Danger?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Danger?

Postby Zack » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:02 pm

How dangerous is it to build a trailer? What I mean is that is there a possibilty that shoddy workmanship might cause the trailer to come apart on the road and kill somebody??
Zack
Teardrop Builder

Postby Woody » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:09 pm

It would have to be pretty shoddy, It could happen, enough stuff has fallen off many types of vehicles littered the roadways as it is anyway
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Chris C » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:01 pm

Do you not have any building skills? I've seen some pretty sorry examples of craftsmanship which still produced solid trailers. I would imagine anyone with even a modicum of skills would be able to follow plans and build a tear. So I don't think you should be too worried about any "danger" in building one.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby madjack » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:25 am

...Zack there is danger in everything we do, some folks on this board have injured themselves building their tear for lack of knowledge of the tools they were using while others have taken a fall in the tub and cracked their heads, as I said there is danger in everything you do.
Having said that(and being lucky to make it past 30 much less past 50) if you have some skills and purchase a set of plans and follow them closely with advice and help from this board and others, you can build a tear to be proud of and earn yourself a sense of accomplishment that will last a lifetime
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Michael W » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:25 am

Power tools, by their nature, are dangerous. You only have to watch this forum to learn that lesson. That does not mean they can't be used safely, just respect them and use your common sense. Read the user manuals (this can be quite entertaining at times) and follow the instructions. More importantly, listen to that voice in your head, if something does not feel safe, it probably isn't.

If you are learning new skills while building your teardrop, I advise that with any new step, practice on scrap pieces. Build a prototype. This increases safety and the craftsmanship of your project. How you ask? By practicing first, you will not be as nervous when you cut into that expensive 4X10 sheet of plywood.

Tell me if I sound like I am preaching, but you asked. Always wear safety glasses when working in your shop and don't forget hearing protection when running power tools. While that table saw or belt sander may not sound too loud, hearing loss is cumulative.

Regarding the dangers of towing the trailer, make sure the coupler is fully seated and latched on the ball and use safety chains. Also, check your lights frequently. A periodic inspection of your frame is not a bad idea. If it is a bolt together style, check the torque on the nuts to assure none are getting loose. If it is welded together, check for cracks. Another item to be concerned about are the lug nuts. They can back off, especially on brand new trailers. Double check them after a few hundred miles. Finally, don't forget to grease those wheels bearings.
Last edited by Michael W on Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael W
Teardrop Master

Postby IraRat » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:29 am

Was this post designed especially for me or what?

Hey, Zack. Welcome.

There's a big difference between shoddy workmanship and average building skills. (Or below average.) I am amazed by the level of skills I see exhibited on this site--and I sure ain't a member of THAT club.

However, I AM using the same galvanized bolts as them, spacing them like THEY are, using the SAME lumber, moving my axle back like A LOT of them, and I'm following a set of plans which supposedly won't turn me into road kill.

In other words, just follow the basic building rules.

I'm not worried about my TD coming apart. I'm worried that my trim won't go on perfectly.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby JunkMan » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:06 am

In my opinion, the frame and axel would be the most important items. If you don't have the skills to build your own, then have someone that does have the skill build them for you.

If you don't have welding skills, there are several trailers built on bolted together frames, both kits (Harbor Freight, and other "red" trailers), and home made. They work fine. If you build a kit, follow the instructions, and make sure that all of your fasteners are tight. If you build your own, make sure that you use quality hardware and materials.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby madjack » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:33 am

Ira said
Was this post designed especially for me or what?

...Ira, anybody who uses a drill motor to clean their ears while enjoying a beer needs more help than can be provided here :lol: :lol: ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby s4son » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:06 am

One of my other "projects" is a home built airplane. It is fabric covered over an aluminum fuselage that is held together with gussets and pop-rivets. Talk about the potential for disaster. I know two pilots that have been flying the exact same airplane as mine since 1983. It is possible that anything built by anyone will fail. Homebuilt or factory built. You just have to be careful, read the plans, ask questions when you're not sure and error on the side of caution. Just my two cents worth.

Scott
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby IraRat » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:20 am

madjack wrote:

...Ira, anybody who uses a drill motor to clean their ears while enjoying a beer needs more help than can be provided here :lol: :lol: ;)
madjack 8)[/quote]

You're supposed to clean your ears?
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby TomS » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:02 pm

IMHO -- The guy who THINKS he knows it all who is the most dangerous. We've all run into these pompus asses at one time or another. They don't read plans or instuctions, or take good advice given by knowlegable people.

Remember the story that was posted here about the guy who bought an expensive boat and trailer? He had a 1 7/8 ball on his SUV and the coupler on his brand new trailer was 2". The dealer offered him a 2" ball for free and he refused it. The poster saw this idiot a few miles down the road with the front of his brand new trailer buried into the pavement. That's the type of person I'm talking about.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:21 pm

That's almost like a penny wise, pound foolish story, except it makes no sense since the guy was offered the 2" ball free.

We certainly don't want to promote cost over safety! You guys are doing a wonderful job keeping everyone in check!

Thanks,

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby San Diegan » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:05 pm

There are certainly more questionable avocations...

http://www.mcgirt.net/RC/VIDEOS/Giant_B52/

(You will need a high speed link for this to be bearable).

Tom
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:45 pm

That was undoubtedly the coolest replica of a BUFF I have ever seen. And it was even jet propelled! To bad they crashed it, that must have sucked!
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby San Diegan » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:58 pm

That B-52 was a fantastic model. Trouble is, it was as large as a small real scale aircraft and could have done some real damage or caused injury. Fortunately, it did not. (I will bet the builders were heartbroken, though).

A teardrop seems to be a mild venture after that. My approach has been to buy the first trailer to learn about it and build the next one. If that option were unavailable, I would purchase a well recommended set of plans, proceed deliberately with caution, and ask questions in here when problems arise.

Some of the discussions in here and shared knowledge have probably prevented injuries and averted a good deal of grief.

Tom

PS: asianflava, my understanding is that it employed eight Wren 12 lb thrust turbines. This thing is quite a legend. A goodle search on RC B52 Turbine yields some interesting hits. Apparently, the ownership was affiliated with the Bently Motor Car RC club and there was a serious investigation of the crash. That figures.
Last edited by San Diegan on Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques