Trailer frame modifications.

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Trailer frame modifications.

Postby DestinDave » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:02 am

If I use the Tractor Supply trailer I just picked up (see General Discussion) just as it is I'm going to end up with the following:

4x10 Trailer For Two on the 4x8 frame with 6" over on the front and 18" overhang on the rear. This is going to put the axle center at 66" from the front of the body and 54" from the rear of the body. Should the axle assembly be more towards the rear to prevent swaying? How important is axle location as compared to weight distribution? It may well be easier to extend the frame bed forward and lengthen the tongue. I have a drawing but having trouble scanning it. Will keep working on it and try to load it here. Thanks all... Dave
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby SteveH » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:28 am

Dave,

Been thinking, and that's always dangerous :? , but in reading the issues you have about your trailer, think I have a plan for you.

In your other post about the Tractor Supply trailer, the angle is turned up, you need to relocate the axle and remove the fenders, and you are dissatisfied with the tongue attachment. Why not remove the fenders, axle, and tongue, TURN THE FRAME UPSIDE DOWN, and then reattach the axle where you want it, and reattach the tongue like you want it.

That way all your issues will be solved with the trailer. :)
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Axle location

Postby Guy » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:11 am

Dear Dave,

Both are crritical. Weight distribution(side to side) is important to prevent swaying and loss of traction.

Axle place is concerned with that However, it is really about distribution of weight to insure the correct tongue weight, Tongue weight is one of the most important safety concerns in towing.

If you look at Andrew's site you will find a great discussion of tongue weight and axle placement.

Your tongue weight should be no higher than 13%, nor lower than 8%, of the total weight of your teardrop FULLY LOADED. Remember the real weight of a teardrop is in the rear, if you have a galley. So your axle generally has to be further to the rear. And you are even extending you tear 18" off the rear. Therefore, on average you would have to place you axle 22" closer to the rear.

Check out this great engineering site for safe trailer design, everthing is well explained with pics and diagrams,

http://www.synthx.com/articles/trailer-design.html

DAVE, I just read your othe post giving your trailer sizing and realized you could just lengthen and weld your tongue 2-3 feet and solve both the slop problem and you axle would be in just about the right place.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DestinDave » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:45 am

Steve.. I considered that but the two middle cross-members and the rear are welded the other way (side down) so either way something has to be cut and re-welded. My niece's father-in-law is a welder by trade and I'm going to run a few ideas by him. Thanks...
Guy.. I am going to lengthen the tongue regardless because I want to add a battery box on front and I could probably slide more of the body forward also. Two batteries should offset a lot of the galley weight, eh? Thanks for your input also...
Pictures forthcoming.. Dave
Reality? What a concept!
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby toypusher » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:00 pm

Ever consider putting some 2X wood in the channel (especially if you turn it over) to fill up the space?

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby DestinDave » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:14 pm

Kerry... I had already made a 2x4 floor frame and plywood for the floor (did that last week)... problem now is the frame width of 49" but I think I've figured that out with sandwich walls and extend outer skin down the side of the metal 2x2. Screw through the metal into the 2x4 subframe and it should be solid as Sears...

BTW - a few more pics added at: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/olde_beachbum/my_photos but I forgot to edit titles. Oh well, self-explanatory for the most part.
Reality? What a concept!
DestinDave
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques