Sealing the outer wood...?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Sealing the outer wood...?

Postby The R/C Man » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:18 am

Hey Everyone!

More questions... :D

I was wondering what people are doing to seal the outside from the elements. I have seen aluminum, fiberglass cloth/epoxy, and exterior house paints.

Has anyone used Armorpoxy? I was considering this as the paint of choice. Since it is epoxy based it should seal and strengthen the wood.

Any thoughts?
Greg

Over time science has shown that the simplest answers are usually the correct ones.......
The R/C Man
Teardrop Master

Postby IraRat » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:45 am

Hey, Greg. I'm new here too--just starting building.

Do you plan on just painting the plywood, without adding a skin of any kind?

This was my original plan, and I changed my mind real quickly. I've seen too many gorgeous teardrops to settle for just a painted look. However, if you still want to go this route, there's this industrial "paint" which has gotten rave reviews here. It's called Uniflex 255 (www.rotdoctor.com). It only comes in a few colors, but someone posted a link that show the great results.

If I can find the link, I'll post it here.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby mikeschn » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:28 am

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby IraRat » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:54 am

That's the site! Doctor Rot is real cool, too. I emailed to ask why the color availability was so limited, and he told me that those are the colors mostly used for industrial purposes.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby The R/C Man » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:46 pm

Hey Guys!

Thanks for the help....

So if I use 1/2" ply for the sides what is the recommended material for the top that will bend nicely? I saw one design that used 1/4" ply on the sides and 1/8" hardboard for the top. Of course the whole thing was ecapsilated with fiberglass/epoxy. Here is that site: http://www.stevewolverton.com/teardrop.html

I guess if it would be a better construction to use the fiberglass I will but I was trying to avoid it.

One more question from the new guy. :D I was planning to use a total of 1" insulation. 2 - 1/2" thick pieces stacked. Is that the norm?

Thanks Agian!
Greg

Over time science has shown that the simplest answers are usually the correct ones.......
The R/C Man
Teardrop Master

Postby IraRat » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:17 pm

Greg, you're getting into a lot of different areas here.

I've only been in the planning and building stages for like 3 weeks--and I've changed my mind a HUNDRED times regarding a HUNDRED different building aspects of this.
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby doug hodder » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:48 pm

For me....it's epoxy on top of mohogany. Auto clear coat on top of that. I'll be able to wax it up like a car when it's done, same as on my boats. If you want a really smooth finish when you're all done, you're going to need to seal off the wood prior to applying any paint. The smoothness of your finish is only as good as what you applied it too. So decide the look, not just the color of the finished tear and plan from there. Just my opinion. doug hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby emiller » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:09 pm

8) I just painted a few coats of killz and then a few coats of paint, works for me
emiller
Donating Member

Postby The R/C Man » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:45 pm

Maybe I will break down and put a layer of 4oz glass over it. It will add strength and make it water proof. I should also get a nice smooth finish that way.
Greg

The R/C Man
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:50 pm

R/C man..........you'll get a smooth finish, but you are going to have to build up the epoxy coat on top of the glass and sand down between layers, may take a couple of layers. Several if you are finishing up the wood "bright" not so many if you are going to paint it. It's not the cheapest method, but the results are spectacular.......... I haven't finished up the sides on my tear yet, it's a woody, check out my album, Doug Hodder :)
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby The R/C Man » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:12 pm

Looking good Doug! :thumbsup:

I will probably paint mine white using Armorpoxy.
Greg

The R/C Man
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:47 pm

I don't know anything about Armorpoxy, but keep us all informed. Great feedback for all the other builders. PS I was born in Spokane, Deconesse (sp?) hospital 1953 Doug Hodder 8)
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby The R/C Man » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:47 am

Well here is the link if you want to do some reading....
http://www.armorpoxy.com
I am planning to go get some woodand insulation this weekend and start the botton of the trailer... I just have to decide if I am going to go 5' wide or not. If I do I will just lift the floor to clear the tires..... :)
Greg

The R/C Man
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:03 am

Wow that stuff is expensive! I looked at the two part stuff, ArmorPoxyII which would be the equivalent to The Rot Doctor's Uniflex 255.

The ArmorPoxyII works out to $125 per gallon. Uniflex 255 is $87 a gallon.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby The R/C Man » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:30 am

Holy poo.... I was just going to use the no mix stuff. $58.50 per/gallon.
I figure with the whole trailer fiberglassed that should be plenty... What do you think?
Greg

The R/C Man
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques