Fiberglass Question

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Fiberglass Question

Postby Ken » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:26 am

I have used the bendable plywood to cover top. The material is about 3/16, very soft and light, very easily punctured. The original plan was to cover the first soft layer with one or two layers of 1/8 birch. The profile is one of Andrew’s Designs and the front and rear curve back under the trailer, therefore in those areas I would be working overhead. I have no experience with epoxy but was planning to marry the top and sides with strip of epoxy and cloth. Question – If I just apply the epoxy without the fiberglass cloth to the entire soft bendable plywood would it add enough strength to withstand 70 mph rocks?

Hyperlink to profile
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/t1pt0n/album?.dir=1b5d&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/t1pt0n/my_photos%3furlhint=actn,del%253as,1%253af,0
Last edited by Ken on Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken
Keeper of the Green Key

Postby kirkman » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:37 am

NO....The only advice I can give you is from building fiberglass boats the glass cloth is what gives you the strength. The epoxy is only the glue that sticks the glass layers together, or the glass to the wood in your case. The epoxy will give you a nice finish but it will not ad any strength to speak of. It may make the surface appear a little harder but not impact resistant.

Hope this helps!
Jason
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Steve Frederick » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:07 pm

kirkman wrote:NO....The only advice I can give you is from building fiberglass boats the glass cloth is what gives you the strength. The epoxy is only the glue that sticks the glass layers together, or the glass to the wood in your case. The epoxy will give you a nice finish but it will not ad any strength to speak of. It may make the surface appear a little harder but not impact resistant.

Hope this helps!
Jason

As was said, The 'glass is where the strength is. Epoxy alone will harden the surface some, and add a waterproof barrier. If you're looking for strength, add the 'glass. :thumbsup: I use 'glass as a mechanical system to hold joints together. I use a strip of bias cut 'glass to do the wall/roof joints. It hugs the curves of the profile nicely!!
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Ken » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:39 pm

I appreciate your help and will do as you say. Thanks
Ken
Keeper of the Green Key

Postby doug hodder » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:31 pm

If you want puncture resistance, West Systems has kevlar cloth available. It is more expensive than the regular glass cloth. you are going to need something however. I don't know if you are looking for the clear type wood finish with the grain showing "bright" in wooden boat terminology. I don't know how the kevlar wets out and whether or not it is visible when completed. If you are going to paint it, it's no problem. glass cloth it, or use kevlar. but you gotta have something on top of that thickness. Just my opinion. doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby asianflava » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:48 am

If I remember correctly, Carbon Fiber was the hardest to wet out, I was told the Kevlar wets out like glass. We used a perpreg Kevlar for our class project, I'm just going by what I was told in school.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby rjhager » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:47 pm

doug hodder wrote: I don't know how the kevlar wets out and whether or not it is visible when completed. If you are going to paint it, it's no problem. glass cloth it, or use kevlar.

I've use a lot of kevlar building R/C planes and gliders. It is NOT transparent. I'll be plenty tough but it'll be yellow!
Working on a KuffelCreek Comet.
rjhager
Teardrop Builder

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques