OSB for roof?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

OSB for roof?

Postby David Beckett » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:36 pm

Any opinions out there on 1/4" OSB for the roof? It's used in house construction, thicker, of course.
David Beckett
Teardrop Builder

Postby Big Guy with a Little Guy » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:28 pm

My lovely bride works at a lumber store, and I asked her the same question. I was mostly concerned about its acceptance of a finish like exterior paint. For its structure and strength, I would not hesitate to use it, but she said it does not paint well. Plus it has a rough looking finish. Now if you are covering it with something, that's a different story, but I don't know how well it glues up.

My wife's advice, however, was, "If you're going to build a trailer, we're going to use the right materials."
Big Guy with a Little Guy
Not So Tiny Travel Trailer Dude

OSB for roof?

Postby David Beckett » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:04 pm

Karl,

Tell you wife thanks for advice. The top layer will be aluminum so I'm thinking the OSB will be okay. My Lowes did not have BC 1/4" plywood. I'm not sure how the OSB will bend however. I'll likely have to make cut parallel grooves.
David Beckett
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:24 pm

The teardrop is the least expensive travel trailer you can build. In addition, you are going to put a whole lot more hours into it than materials. Why not build it right the first time...

OSB has no place in a teardrop. Structurally it's the weakest material choice you could make. I wouldn't do it.

For less weight, you could use luan. And luan is very affordable.

OSB is likely to disintegrate on you once you hit the road...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

OSB for roof?

Postby David Beckett » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:01 pm

Mike,

Strong feelings about OSB. I wasn't aware it was that inferior of a product. I'll have to look elsewhere for 1/4" plywood. But yeah, I want this camper to be quality, so thanks for the advice. :)
David Beckett
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:15 pm

Even in Alaska you should be able to get 1/4" plywood. Just turn it so that the grain runs perpendicular to the bend, and you shouldn't have any problem bending it.

Mike...

P.s. Yep strong feelings against OSB. I've played with it for my mockups. I wouldn't dare take it on the road. It will fall apart!
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby JunkMan » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:45 pm

I've used OSB for several things, but wouldn't think about using it in a TD. I don't think it would bend, and question it's strength also. It swells and comes apart if it gets wet for any length of time.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby len19070 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:37 pm

My Dad says of OSB that water, when it comes in contact with OSB is the missing ingredient for Oat Meal.

Happy Trails

Len
Last edited by len19070 on Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

osb on roof

Postby David Beckett » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:31 pm

I am convinced by you all that OSB is not the way to go. Thanks for the helpful advice. This forum certainly helps improve the quality of all these tears! ;)
David Beckett
Teardrop Builder

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques