(The Puffin) New Tiny Trailer

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby steve wolverton » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:13 pm

angib wrote:OK, maybe you'll need to forget to put the jacks down once - but I bet you won't need to do it twice.....

I've been down that road Andrew. I had my popup setup in the yard to pack it for a camping trip. My girlfriend came home and pounced on me and we both went flying to the left bunk. I hadn't put the stands down as I wasn't going to lay down - just load the camper. Well, the popup tilts up, she freaks out and takes off running the other direction. I tried to grab her so it would lower back down gently, but she was too fast. The popup then slams back down where it should be.

There was no damage, but she was out the door before we knew what happened. :oops:

And you're right - only takes one time.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tinyshiny » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:40 pm

Wow Steve, what an awesome job. It's like waiting for the next episode of the Sopranos to see what you do next.

Dave
tinyshiny
Teardrop Inspector

Postby steve wolverton » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:03 pm

tinyshiny wrote:Wow Steve, what an awesome job. It's like waiting for the next episode of the Sopranos to see what you do next.

Thanks Dave. If you get a chance, check my build a week or two before Thanksgiving - that's when things should get crazy. :?

BTW, you got any good camping spots in Arizona you could recommend?
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby NightCap » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:55 pm

Hey Steve, I was looking in your pictures and was wondering what you were using for fasteners. What are the little black dots? Sheetrock screws? Just wondering. :thinking:
#1 - 100% Done #2 - 100% Done Thinking about #3
NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:26 pm

NightCap wrote:What are the little black dots? Sheetrock screws? Just wondering.

Yup - sheetrock screws. Same thing I use on all my boat builds too.

Nothing fancy about this project. I don't have any specialty or one-off parts on it. I'm going to have to go back and fill in every one of those holes using epoxy/glass bubble mixture. Glass bubbles mixed with epoxy sands *very* easily.

For the inside, I'm going to use epoxy/wood flour, which is almost impossible to sand. It makes a very strong joint. All the inside corners will be glued using the epoxy fillet method. Instead of a screw every 6" or so holding the camper together, the camper will basically be welded solid using epoxy. :)

Last edited by steve wolverton on Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby NightCap » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:58 pm

cool boat amigo. Yeah, I use a bunch of sheetrock screws too. On this td I'm using all or at least mostly square drive screws. I always wanted to build a boat. I saw this plan to make a boat called the "Idaho" it was a cool design. But I also wanted to build this boat that was a fairly wide rowboat but 4 times as long to give a smoother ride around the sound. It looked like one of those tour boats that go up and down the nile or something. It is pretty frustraiting not being able to build everything all at once. I got some talent but no patience.
NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:25 pm

NightCap wrote:cool boat amigo. I got some talent but no patience.

That pic isn't one of my boats, I should have stated that. It's a good picture of what an epoxy fillet is.

My last boat project was a restoration. It only took me a month. I don't have a lot of patience either - I guess that's why I do my projects so quickly? :thinking:

Here's a little clip of my boat. I know it's a little off-topic - but it does have a little section on epoxy/woodflour repair. :)

http://www.stevewolverton.com/glassmagic56.wmv
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby NightCap » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:26 am

Very nice boat. Looks like a load of fun. I was thinking during the first part of the video that you should have played Metalica or something but it sure picked up towards the end. :D
NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby angib » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:30 am

steve wolverton wrote:For the inside, I'm going to use epoxy/wood flour, which is almost impossible to sand. It makes a very strong joint.

Ideally, you want the finished fillet to have some ductility - this gives it resistance to impact loads (which may or may not be needed on a trailer). The best way to do this is to include some microfibres (known as 'scrambled egg' in some places, because it clumps the same way), which are tiny cotton strands.

I was taught that the best mix for fillets was 1/3rd silica, 1/3rd microfibres and 1/3rd microballons (phenolic bubbles).

If you think sanding a wood flour fillet is hard, just try an all-silica one!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:26 pm

angib wrote:I was taught that the best mix for fillets was 1/3rd silica, 1/3rd microfibres and 1/3rd microballons (phenolic bubbles).

This is the first I'd heard of this. Interesting. I think it may be overkill for my project. The reason I'm using epoxy fillets is for strength & to radius the corners to make it purty. Mine will have screws, epoxy, and my super trailer wall holder ultra-heavy duty (patent pending) dura-lock puffin8r system installed. This is not to be confused with the medium trailer wall holder ultra-heavy duty (patent pending) dura-lock puffin8r system.

angib wrote:If you think sanding a wood flour fillet is hard, just try an all-silica one!

Ugh. :thumbdown: I don't even want to think about that. That's when I break out the grinder.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tinyshiny » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:27 pm

steve wolverton wrote:
tinyshiny wrote:Wow Steve, what an awesome job. It's like waiting for the next episode of the Sopranos to see what you do next.

Thanks Dave. If you get a chance, check my build a week or two before Thanksgiving - that's when things should get crazy. :?

BTW, you got any good camping spots in Arizona you could recommend?

Steve,
Tons of camping spots in AZ. Not sure if you're a boondocker or campground person, but if you're a boondocker come over in the summer and head northeast of Phoenix about 2 hours on top of the Mogollon Rim. Can park anywhere in the Coconino National Forest, 7500 feet, tall pines, absolutely gorgeous. And I know a diner with an awesome $10 prime rib special on Saturday nights. Shoot me a message if you want more.

Dave
tinyshiny
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tinyshiny » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:30 pm

angib wrote:
steve wolverton wrote:For the inside, I'm going to use epoxy/wood flour, which is almost impossible to sand. It makes a very strong joint.

Ideally, you want the finished fillet to have some ductility - this gives it resistance to impact loads (which may or may not be needed on a trailer). The best way to do this is to include some microfibres (known as 'scrambled egg' in some places, because it clumps the same way), which are tiny cotton strands.

I was taught that the best mix for fillets was 1/3rd silica, 1/3rd microfibres and 1/3rd microballons (phenolic bubbles).

If you think sanding a wood flour fillet is hard, just try an all-silica one!

Andrew

Flour, fillets, scrambled eggs. You guys are making me hungry.

Also I dated a girl in college, I think her name was Phenolic Bubbles. :lol:
tinyshiny
Teardrop Inspector

Postby steve wolverton » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:00 pm

tinyshiny wrote:Tons of camping spots in AZ. Not sure if you're a boondocker or campground person, but if you're a boondocker come over in the summer and head northeast of Phoenix about 2 hours on top of the Mogollon Rim. Can park anywhere in the Coconino National Forest, 7500 feet, tall pines, absolutely gorgeous. And I know a diner with an awesome $10 prime rib special on Saturday nights. Shoot me a message if you want more.

Cool stuff Dave! I'm going to be with a couple of friends on the trips this winter (2 different trips in December) and we'll be using electricity. I'd be up for dropping the camper and checking out some of those views during the day. :thumbsup:

I'll fire you a private email when it gets closer to trip time.

tinyshiny wrote:Also I dated a girl in college, I think her name was Phenolic Bubbles.

Sweet Jeebus! We need to swap war stories. ;)
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby angib » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:30 am

I forgot to mention that when using epoxy as a glue, the joint can be strengthened by adding just microfibres to the resin. It also stiffens up the resin a bit which helps with any gap filling.

I stuck my scow (boat) together with epoxy/microfibres - just simple butt joints in 1/4" ply (stitch and tape, without the tape!) - before turning it over to apply the fillets. I didn't try climbing into the boat on the saw horses, but it was quite strong enough to lean into while filleting.

steve wolverton wrote:
angib wrote:If you think sanding a wood flour fillet is hard, just try an all-silica one!

I don't even want to think about that. That's when I break out the grinder.

Nope. That's when you break the grinder. A silica fillet is usually tougher than the sanding discs I use on angle grinders!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:18 pm

angib wrote:I forgot to mention that when using epoxy as a glue, the joint can be strengthened by adding just microfibres to the resin. It also stiffens up the resin a bit which helps with any gap filling.

Does it make a fairly smooth fillet, or does it require a lot of sanding?

angib wrote:I stuck my scow (boat) together with epoxy/microfibres - just simple butt joints in 1/4" ply (stitch and tape, without the tape!) - before turning it over to apply the fillets. I didn't try climbing into the boat on the saw horses, but it was quite strong enough to lean into while filleting.

That's why I was wondering if adding silica to the mix was overkill for my project. Right now I have glass bubbles and wood flour. Do you think I should add some silica, or chopped glass (microfibers right) to the mix?

I saw the picture of the boat you posted in another thread about the fillets, and it took me awhile to get my brain wrapped around it. I saw what looked like a daggerboard on the outside of the boat. What!? Surely this can't be? Looked like a Bolger design. :thumbsup:

angib wrote:Nope. That's when you break the grinder. A silica fillet is usually tougher than the sanding discs I use on angle grinders!Andrew

:frightened: My lungs hurt from the thought.

/doesn't wear mask
//too manly for that crap
///hope I die before I get old
////cough
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques