Best way to bend luan without cracking it????

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby David Grason » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:21 am

At first, manhandling the big plywood on the table saw was a bear. But hey, it was a new idea and we'd never done it before on a scale like this. I'd done it many times with custom cabinets and trim carpentry but this was a little different.

But after we'd made about 5-6 passes, we (my wife and I) got into the rhythm of it and it really was quite easy. I will say this though, that doing it the way we did made it a 2 person job.

I'd be interested in trying both the "score with the razor" idea and the "router and jig" idea.
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.
David Grason
Teardrop Master

Postby gardenwood » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:31 pm

Stopped at the Plywood Company of Fort Worth this afternoon.

They have 5x10 3/4" ac exterior. Pricey at $100 per sheet, but we'll only need one for the floor.

Also 5x10 1/2" MDO (signboard) Cost $85 per sheet.

Also told us something we'd not known:
The bendable plywood comes in 2 formats
1. 4 x 8 column, bends the long way. $24 per sheet.
2. 8 x 4 column, bends the short way. $24 per sheet. (Jeepers, hope we got that right. Guess we'll have to ask for sure when we purchase.

Roger and Lois
gardenwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dboyd » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:37 pm

Hello Everyone,
I just wanted to let you know that I used the 1/8" paneling (2 layers) to form my roof. I even ended cutting it in half and running it the four foot way because it was breaking in the eight foot direction. be warned, it can also break in the four foot direction if the groves on the other side fall in the wrong place. I used heavy duty liquid nails to glue the two layers together. :)
There is nothing I cannot do, I just seem to be better at some things than others.
dboyd
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques