Ken-Skill Clone Clearance Light Suggestions

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Ken-Skill Clone Clearance Light Suggestions

Postby Grandadeo » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:28 pm

Although I haven't stuck the first two pieces together yet that will end up as my 5' wide Ken-Skill Clone, I have been collecting pieces parts as I find them. For the outside of the body I've picked up a pair of locking '32 - '34 Ford outside door handles. Rear hatch outside locking handle will probably come from LimeWorks, a Hot Rod company in SoCal, if it fits the conture of the hatch. I'm looking for suggestions for corner clearance lights. Want to keep them small and simple that would fit with the Ken-Skill look. I found these lights (the small ones on this web page)

http://www.awdirect.com/awdirect/catalo ... &linkid=96

I kinda like the looks of them but they may be a little to fancy/glitzy to look right on the Ken-Skill. What have Y'all used/seen that you think might be a good match? Thanks for any input.

Lee
Last edited by Grandadeo on Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Motoring!
Grandadeo
Teardrop Master

Postby Ken A Hood » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:37 pm

These are the one's I plan on using from Del City.

LINK
SPECS
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby doug hodder » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:38 pm

I used a similar LED from West Marine. I wanted the brightness of the LED but not out of control. I went with LEDs as I wanted to minimize anyone not seeing the rear end of my tear. Also, I used 40-54 GM tail lights, but backed them up with additional lights tucked under the rear end so I have 2 sets of brakes, running and turns. It appears that I only have the 1 set of lights, but from the rear there is an extra... I guess it's overkill, but about 2 weeks before Minden, I got rearended at a stoplight in my car and it made me think about it....Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Grandadeo » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:24 pm

Doug, I have to agree with you on the extra lights. Here are two pictures of a '32 at the LA Roadster show that was about 3 miles from the show when the Mullins luggage trailer he was towing was rearended. That drove the trailer hitch into the gas tank on the car (that's where Henry Ford mounted it) and resulted in him smacking the front on something, I'm not sure what. Drove all the way from Missouri to SoCal just to have this happen.

While I was out there we were towing my buddy's teardrop home from a show and got some nasty remakes from another driver for not using turn signals. He did use them but the '39 blue dots just don't show up well in the daytime. Sooo, doing it the way you did still looks clean but you have the extra safety.

Lee
Last edited by Grandadeo on Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Motoring!
Grandadeo
Teardrop Master

Postby Grandadeo » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:29 pm

Thanks Ken, those look more like what I've had in mind but hadn't found yet. Thanks again.

Lee
Happy Motoring!
Grandadeo
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:03 pm

that's another reason I run 2 sets of lights. For some reason I thought Blue dots would be cool, then had second thoughts. I ordered a set of original red and will install them, they didn't show up in time for the trip to Minden, so attached the extras...........Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Grandadeo » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:09 pm

I guess I'll always run blue dots cause they look so cool at night, but the extra lights underneath are a real smart addition. Lets see I've got an extra pair of '39 Chevy's that would fit underneath and oh yeah I got a pair of blue dots for them too.......

Lee
Happy Motoring!
Grandadeo
Teardrop Master

Postby Woody » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:12 pm

Okay I have got to ask, what is a Blue dot light? I never heard of them before
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:19 pm

...Woody, Woody, Woody, where have ya been...ya drill a hole in yer tailight lens and insert 'em
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Woody » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:23 pm

I think I have seen them before, they are not real big (size) either as I recall. Ihad not made the connection

Thanks Madjack for the picture
Woody
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Woody » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:24 pm

pretty slick, post the picture wait a few minutes then post the print part

Pretty slick
Woody
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:29 pm

...Woody I am so slick that the wind blows right past me and the rain just drips offa me :lol: :lol:
madjack 8)

p.s. they are only about 1/2"wide
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby doug hodder » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:30 pm

I have glass lenses for my tear with glass blue dots.....look really cool, most states however frown on them. I have a back up of reds that I will probably install as I can't imagine going through the brain damage of someone hitting the ass end of my tear and saying they couldn't see the lights...I found that the metal trim for the blue dot cuts a considerable portion of the light. but then I got some aftermarket lights and needed a lot of attention prior to running...either way, I'd still run some backups..............doug hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Grandadeo » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:47 pm

Blue dots have been a hot rodder add on since I guess the '40s. They don't look real impressive during the day but when positioned correctly directly in front of the brake light bulb they give off the coolest "Purple Glow" when you hit the brakes which is the way they were advertised. As far as they law, most of current officers are too young to remember that that was a legitimate excuse to hassle the speed crazed teenage hoodlums. Here's a '39 coupe with blue dots.

Lee
Happy Motoring!
Grandadeo
Teardrop Master

Re: Ken-Skill Clone Clearance Light Suggestions

Postby kurtibm » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:31 pm

Road Trip wrote:I kinda like the looks of them but they may be a little to fancy/glitzy to look right on the Ken-Skill. What have Y'all used/seen that you think might be a good match? Thanks for any input.
Lee

These Deco style lights are machined out of solid billet aluminum. They measure 5.75 inches wide, 3.50 inches high, with a 1.85 inch protrusion including amber or red lens.

Here to purchase > http://www.geocities.com/teardroptrailerlights/accessaries.html
It is not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years.
kurtibm
Donating Member

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques