(The Puffin) New Tiny Trailer

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby steve wolverton » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:55 pm

mikeschn wrote:I thought you would have hinged that bed to take advantage of all the storage space under there... :?

Oh wait, that would have slowed you down... :duh:

Mike...

No sir. I had originally thought about doing that, but if I hinged it, I would have the back flip up as to make a couch. If you notice, I left the bottom open under the bed. This way we can slide our clothes and gear under the bed. One of the things I disliked about my popup was the storage under the seats. There was a lot of it, but you had to get up and remove everything on the seats to get under to it. With the under the bed storage, I can just reach under there and pull stuff out w/o having to stand up, or relocate my camping buddy to get to the storage. :thumbsup:

Also, I think what is more important than storage, is easily accessible storage. Doesn't matter if you have a ton of storage if you have to take half the camper apart to get to it. I'll have storage above the counter, in the counter, above the bed, below the bed, and next to the bathroom. Storage won't be a problem. :D

I guess I could go back and hinge it later, but I really don't want to mess with hinges, and beds with cushions that have seams in the middle.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:58 pm

Still crankin'!

I've now got storage above the counter. Counter is 24" deep, storage on top is 16" deep. There is 24" from the top of the counter to the bottom of the upper storage area.

All round cutouts will be trimmed with rubber tubing. The blank area on the right of the counter is for the AC.

Off to make the big above the bed storage area now. *grabs water*

Last edited by steve wolverton on Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:12 pm

steve wolverton wrote:Off to make the big above the bed storage area now. *grabs water*

Sitting back and waiting for next batch of photos... *grabs beer* :rofl:

Aw, what the heck, I think I'll go downstairs and see what the Ultralight looks like with a summer's worth of dust on it... :oops:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby NightCap » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:42 pm

I'm hooked to this thread. It is like watching a cool show on TV that progresses so fast that you can watch the whole show in an hour. I am digging the way it is looking. Keep it up amigo. :thumbsup: P.S. I hope this show has a second season. :D
#1 - 100% Done #2 - 100% Done Thinking about #3
NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby SkipperSue » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:52 pm

You are making me feel real slow! :lol: This is fun watching this thread, the speed is incredible! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause: :applause:
Skipper
SkipperSue
Gold Donating Member

Postby steve wolverton » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:27 pm

Wow - I figured it was around 6:00pm and it's only 3:00pm. Truckin' today.

Cutting out the bottom of the rear upper storage area.

Not a single visible spar in the interior! :thumbsup: I tied all my storage areas into them. The rear upper storage area is 13.75" tall, 24" deep, and 72" wide. There is 36" of clearance from the bottom of the rear upper storage area to the top of the bed.

One final storage area to build between the bed and the bathroom wall. It's only 36" tall so I'll have 3 cutouts. On top will be storage for a mini-fridge (thermo-electric cooler).

mikeschn - So how's your ultralight looking?

NightCap - Thanks NightCap! Roughing out the camper goes fast. The small tedious stuff like the interior epoxy work can be done an hour or two after work. The camper is really stiff now. I wouldn't hesitate to yank it down the road like it is. Well, I might put a door on it first. I'm going to finish roughing out the interior, and complete the exterior. As soon as it's water proof, painted, and has doors/windows I'm going camping! I'll do the interior a little at a time.

SkipperSue - I tend to work at a little faster pace than most teardroppers I think. ;) Building is *not* my favorite thing to do. I guess I enjoy it enough to do these projects, but I'm not hardcore enough to steam wood, or the inlay stuff. The people with the patience can do that. I'm one of those modern modular contemporary camper dudes. *ducks from flying bottles*
Last edited by steve wolverton on Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby angib » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:18 pm

steve wolverton wrote:If you notice, I left the bottom open under the bed. This way we can slide our clothes and gear under the bed.

Hey, it's not just easily accessible storage space, I see you've also fitted it with that fancy new Auto-Display™ function that I've read all about - apply the tow vehicle brakes once really sharply just before arriving at the camp site and, voila, all the stuff under the bed is auto-displayed on the trailer floor. I like it.

Andrew ;)
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:22 pm

angib wrote:[voila, all the stuff under the bed is auto-displayed on the trailer floor. I like it.

Andrew ;)

:lol: Point taken Andrew. I'll make sure to stow the good stuff in the car. :thumbsup:

Now that I think about it...I was given a small mesh cargo net a few years back - that would be perfect! I can just unclip it from the bed when we get to our destination.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:20 pm

Ok, last pic for the day. I didn't get the dropped floor created this weekend, that and the doors will be next weekend. I'll start applying epoxy to the camper during the week.

About 90% completed in 2 weekends. Phew! :?

I had a moment (I must be tired) that caught me off-guard. I've been trying to keep my build light as I have a 4cylinder tow vehicle. I grabbed the tongue to lift it to see about how much tongue weight I had after completing the interior. Well...I couldn't move it. I couldn't budge it! Then I remember I had a jackstand under the back of the trailer to keep it from tilting as I was moving around the back working on the bed frame. D'oh! :oops:

Pic is facing forward from the back of the bed. Storage area is between bed & bathroom on the left. Doorway is on the right.

These little storage areas take the longest time to build! Ok, now I have storage everywhere! If I don't have enough storage areas for a weekend, then I'm doing something horribly wrong.
Last edited by steve wolverton on Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Kevin A » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:06 pm

WOW, this has to be a forum record for shortest time on a build or real close to it. Has anyone built a trailer in a shorter amount of time?
Great job, Steve.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm

Does this one count? We built it in one morning! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Kevin A » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:18 pm

mikeschn wrote:Does this one count? We built it in one morning! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mike...

Wow, it even has a galley :oops: :o :( :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby angib » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:33 am

steve wolverton wrote:Then I remember I had a jackstand under the back of the trailer to keep it from tilting as I was moving around the back working on the bed frame. D'oh!

I hope this means you will always remember to put down the rear jacks you're going to need with most of the bed behind the wheels?

OK, maybe you'll need to forget to put the jacks down once - but I bet you won't need to do it twice.....

The racing yachts we built where I used to work sat on trailers that would tip backwards if you forgot to put a jack under the trailer and then walked right to the back of the yacht's cockpit. As the cockpit was at least 8 feet off the ground, as well as dropping six inches when the trailer tipped, it moved backwards about a foot...... and then stopped suddenly when the trailer frame hit the ground. Nobody, ever, forgot to put the jack in, once this had happened to them once!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby McTeardrops » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:31 pm

Image[/quote]

I was worried about the capacity of those wheels/tires, until I realized you left enough room to go dually!
Lenny

[email protected]
I've reached the stage, in life, where my foam has more memory than I do!
McTeardrops
The 300 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:03 pm

McTeardrops wrote:I was worried about the capacity of those wheels/tires, until I realized you left enough room to go dually!

Mmmmm, no.

My camper is so light I could get by with 1 tire. :R
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques