galley progress

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

galley progress

Postby madjack » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:12 pm

...working on galley this week, checkout new pics
still need to make drawer front and do some trim/finish work also need to layout lower galley cabints...all comments and questions welcome
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby toypusher » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:15 pm

Great looking work! :thumbsup: :applause:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:23 pm

Hey Madjack, that's really looking great. Nice and tidy build there!
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby BobR » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:31 pm

Madjack

Outstanding workmanship...keep it up. Did you use a template and router to form the face frame?
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:35 pm

Hey Madjack,

I notice you have some space set aside in the center for your air conditioner. Do you have a way to get enough air in there?

In my Lil Diner, I can't get enough air in there, and the a/c glows red hot. I am going to have to put a vent door on the side so that it can breathe, ala Duffy's Cavern style!

I'd do some testing before you get too far along.

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby cguardsman » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:41 pm

nice work! :thumbsup:
Craig
cguardsman
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:56 pm

mikeschn wrote:Hey Madjack,

I notice you have some space set aside in the center for your air conditioner. Do you have a way to get enough air in there?

In my Lil Diner, I can't get enough air in there, and the a/c glows red hot. I am going to have to put a vent door on the side so that it can breathe.

I'd do some testing before you get too far along.

Mike...

...Mike, we are venting out the top ala Camp-Inn style vent hood and yes the AC fits tight up against the sides blocking the air intake...there is mondo room in rear for outflow. To alleviate the air flow problem we have modified the AC unit opening it up(on top) to allow air to flow in from the top, we will use a diffuser to seperate the outflow/inflow for the coils...if I think about it I will take a pic of modification next time we have AC out and post it
madjack 8)

p.s. Mike thanks for quickly taking care of a previous situation before it got out of hand...you run an excellent board here...lets keep it that way
Last edited by madjack on Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:03 pm

BobR wrote:Madjack

Outstanding workmanship...keep it up. Did you use a template and router to form the face frame?

...Bob, yes we did, we have made templates outta 1/2 MDF board for EVERYTHING we have done so as to be able to repeat as necessary
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:04 pm

A picture would be great. Maybe that is something I can do to my air conditioner.

I am trying to avoid cutting a big hole in the side of that beautiful birch and cherry...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:11 pm

mikeschn wrote:A picture would be great. Maybe that is something I can do to my air conditioner.

I am trying to avoid cutting a big hole in the side of that beautiful birch and cherry...

Mike...

...Mike, we cut out ALL of the top we could with a pair of air shears. leaving enough for structural integrity, we then put a piece of "u" channel weatherstripping around cut for protective purposes. Next time I go up to shop I will take a pic for ya
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby bledsoe3 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:32 pm

Jack, Very nice! This is the first time I noticed rounded corners cut out. Was there a reason for that? Looks like it might be easier than making a perfect square.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby madjack » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:41 pm

bledsoe3 wrote:Jack, Very nice! This is the first time I noticed rounded corners cut out. Was there a reason for that? Looks like it might be easier than making a perfect square.

...didn't want sharp pointy corners, also allows the use of insert "T" moulding in a continuous run without having to miter corners. The doors will be the cutout pieces from the face frame(so the grain matches). To make them that way you have to use a template with a plunge router with a center guide bearing
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby DestinDave » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:24 pm

Very nice work Jack! I like the idea of the door grain matching the frame. What size bit did you use? 1/8 or 3/16" Are the edges covered with veneer tape? Dave
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby madjack » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:56 pm

...DD, there is an insert "T" moulding around the doors and the jambs, this takes up 1/16 all around on each of them, there is 1/16 clearance all the around, so that adds up to 4/16...thus a 1/4 bit(protective tape on moulding is what you see in the pics)
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Larwyn » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:24 pm

Looks like a good job there MadJack. Looks like you planed ahead for that galley. I kind of planed everthing else and "let the galley area happen", not much room left for galley but then we are old tent campers and figured on using the same old pic-nic table kitcen.... :)
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques