HF weight comparison to custom buillt trailer

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby D. Tillery » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:34 pm

Yea, I'm wondering if I should build an ark and start rounding up some animals. The only way to tell it is winter in San Antonio is when the monsoons set in!

Hey Steve, The frame looks great. I think you meant 2"x2"x1/8" not 1/4" wall thinkness. The 1/4" weighs 5.4#/ft., 1/8" or 11GA is 2.94#/ft. Maybe we can catch a break on this weather soon.

D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby SteveH » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:41 pm

D.,

Thanks, yes I intended from the start to use 1/4". I tend to err on the heavy side. Do you think it will be strong enough?

I took the design from the Lightweight New Cub: http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear31.htm Then I "strengthened" it a little. :wink:

Hope you didn't have to get out in the weather this morning...I had to go to town in it but fortunately missed the worst of it. We got over 4" here at the house this morning! :shock:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby asianflava » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:21 pm

SteveH wrote: Now all I need is some dry weather so I can get it outside and clean it, prep it and paint it.

I know what you mean, I just came back from Dallas and it rained/drizzled the whole way there and the whole way back. I need to do some work outside but with the driveway wet, I don't want to pull stuff out from the garage.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby BrianB » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:25 pm

It got to the point where I just went back to the office and played Freecell until the storm passed. One of the roads to our office had been washed out during the last flood, so this one sure didn't help.

I'm really interested in knowing if you experience any flexing with your design. Keep us updated.
BrianB
Teardrop Master

Postby tdthinker » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:02 pm

I just looked around for old trailers, luck for me my grandpa owns a car lot for new and used stuff so I found an old pop up and took all day to tear it off. The funny thing is the wholl trailer rips right off but the floor is a B!@& to take off. Plus you can get them cheep, and in any size, and can modify them with a torch. And you can learn how to weld the small spaces that you change, bye
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:11 pm

BrianB wrote:I'm really interested in knowing if you experience any flexing with your design. Keep us updated.

The floor is stiff but I fear that it won't carry my entire weight supported from only the 2 ends (I'm not a small person). I haven't attached it to the sides yet so I put a 2X4 box underneath. When it is all attached, it should be fine. Plus the trailer frame will support it.
Where in town are you? Maybe you can come over and check it out one day. I haven't gotten very far especially the last couple weeks. If you're interested, PM me.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby SteveH » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:24 am

I'm really interested in knowing if you experience any flexing with your design. Keep us updated.

Brian,

I think all frame will flex, but the question is, will it flex too much? I don't know the answer. I can tell you if I stand on one corner of the frame, it will flex, but that is just the frame without a rigid box attached to it, and I'm so far over 200 pounds I don't like to discuss it.

I welcome everyone that wants to come by and take a look and see what you think. Anyone that wants, PM me and I will give you my address.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby GeorgeT » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:54 am

I think all frame will flex, but the question is, will it flex too much?

Steve

My HF trailer frame flexed just as yours. Stand or bare down hard on a corner and it would definitely flex out of shape. But, with the floor firmly attached it flexed less and now with a wall and a bulkhead installed the flex has really been reduced. Another wall and bulkhead and then the front wall will probably do away with the flex. :)
Lookin' up in da skize with ize on da prize
http://home.earthlink.net/~g.teague/
GeorgeT
The 300 Club

Postby BrianB » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:27 pm

SteveH wrote:I welcome everyone that wants to come by and take a look and see what you think. Anyone that wants, PM me and I will give you my address.

I'd really enjoy seeing your frame up close. I'll send you a PM after Thanksgiving when I get back from Amarillo.
BrianB
Teardrop Master

Postby D. Tillery » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:45 pm

Yeah Steve, I wanna come see too. And Holy Smokes Yes I think 1/4" wall tubing is thick enough. You are definitely in overkill mode but you said you had a full size tow vehicle and no real concern with weight so build it to last and take a beating.

Wait, what's that...It's been so long I can barely remember. Is it? Yes I think it is Sunshine! I better go look.

:) D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:54 pm

re h/f trailer... support all 4 corners till you have shell built (and squared up)...including roof. once you are at that point, flex will be non-existent...

If it is straight (with no support) and you start building, you will wind up with a crook (aussie term) trailer.... trust me....

I put my frame on jack stands with no wheels till the 'house' was complete.... it is true and square.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby GeorgeT » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:21 pm

My HF's on stands too. Should come out pretty good. :wink:
Lookin' up in da skize with ize on da prize
http://home.earthlink.net/~g.teague/
GeorgeT
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques