Door seal question!

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Door seal question!

Postby nicoleandkyle » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:57 am

Hi everyone,

I've ordered the T moulding for our custom doors, and I'm wondering about which seal to buy. They have one that is made to fit in the T, but every video I've watched people use the rounded seal. The round seal makes logical sense to me, and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how the T seal will compress. I've attached a picture of these 2 seals for reference.

Thanks,
NicoleImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Door seal question!

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:13 am

I'm curious as to how the T-seal is attached.

I chose to put an interior doorstop in with a bulb seal. Here's the mock-up:

The real-deal is looking better with the stop and seal on the wall.

:thinking: 'Nuff said. Just following your thread.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby nicoleandkyle » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:03 am

This is how I planned on it:

https://morethanthursdays.com/homebuilt ... struction/

I attached the 2 pictures on there which show how I was thinking I would do it.ImageImage

nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Aguyfromohio » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:59 pm

tony.latham wrote:I'm curious as to how the T-seal is attached.

I chose to put an interior doorstop in with a bulb seal. Here's the mock-up:

The real-deal is looking better with the stop and seal on the wall.

:thinking: 'Nuff said. Just following your thread.

Tony

We did a similar thing. Instead of adding the inside stop later, we cut the step profile it into the door frame, embedded in the wall panel.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby working on it » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:09 pm

Aguyfromohio wrote:
tony.latham wrote:...I chose to put an interior doorstop in with a bulb seal....Tony

We did a similar thing. Instead of adding the inside stop later, we cut the step profile it into the door frame, embedded in the wall panel.

* I used compression-type automotive doorseals, that I had leftover from restoring my old '69 Chevy C-10 pickup (I wish I still had it) in the late '90's. The seals are mounted on the 1/4" inner doorjambs of the oak bracing surrounding the solid 3/4" plywood doors (totally sealed with "the mix", and multiple coats of poly and paint), and the bottomside has an exterior doorsweep hanging down as a drip-edge, protecting the aluminum threshold there (no rubber seal there, just a wood/aluminum interface).
doorseals and water protection.jpg
door seal is purely by compression, with no seal on the bottom; friction-fit between door & aluminum threshold, plus rain/wind-deflecting door sweep make it water-tight
doorseals and water protection.jpg (91.79 KiB) Viewed 5410 times

* Another thing about using those leftover seals from my truck restoration: they were really too thick to let the doors compress them and still remain flush with the sides, so I used scissors and cut about 1/4" width strips from the bulbs, nearest to the inner doorjamb, so they would still have plenty of rubber there, and fully compress. I nearly bought different ones, but the molded corners of the "factory-style" '67-72 Chevy C-10 door seals fit so nicely into the corners, that a little work on them was worth the effort.
door seal, tight corner for exact fit.jpg
comparison photo showing the tighter fit using the (top) seals (shown on a C-!0 pickup (not mine)
door seal, tight corner for exact fit.jpg (151.76 KiB) Viewed 5410 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:13 am

I built my doors similar to how you propose to build yours. Initially, per the sketch below, I was planning on using an outer seal on the t-molding and an inner seal on the door jamb.

However, the seal on the t-molding worked so well that I never got around to installing the inner seal (or the rain gutter above the door.)

The seal I used on the t-molding was a "D" type seal. As the previous posters stated, you need to leave room for the seal. Generally, the seal should only compress about 1/3 of the seal height. To allow for the seal thickness, I used 1/8" thick nylon spacers to offset the plane of the door from the plane of the sidewall. This 1/8" "gap" allowed for the D seal to compress appropriately.

Lastly, if you plan to use t-molding on the hinge side of the door, you need to make sure that the pivot point of your hinge is outside or beyond the outer edge of the t-molding. Otherwise, the t-molding will bind on the door when you try to open it.

Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby nicoleandkyle » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:37 am

aggie79 wrote:I built my doors similar to how you propose to build yours. Initially, per the sketch below, I was planning on using an outer seal on the t-molding and an inner seal on the door jamb.

However, the seal on the t-molding worked so well that I never got around to installing the inner seal (or the rain gutter above the door.)

The seal I used on the t-molding was a "D" type seal. As the previous posters stated, you need to leave room for the seal. Generally, the seal should only compress about 1/3 of the seal height. To allow for the seal thickness, I used 1/8" thick nylon spacers to offset the plane of the door from the plane of the sidewall. This 1/8" "gap" allowed for the D seal to compress appropriately.

Lastly, if you plan to use t-molding on the hinge side of the door, you need to make sure that the pivot point of your hinge is outside or beyond the outer edge of the t-molding. Otherwise, the t-molding will bind on the door when you try to open it.

This is EXACTLY how I want to do it!!! Can you please tell me what kind of hinges you used here? I ordered the T molding and the seal and the rest of the trim for the doors yesterday. All I need is the hinges now and a prayer that I figure out how to put it all together lol.

nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:36 am

I bought my hinges at McMaster Carr - https://www.mcmaster.com/strap-hinges.

The particular hinge I used is their part number 1264A12. It is a stainless steel freezer door strap hinge. Now, they are about $40 each. At the time - 10-11 years ago - they were about $15 each.

I used three hinges per door because I thought that three looked better than two. Two hinges per door, however, is all you need for a door.

You may want to look around for the same type of hinge, but in chrome-plated zinc. I believe I've seen them in the $10-$15 price range.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby nicoleandkyle » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:33 am

aggie79 wrote:I bought my hinges at McMaster Carr - https://www.mcmaster.com/strap-hinges.

The particular hinge I used is their part number 1264A12. It is a stainless steel freezer door strap hinge. Now, they are about $40 each. At the time - 10-11 years ago - they were about $15 each.

I used three hinges per door because I thought that three looked better than two. Two hinges per door, however, is all you need for a door.

You may want to look around for the same type of hinge, but in chrome-plated zinc. I believe I've seen them in the $10-$15 price range.
Thank you very much for the information!!! I really appreciate it!!

nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Aguyfromohio » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:17 am

We used very similar hinges, often called refrigerator hinges.
We got our at etrailer, $20 each

https://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Trail ... 104SS.html

Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:53 am

aggie79 wrote:Lastly, if you plan to use t-molding on the hinge side of the door, you need to make sure that the pivot point of your hinge is outside or beyond the outer edge of the t-molding. Otherwise, the t-molding will bind on the door when you try to open it.

Guess I missed this little detail before drilling holes :frightened:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby nicoleandkyle » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:04 am

Aguyfromohio wrote:We used very similar hinges, often called refrigerator hinges.

Oh those look great and a price point I can get behind! Thanks so much for sharing. Did you use 2 or 3 per door? Also I didn't see any information about weight. I haven't weighed our doors yet but they are relatively heavy I think.

Thank you!
Nicole

nicoleandkyle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:33 pm

Well since nobody really answered the question about how the corner seal works, I'll give it a shot. (Disclaimer: I've never used this specific type of seal in real life, but have years of experience with mechanical things and design.)

The premise of a lip seal like this is that spring tension holds the leading edge of the seal in a check valve like situation. In other words, instead of just crushing the seal down in compression and risking over crushing with reduced lifespan and effectiveness, you bend the seal over, and the point pressure at the tip is higher (w/o crushing). Any build up of internal pressure (such as from temperature rise) can "burp" out w/o compromising the seal, while reductions in internal pressure improve seal effectiveness. That assumes that the sealing geometry is proper around corners and such (a good argument for radiused door corners instead of mitered. My 2 cts.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby timhill28 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:29 pm

Aguyfromohio wrote:We used very similar hinges, often called refrigerator hinges.

Those hinges look very solid. We'll do the door soon after we finished installing the brake kit, wheels and tires on the truck this week.
timhill28
Teardrop Builder

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques