've noticed in my searching for campgrounds that a lot are stipulating no generators after 8pm.
catrinka
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:31 pm

I've been running a solar panel for a couple weeks now... I've decided against buying a generator. I feel it would be much too noisy for us. And the solar panel works so well. We'll probably buy a second battery as a backup... I'm thinking about a hawker odyssey battery. We have a small one for the trolling motor in the canoe, and it just keeps on going and going and going. The solar panel is so quiet, and my battery is topped off on a daily basis.

A few nights ago we started with 13.65 volts, ran the furnace and the propane detector all night, and ran the lights for a couple hours, and in the morning we still had 12.32 volts left. In other words, we only used 30% of our 84 amp battery. (The propane detector is a hog. I'm thinking about disconnecting it!)

But the bottom line is, for us, it's going to be solar all the way! Silence is golden, or something like that!!! It's cheaper too! :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

c-pap

Postby kartvines » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:41 pm

As far as running the generator all night, never wanted to, but unless I am to discover a way to run may machine all night on a 12 volt battery, then I am lost on knowing what to do, it is not like I have a choice of not using my c-pap machine, I was told by my doctor that it was a matter of life and or death. Still researching other ideas, it seems many people are using the c-pap machines. Maybe I will have to invest in another model, being only a standard 110 ac model is offered by the V.A.

Mike
Image..Image..Image..
Image.
kartvines
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:56 pm

I see 2 options... 1) buy an inverter...
http://www.cpapman.com/cpap.html#anchor8804

2) be sure to camp at campgrounds with a shoreline hookup!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: 2 Stroke Generartor and C-Pap system

Postby Denzagrad » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:18 pm

Mike asked:

"If any one has installed a c-pap machine into their tear, I would welcome knowing how they did it. Where they ran the hoses, how they cleaned them and where they installed the machine. I thought I would have a location for my machine in the galley, but that is a lone run for the hoses, and I am lost in how to sterilize them without removing them."

I have a CPAP in my tear. Its a 12V unit and I wired the front overhead compartment with wiring just for the 12V CPAP connection. I have enough extra 12v cord to move it anyplace in the cabin if needed. You can purchase the 12V electrical connectors for most 12V CPAP machine on line.

I also have a 120V unit. Before I obtained the 12V unit we had a power outage and it was a real pain. So, I went and bought the largest deep cycle battery Cost Co had at the time, also purchased a 700 Watt inverter. Using just the battery and inverter the 120V CPAP ran for 2 nights when the power went down. After two nights of running the inverter runnning the CPAP the battery was still about half charged - it only took 7 amps when first hooked up the charger.

As far as sanitizing. For short durations or when there is no time to do it right, I have used alcohol in a spray bottle and paper towels to clean the mask. If there is no water for washing, I bring sufficient replacement hoses for each night - they don't weight much.

Hope this helps.
Denzagrad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby catrinka » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:00 pm

I had never heard of c-pap machines until 3 years ago when I met Bob. I am amazed at how many there are out there. However, Bob hasn't let it change his lifestyle. He still manages to go hunting and camping in the fall months. I will try to remember to ask Bob about the size of inverter he has.
catrinka
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques