want to buy a TD kit ( not plans) recommendations??

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

want to buy a TD kit ( not plans) recommendations??

Postby dbryan » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:13 pm

I am interested in purchasing a Teardrop kit. Probably 8'. I would like to put it together myself but I really am not confident enough to start it from scratch.

Does anyone know anything about the following company that makes kits?

http://www.teardropparts.com

I would like it to have a stereo, and ac for Summer trips and I am 6' tall so I am guessing the 8' length should be ok. I will be towing with a Subaru with 2000lb tow capacity and 227hp and not sure of the tongue weight. I think it should be OK because I have seen smaller less powerful cars towing these things.

Thanks for any help.
dbryan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Chip » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:07 pm

Dbryan,, welcome to tha board,, The company you referenced if a good and reptuable, how the kit works and what is included I do not know.

As far as building one yourself,, If ya can turn on a jig saw ya basically can build one from scratch,,also there is a wealth of information, help and advice on this web log to help ya over any rough spots,, there are a few basic guidlines such as axle placement that ya need to stay within but otherwise there are no real rules as to how you need or have to put one together,,

what area of SC are ya in by the way,, I am in the upstate and will gladley help in any way I can,,,,

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

thanks

Postby dbryan » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:15 pm

Thanks Chip,

From your response it looks like you are saying that they are good and reputable. Yes? I am in Bluffton, SC the town right before Hilton Head Island.

What kind of camper do you have? It sounds like you have some experience in these things.
dbryan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby JT » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:18 pm

dbryan:

I am considering the same kit from the same company. I too have heard nothing but favorable comments about the company.

I could probably build one from scratch myself but I'm going to be renting a garage to do this project so anything I can do to save time will be of great asset. Nice thing about teardropparts.com is that he can pre-fab the entire galley area prior to shipping for an added fee.

- JT
JT
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Steve Frederick » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:38 pm

If you look at the Lil'Diner as we started the build weekend, it was a "kit" sitting on Mike's frame. We (three of us) had it assembled, except for the roof, in a weekend. I've thought of offering a kit. Panelized construction, delivered on a frame, or for your frame..????Image
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

I would be insterested.

Postby dbryan » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:31 pm

have a ballpark figure on cost? What would be included?

Thanks everyone ( especially Chip) , I have received several responses and it makes a big difference when you are embarking on something new to have people that are willing to share info help.
dbryan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:23 pm

You just missed our gathering at Little Talbot SP. Could have gotten a lot of ideas and input. Are you looking at their complete kit or what ? What frame and finish ?
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Big Guy with a Little Guy » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:21 pm

dbryan:

Bluffton? I drove right through your town in February 04. I was in a rented blue Cavalier. Did you see me?

Jiminsav is in Savannah. You could PM him and get some contact information if you're inclined. He'd be glad to visit with you.
Big Guy with a Little Guy
Not So Tiny Travel Trailer Dude

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques