aluminum frame

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

aluminum frame

Postby David Alston » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:31 pm

I am planning on building a teardrop to pull behind my motorcycle. I was wondering if anyone has tried building an aluminum frame instead of a steel one to form the chasis? A local supplier has 1 3/4 inch square 3/32 wall thickness tubing which I am considering using.
David Alston
David Alston
Teardrop Inspector

Postby D. Tillery » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:41 am

David,
Welcome to the forum. My design is around an all-aluminum frame. If you know how to work with aluminum it is certainly the way to go. For a motorcycle-sized tear you might think about having the tubing rolled for you. What is your aluminum welding experience?

D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Aluminum experience

Postby David Alston » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:07 pm

I am an aircraft mechanic by trade, so most of my experience is with riveted rather than welded aluminum. I have a MIG welder that I have done some welding with. Supplies of any exotic materials are pretty limited locally, so I'll have to do some looking around.
David Alston
David Alston
Teardrop Inspector

Postby D. Tillery » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:16 pm

I don't see why you could not rivet and bolt the whole thing together. It would take much longer than welding it but the end result seems the same.

With the varying prices between aluminum suppliers, and its light weight, you can probably order it from another state. Try http://www.easternmetal.com

D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Re: Aluminum experience

Postby asianflava » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:34 pm

David Alston wrote:I am an aircraft mechanic by trade, so most of my experience is with riveted rather than welded aluminum. I have a MIG welder that I have done some welding with. Supplies of any exotic materials are pretty limited locally, so I'll have to do some looking around.

Hey a fellow A&P! Welcome! Unfortunately I haven't touched an airplane since school.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby catrinka » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:32 pm

And another Canadian!!! Welcome to the board David. :thumbsup:

And Dean....you can cross New Brunswick off your list.
catrinka
500 Club

Postby D. Tillery » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:41 am

Oops. Did I say another state? I guess you could still import aluminum, with NAFTA and all.

I guess I should think a bit longer about the location abbreviations. I glanced at NB and thought Nebraska. Quite a difference between NB and NE! :oops:

D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby purplepickup » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:56 am

David, I think an aluminum frame would be perfect. Especially for a motorcycle trailer. Even if your welding skills or equipment aren't up for the job, you could cut the pieces and have a local welder tig them together. That shouldn't cost much at all.

When I first started thinking about building a trailer I was going to build the frame out of aluminum. I got a good deal on a well designed one already made from steel so I didn't, but all I've done so far is plan....no real construction on the trailer itself, so an aluminum frame is still an option.

By the way, what kind of bike do you ride?
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:08 pm

Another Canadian and another aircraft mechanic. And then there were three. (aircraft mechanic/terdropers that is) :thumbsup:

FWIW My Cargo tear idea is based on a welded alloy tube and angle framework with the aluminum sheet skin riveted on.
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=2344

Someone on this board recently bought a all aluminum teardrop off ebay that was mauufactured by ryan aeronautical in Ca. I think? :thinking:

Welcome, Mark
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Postby MarksMG » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:38 pm

Hi all fellow aircraft mechanics. I thought this site was all boat builders not plane builders. I have worked in the aircraft buisness for 15 years. Now I am in engineering so I dont hold a drill motor or bucking bar very often. I think an aluminum frame would be a great idea. I also think it would be cool to build an all aluminum riveted tear. I think that may be my next project, but I need to finish this one first and dont tell the wife I am talking about #2 already. LOL
"Can we build it? Yes we can!" Bob The Builder
MarksMG
Teardrop Master

ideas, lot of ideas

Postby David Alston » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:54 pm

Thanks to all for the comments. I have been considering a number of design ideas. I still have to keep the weight as low as possible in order to tow it behind my bike. I am still crunching numbers but anything much over 8 feet looks to be too heavy. I am thinking of making up a form core panel for the floor. To get a good "aviation" appearance, I am thinking 2024 clad for the skin. I don't mind the polishing; I am pretty good at it by now.

David
David Alston
David Alston
Teardrop Inspector

aluminium

Postby ceebe » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:44 pm

Gotta jump in an admit that there is yet another aircraft mech here. I just got my IA this week
ceebe
Teardrop Master

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:00 am

dave, check this out. lots of good ideas here.

http://www.happitrails.com/

Mark :thumbsup:
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Postby wrangler tear » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:44 am

Since I am a TIG welder and work with aluminum anyway, I was thinking of the walls of a standard tear being welded aluminum, instead of traditional stick build, like the way high end motor homes are made. The attatching of inner and outer skins would be more problematic though with this method. I wonder how they attatch the Filon to aluminum framed motor homes?
Also if I am not mistaken, if you look at a pic of a "Little Guy" Tear, the hatch is made from aluminum, with Filon covering. Unless the pic was not clear, it sure looked like it.
Aluminum frame interests me too, especially for a bike project, but even for a lightweight auto tear too.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes. -- Henry David Thoreau (1854)
wrangler tear
Teardrop Inspector

Postby JunkMan » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:17 am

wrangler tear wrote: I wonder how they attatch the Filon to aluminum framed motor homes?

I don't know about motor homes & filon, but when looking for aluminum for my TD at a truck repair shop, they told me that they use a special tape or glue made by 3M to attach the aluminum skin to the steel frames, no rivits!

I can stop back there and get the exact name if you want.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques