anodized annealing

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

anodized annealing

Postby madjack » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:33 pm

...I have annealed mill finish aluminum trim with great success but I was wondering if anodized aluminum will anneal the same or...

I've looked up previous posts and haven't found anything to answer my question about anodized trim, so any comments/hints/suggestions oyt there
thanks
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:48 pm

Jack,

Don't know if it's an issue with your parts, but in the past when I have heated some colored anodized RC helicopter parts, the color has faded.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Steve Frederick » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:00 pm

My buddy, an anodizing plant mgr, says that anodized aluminum will crack, microscopically, when bent.(craising) The anodizing process imparts a layer of material into the outer layer of the metal treated. This layer will break when bent. The material is in the aluminum surface. The cracks will allow some exposure to the elements, of un treated metal. Better to anodize after bending. I'm getting Rick to anodize a curved section of diamond-plate as a stone guard for the 'Diner
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby madjack » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:28 am

...I have some anodized aluminum angle that I want to use on my door jamb...it is aluminum in color so the fading wont be a problem...I just didn't want it to crack in two after annealing and bending
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques