Cubby Plans on Ebay

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Cubby Plans on Ebay

Postby nickster60 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:33 am

The is some selling his cubby plans on ebay. He says he is to sick to build it and is going to buy one that is done
nick
nickster60
Teardrop Inspector

Postby IraRat » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:37 am

If someone has the hard, bound copy, I think it's perfectly legal to do that.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby An Ol Timer » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:56 pm

In the past I have purchased plans that had the stipulation that one and only one project was to be constructed from them. They had a serial number on the plans that was supposed to be transferred to the project upon completion. Not having any legal knowledge what-so-ever I just did as they said.
An Ol Timer
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:10 pm

IraRat wrote:If someone has the hard, bound copy, I think it's perfectly legal to do that.

Since when is "LEGAL" have anything to do with EBAY??

I have the ringbound version of the Cubby plans and I did a quick look and could find nothing that would preclude me from selling them to someone else. However, I believe that if someone wants the plans, that they should buy them from Kevin. If the seller does not want the plans, he could get his money back from Kevin. He guarantees it!!

Just my opinion!

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby IraRat » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:27 pm

toypusher wrote:
IraRat wrote:If someone has the hard, bound copy, I think it's perfectly legal to do that.

Since when is "LEGAL" have anything to do with EBAY??

I have the ringbound version of the Cubby plans and I did a quick look and could find nothing that would preclude me from selling them to someone else. However, I believe that if someone wants the plans, that they should buy them from Kevin. If the seller does not want the plans, he could get his money back from Kevin. He guarantees it!!

Just my opinion!

Kerry

This isn't a moral issue--it's a copyright issue:

If you buy Time-Life's book/plans to build a deck, with 20 deck plans, you can indeed then resell that book, even if the plans are copyrighted. I don't think there's anything ethically wrong with doing this, and most people don't care anyway because "Time-Life has a lot of money."

Whether Kuffel does or not isn't the issue at all.

I own a book "How to Build A Dome Home" by Gene Hopper, that's been out of print for 30 years based, on Buckmeister Fuller's original modified geodesic dome home plan. Fuller is long dead, and Hopper is probably in a nursing home now.

So who cares if I use the plans? But legally, it's still the same thing.

Just because Kevin is still (thankfully) alive doesn't make the legal part of it any different.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby toypusher » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:36 pm

Ira,

I was not disagreeing with you at all, just giving my opinion.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby kelvin » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:07 pm

Im new here and am currently learning from this board so I may also build a cubby. I have opted for the cubby and found a hard copy of the plans for sale but have opted to support the person that has brought this idea to so many. I will order my plans and in turn have his support though my quest!
Kelvin
kelvin
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Cutterpup » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:16 pm

I'm a little confused by some of the comments on this thread. What is not legal or ethical about selling a used book? There are "Used Book Stores" all over the country. As I sit and type I can see the spine of one of my college texts that has a sticker on it that says "USED SAVES; Textbooks from your bookstore."
I do know that it's unlawful to copy software for resale and to copy books for resale, but there is no copyright infringment or stealing of intellectual material by reselling a book.
Judy
Cutterpup
Teardrop Master

Postby len19070 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:56 am

Weather its a Legal or Moral issue, I think your going to see this a lot more. There are a lot of Cubby plans out there and a lot of these people have completed there trailers. That leaves a lot of plans laying around doing nothing. One of the basic premises of selling something to someone for a fee is...its there's to do with as they please. A basic right of ownership. As long as somebody sells there original copy and does not Make Copies and sell them I don't think there's a legal issue.
As far as the copyright issue the plans originator can sue, but with an individual its like spending $20 to get $3.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby norm perkiss » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:50 am

I'll throw in my 2ยข.

I agree with Kelvin, I choose to support KuffelCreek and purchased from them. I also agree that selling the book or CD is perfectly acceptable. As mentioned above there are thousands of used book and CD retailers doing just that, reselling.

Virtually all of the information that KuffelCreek has compiled is now available on the Web and tons more. Take for instance this very site, a treasure trove of knowledge and experiences freely shared, thank you Mike. Kevin was a pioneer in sharing his obsession with the Teardrop. Thank you Kevin.

OK, I'll stop now...
Norm
norm perkiss
Gold Donating Member

Postby Geron » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:29 am

I downloaded my copy of Kuffel Creek from the web and printed it out. Therefore, I would feel somewhat uneasy even selling one copy. I believe I would be within the "law" to sell One and only One copy. I would nevertheless feel somewhat uneasy doing that.

JMTCW

Geron
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques