Another tongue question

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Another tongue question

Postby asianflava » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:15 pm

I want to have a straight tongue on my tear. I also want to put a tool box or something on the tongue. I was thinking about having some pieces welded perpendicular to the tongue so that it can support the toolbox.

Will having these pieces welded weaken the tongue?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Re: Another tongue question

Postby David Grason » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:14 am

asianflava wrote:Will having these pieces welded weaken the tongue?

Unless you have your welder set hot enough to burn holes in the tongue and you have to fill the holes with weld, the answer is "no." Welding on supports for a tool box will not weaken the metal.
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.
David Grason
Teardrop Master

Postby fornesto » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:38 am

By straight tongue, I assume you mean not triangular. I currently have a straight tongue and have also considered putting a tongue box on. I can't imagine that a tongue box with any type of real weight could stay balance on the tongue. I'm picturing hitting bumps, jarring the rear axle and that tongue box just wobbling back and forth. If you welded flanges to the straight tongue, I still think the stress of a box wobbling would break most welds in time. A saddle bag type setup might work, but then you're compromising ground clearance. I'm considering welding up a triangle setup to allow for a tongue box and increase tongue weight. It's about 30 lbs. right now.
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:44 pm

asianflava,

A suggestion, consider welding a couple of diagonal supports from the tongue about where the tongue box will start back to the frame.

By doing that, you will strengthen the tongue, add support and attachment places for your box, but maintain the look of a single tongue. ;)
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby asianflava » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:45 pm

Good idea guys, I was considering adding some angled pieces but since my frame is recessed into the body it would mean cutting into the front arc. I guess if I have a tongue box, it will cover that up anyway. If I go with the diagonals it will support the box AND strengthen the tongue. Stopping short of the box is a genius idea Steve, Thanks.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:48 pm

Rocky,
I think you and I have similar tastes...
I wanted that single tounge look also.
I've been looking at the possibilty of a tounge box, except it would also have acess into the cabin.
I'm going to hold off on that and only go that route if I absolutely need the extra storage.
My single tounge will be 2" x 3" x 3/16" box tube.
It's going to gusseted and welded to the bottom side of the 2" x 2" x 1/8" box frame and will extend back to the cross member that is just in front of the axle.
You will see 2" x 2" of it running through the center of the dropped foot well. (It will make a good base for the table pedistal)

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques