(The Puffin) New Tiny Trailer

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby steve wolverton » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:34 pm

Hi All,

Not much work on the trailer during the week, but I have managed a few small projects. I got the spar mounted on the roof so I wouldn't lose any clearance while inside the doorway - all other spars are internal. I also attached the front/rear upper rub strake - I'll get the lowers this weekend and hit them with the router to round them off.

Here's a pic I just snapped to give an idea of the scale. I'm 6'1" tall and 185 pounds (so I can fit in the doorway :lol:) and I should have no problems stepping over and down into the camper with the dropped floor. I may make a small step that I can place outside for my vertically challenged girlfriends.

The box discussion in the threads got me thinking of putting a tongue box on it. I may buy a plastic one and attach it with ubolts. Also the door is on the right (starboard) side of the camper. I just have it turned around in the garage so I can work on it.
Last edited by steve wolverton on Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby coonrebel » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:39 pm

After looking at your picture of your tire, I notice that you left the hinge on the trailer that make the trailer fold. On mine the rear frame is starting to show a gap between the spring frame and the bed frame.I am going to do away with the hinge and go with a solid piece.
coonrebel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:58 pm

steve wolverton wrote:SkipperSue - Yup, Mr. Murphy sucks. I just went out and measured.

Tire/wheel is about 4.5" wide, I have 5" of clearance from the wheel to the side. Just like I planned. :roll: Actually, it's a happy coincidence. It will work fine like it is. Plus it looks damn cool with the tires hidden like that.

I'd like to see you get a wrench on those lug nuts... :o

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby steve wolverton » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:00 pm

mikeschn wrote:[I'd like to see you get a wrench on those lug nuts... :o Mike...

Ahead of you on that Mike - 3/4" breaker bar and extension already in the SUV. ;) Busted down tires & did repairs for awhile in a previous life.

FWIW - I've hauled boats, trailers, campers, etc. all my life (granted - I'm 32 years old) and I have *never* had a flat. I know, I just jinxed it. :oops:
Last edited by steve wolverton on Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:01 pm

coonrebel wrote:I am going to do away with the hinge and go with a solid piece.

Good call coonrebel. I need to replace that too. *adds to my to-do list*
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:02 pm

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :thumbs up1:
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby BobR » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:07 am

OK Steve...It looks taller than the garage door opening. How do you get it in and out?
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Postby steve wolverton » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:01 am

BobR wrote:OK Steve...It looks taller than the garage door opening. How do you get it in and out?

It's an illusion. ;) It's a tight fit, but it just makes it. The trailer is at 80" and the door is 81".

Steve
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:56 pm

I got a late start today and didn't get as much done today as I had wanted. I got the middle partition in that divides the bathroom from the kitchen area. I also got the bathroom walls up, and I installed the kitchen area. I made the cutout for the dropped floor, and I also started (only 2 frame rails so far) on the bed.

I spent a lot of time on the small kitchen area. It took longer than I thought it would to install. I also had to install a partition under the counter area to divide the counter area in two - the left side is storage for utensils, and the right side is the area for the airconditioner.

Tomorrow I'll get up earlier and want to finish the bed, install the storage above the bed & kitchen area, and finish the dropped floor.

Last edited by steve wolverton on Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kayakrguy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:36 am

Steve,

Wow--nice design, fast build! How many folks do you hire to help on weekends? :lol: ;)

How'd you get that roof ply to bend so fast--what thickness? You gonna insulate the ceiling/sides?

You're the first person I know who times their build with a stop watch :lol:

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby steve wolverton » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:37 am

kayakrguy wrote:How'd you get that roof ply to bend so fast--what thickness? You gonna insulate the ceiling/sides?

You're the first person I know who times their build with a stop watch :lol:

The camper is 6' wide and I used 1/4" for the sides/roof. The front radius is 24" and the rear radius is 36". I guess since I'm bending the 1/4" ply on the 4' side, it bends much easier than if I was trying to bend it lengthwise.

No insulation in this camper. I'm not planning to add any, but I may change it up if I need to later. We have pretty mild winters here, and I'm installing an air conditioner to take the hurt out of the summers.

As for the build time, every weekend I spend building is a weekend I'm not camping. ;)
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Laredo » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:16 pm

Very very very cool, and very fast.
Is the 24'' radius more difficult to bend than the 36" radius with that thickness of ply?
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby steve wolverton » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:30 pm

Laredo - The 36" radius was no problems at all. The 24" radius was a little more stiff than the 36" (obviously) but I would say not bad at all. I was never worried that the plywood was going to break. I also installed it with no help, and it never felt like it wanted to fight me. No steaming or anything drastic like that would be needed. :thumbsup:
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:32 pm

Hi All,

Still cranking away this weekend. I'm about to install the upper storage areas. Back in a few hours. :D

The bed is 12" from the floor. 1x3 for framework except on sides of trailer where I used 1x2's.

WooHoo! I've got a place to rest now.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:47 pm

I thought you would have hinged that bed to take advantage of all the storage space under there... :?

Oh wait, that would have slowed you down... :duh:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques