Measure twice cut once. just make sure the measurement is OK

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Measure twice cut once. just make sure the measurement is OK

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:25 am

Well last weekend I decided to add an electrical outlet to my galley (camp inn style) so I get an outlet box and some wire and make my marks and start cutting. I made a real nice cut, and the box fit perfectly flush in the hole. Yesterday I go to buy a cover plate for the plug (which ended up being brass not stainless like the package said :x ) that is when I realized my mistake. I cut the hole the size of the box not the plug. the cover plate is about the same size as the box. Good thing I had some 1/4" birch so I just re-skined that section, re-cut the door and outlet holes and will reinstall my hardware as soon as it is varnished again. doh :?
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:32 am

...you know I measured and cut that board 3 times and it is still too short :lol: :lol: ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Woody » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:56 am

Madjack.
Now where have I heard thar before, Hmmm, I wonder
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Chris C » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:53 pm

Madjack, as I've mentioned before, I make my living cutting wood. And believe me, I've done exactly what you described. Man, is it ever frustrating. Just wish that one time every single piece going into a piece of furniture came out exactly as required. Just doesn't happen.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Marck » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:35 pm

I had a similiar problem when I was doing the drop floor in the SixPack.
I had one tape measure in the tear and one at the table saw, I measured in the tear, then went to the saw, and did the cut, got in the tear with it and found it was almost 1/4" short. I was not happy.... later I compared the 2 tapes, measuring the same board with both, yep, about 1/4" off, seems the tab on the end of the one tape was not on right or something making that difference...I now use the same one for all cuts, & measurements.
You want to build WHAT?????

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

Postby Chris C » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:46 pm

Marck,

You just learned a lesson all woodworkers learn sooner or later. Never use more than one measuring device on a project.............unless you verifry they measure the same. Sorry you had to learn it the hard way, but don't we all? :lol:

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Chris C

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:38 pm

I try not to use the tabbed end of a tape measure. I prefer to shift everything by one inch. I've been bit by inaccuracies before...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:41 pm

...yep, been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, bought the book, saw the movie...yep :lol: :lol: :lol:
madjack 8) 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:01 pm

Not me! I've NEVER done anything like that! :roll: :no: :whistle:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Chris C » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:07 pm

Yes, Mike, burning an inch is a good practice...............if you can remember when you do it! :? But, surprisingly, not all measuring tools measure the same. Try this...............gather every measuring tape, etc., you have and measure out 5 foot and see if they all measure the same. Bet they don't! It's surprising how different manufacturers come up with such discrepancies......but they do. That's why I never use more than one tape when I'm making furniture. I will, though, use my dial calipers more than any other measuring device when measuring 6" or less.

Chris C

Postby angib » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:52 pm

Chris C wrote:I will, though, use my dial calipers more than any other measuring device when measuring 6" or less.

Yup, they're one of the best workshop treats to buy yourself, even if you think you don't need them.

My tip is that I've been using the same plastic (well, glass-filled nylon, I think) ones for many years. I'd laughed at the idea of plastic until I used them at work and now I'm a convert.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby An Ol Timer » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:53 pm

Thank GOD for my good old fashioned folding stick ruler. Worked before tapes and still does.
An Ol Timer
Teardrop Master

Postby Chris C » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:17 pm

A lot of really fine pieces of furniture has been built using a good folding rule...................just don't use two different ones from different makers. Same problem.

Chris C

Postby DestinDave » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:29 pm

I too like a folding rule but whenever possible I use the same old trusty 4-foot aluminum "yardstick"...
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby An Ol Timer » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:13 pm

I too, have and use, a "4-foot aluminum "yardstick"..." given out 45 years ago as a gift for joining my Credit Union. No guts, No Glory! I was afraid to post it, as I thought that maybe it would give the Striped paint and left handed monkey wrench gang a field day!!!!!
An Ol Timer
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques