Cross Beams or Ribs Question

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Nitetimes » Tue May 09, 2006 11:03 pm

asianflava wrote:Eh, I posted to this when the board went down then it got lost. I'll make a short version:

Argeed with Arne, you don't need a super duper roof.

Put spars wide side down for 3 reasons:
1. easier to hit with the brad nailer (like Arne)
2. easier to butt plywood on a spar
3. more surface area for glue

Yep, all of those 'cept I ripped cheap 2x2's for mine. Two layers of ply with a board between however thick is more than sufficient. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Wed May 10, 2006 5:00 am

I agree with Rich. I bought 10' 2x6s and ripped my 5' spars from them as all were 1" or more wide by 1 1/2" thick, and quite a few that were ripped at angles were even wider.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed May 10, 2006 8:55 am

I used 1" x 1 3/4" popular spaced about every 12", 1 3/4" rigid foam with 2 layers of Baltic Birch covered with .040 aluminum on a 5' wide TD. I have been on my knees on the roof while installing the fantastic fan with no deflection whatsoever. 8) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Loader » Wed May 10, 2006 9:34 am

halfdome, Danny wrote:I used 1" x 1 3/4" popular spaced about every 12", 1 3/4" rigid foam with 2 layers of Baltic Birch covered with .040 aluminum on a 5' wide TD. I have been on my knees on the roof while installing the fantastic fan with no deflection whatsoever. 8) Danny

Danny, is that what many would consider "overbuilt"? Sure it is very strong as you say indicate by the time you spent on top. Would a single 1/8 sheet be strong enough for the outer skin?

Time to use the search function I guess.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed May 10, 2006 11:22 am

Loader wrote:
halfdome, Danny wrote:I used 1" x 1 3/4" popular spaced about every 12", 1 3/4" rigid foam with 2 layers of Baltic Birch covered with .040 aluminum on a 5' wide TD. I have been on my knees on the roof while installing the fantastic fan with no deflection whatsoever. 8) Danny

Danny, is that what many would consider "overbuilt"? Sure it is very strong as you say indicate by the time you spent on top. Would a single 1/8 sheet be strong enough for the outer skin?

Time to use the search function I guess.

asianflava wrote:I used 1X2 Poplar, face down (wide side) 12in on center. With 2 layers of 1/8 ply, it is plenty strong enough. I think Gage did his like that too.

Loader, You may consider it over built but the extra layer if 1/8" ply makes a very stiff form for very little weight gain. I would rather error in over building something than be dissapointed with a failure. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Loader » Wed May 10, 2006 11:51 am

halfdome, Danny wrote:
Loader, You may consider it over built but the extra layer if 1/8" ply makes a very stiff form for very little weight gain. I would rather error in over building something than be dissapointed with a failure. :D Danny

I don't consider it overbuilt Danny. Agree, always error on the side of caution. I said some may, as you know, many threads on that subject. My question was, is a single layer of 1/8 outer strong enough. Of course it is over the 1.5 foam core, and another 1/8 inner skin. I have been searching the subject and find mixed reviews.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Chris C » Wed May 10, 2006 12:26 pm

Earl,

It's just an opinion, but I agree with Danny about "beams" being placed on 12" centers and two layers of 1/8" for the roof................whether planning on leaving the wood exposed or covering it with aluminum. Might be interesting to run a pole on the matter and see what people have done.........or plan on doing.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby cracker39 » Wed May 10, 2006 12:39 pm

A pole? You want a pole??? OK...I wasn't going to chime in anymore. BUT...since you asked....
:twisted:
My spars as described above, 12 inches apart, with 1 layer of 1/4" luan for skins. I think I could stand on the roof if I wanted to without any damage and very little bending. But, who is going to be standing on their roof? And if yor were going to, WHY? And, what else would be up there to bend it? I don't think that a couple of feet of snow on mine would bother it either...not that I live where there is any now.

You had to ask didn't you???
:lol:
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby asianflava » Wed May 10, 2006 2:01 pm

I staggered each layer of ply so that it would cover the places where the bottom layer butted together.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Arne » Wed May 10, 2006 10:44 pm

I am toying with using full foam in the roof, and going with 1/8" ply on the exterior...

Has anyone used 1/8 instead of 1/4? Also, the roof would be fully curved, with the only flat area where the vent would mount.....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Sonetpro » Thu May 11, 2006 5:24 am

I used 2 layers of 1/8" staggered seams. After the first layer I looked at it for strength, it was springy. It looked as if you put the aluminum on it, it would ding and dent easily. The second layer really stiffened it up. My spars are 12" on center in the radius and 18" on center on top.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Jim Marshall » Thu May 11, 2006 11:10 pm

I used 1X2 with 1/8 inch baltic birch inside and outside. I used .040 aluminum skin and I have had no problems at all. The roof is very stiff and it held my weight when I cut out the vent hole, without giving at all. I was very impressed with it's strength. I did use 2X2s for the vent framing. Here is a photo of my spars.

I started out with nothing and I still got plenty left.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby Laredo » Sat May 13, 2006 2:28 pm

Jim Marshall,
did that interior finish come on your ply for the sides, or is that fabric?

It looks so *fine*....
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Jim Marshall » Sat May 13, 2006 6:50 pm

Laredo, it came on the plywood. They have it at Lowe's for about $18 a sheet. Thanks buddy.
I started out with nothing and I still got plenty left.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques