Seeking window latch that pulls tight

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Seeking window latch that pulls tight

Postby DoctahDeane » Sat May 09, 2020 7:37 am

The guy who built my trailer created porthole windows on the sides, with screens and they look nice from the outside. He never got around to finishing off the work. On the inside (see photo) there's a little handle that can be used to push the window out for ventilation or to pull it closed but that is the problem: it does not seal/latch (at all). I need some mechanism that will pull the window tight against the weatherstripping and then snap shut somehow to keep rain out - especially while driving. Any recommendations? I can picture what the latch looks like just don't know what it is called or where to find a couple.

I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Re: Seeking window latch that pulls tight

Postby Ottsville » Sat May 09, 2020 8:08 am

Your picture looks like a wooden rod that pushes the window out through a hole in the screen frame, is that right? How about drilling a hole in that rod and just using a pin through it? Or if that rod is hinged, just a way to hold that rod tight against the screen frame like the arm on an RV emergency exit window?
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby DoctahDeane » Sat May 09, 2020 8:16 am

Ottsville wrote:Your picture looks like a wooden rod that pushes the window out through a hole in the screen frame, is that right? How about drilling a hole in that rod and just using a pin through it? Or if that rod is hinged, just a way to hold that rod tight against the screen frame like the arm on an RV emergency exit window?

That's a good idea, thank you. I think though that the handle is a little too thin for that but I could adapt it I guess. Thanks for the idea, I'll play around with that a bit. I'd prefer something a bit more industrial that snaps shut - just peace of mind, really - but I appreciate the suggestion and I'll take a look and give this a try.
I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat May 09, 2020 10:14 am

Try a toggle clamp, they come in all kinds of sizes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/POWERTEC-20317 ... Sw-XVdLFpv
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Sat May 09, 2020 10:43 am

Woodbutcher wrote:Try a toggle clamp, they come in all kinds of sizes.

Oh YEAH! That's exactly the kind of thing that I was trying to describe. Thank you very much. So much of this stuff - or electrical - is a matter of getting the terminology right. Anyway, thanks again, I'll give these a shot. I like the price :D
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat May 09, 2020 11:48 am

DoctahDeane wrote:

Oh YEAH! That's exactly the kind of thing that I was trying to describe. Thank you very much. So much of this stuff - or electrical - is a matter of getting the terminology right. Anyway, thanks again, I'll give these a shot. I like the price :D

Just cruse the Ads on Ebay for the right size. They make some small ones.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Sat May 09, 2020 12:00 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:
DoctahDeane wrote:

Just cruse the Ads on Ebay for the right size. They make some small ones.

I ordered a couple from Amazon - it'll be interesting to see, there's a solution here but might require some monkeying around. The window is on the outside of the frame and that little handle comes through the frame, so grabbing onto the window is not possible but I'll figure out something once I have the clamps in hand.
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat May 09, 2020 4:49 pm

Do a search for RV offset thumb latches you might find something suitable for your situation.
I use them for tightening up the upper and lower part of my doors to keep freeway driven rain from compromising my door seals. They look like a cabinet drawer lock but no key hole but a thumb latch.

: D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby DoctahDeane » Sun May 10, 2020 9:10 am

halfdome, Danny wrote:Do a search for RV offset thumb latches you might find something suitable for your situation.
I use them for tightening up the upper and lower part of my doors to keep freeway driven rain from compromising my door seals. They look like a cabinet drawer lock but no key hole but a thumb latch.

Thank a lot. I ordered a couple to try out. I appreciate the pointer.
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby Tomterrific » Sun May 10, 2020 2:20 pm

Could you take some pictures of the window inside the camper?
Where is the window hinged? And how is it hinged? I have some simple ideas but I not sure how the window is constructed.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby DoctahDeane » Sun May 10, 2020 4:10 pm

Tomterrific wrote:Could you take some pictures of the window inside the camper?
Where is the window hinged? And how is it hinged? I have some simple ideas but I not sure how the window is constructed.

Tt

Thanks, Tom - yes, here is one from the inside and one from the outside. I hope they make sense. Basically, there's a little push stick to force the plexiglass window out and to pull it back in. It gives the window a nice design look driving down the road but is not that useful. First, I cannot presently pull it tight and seal the plexiglass again the window seal so that rain does not get in while driving. It just sort of flaps. I could jury rig something on the inside of the door to hold that stick in place but it would not create a tight seal. The screen is attached to the inside of the door, cut to the shape of the window and stapled in place, basically. When you pull the stick in, at a certain point, it can pivot 90 degrees either way and will lay flat (but as I said not tight) agains the inside wall of the door (or not he other side the inside wall of the trailer. Of course, it would be nice to still be able to push the window out for ventilation while sleeping but for now, I'd be happier with a dry inside. Finally, though "cute" in it's approach, I don't think this stick will hold up for the long haul. Thanks for taking a look and if you have any suggestions, I would welcome them. The guy who built this had an architect for a brother in law, so yes, there's some cool looking features but not all of them are really functional, or useful. The suggestions above were inexpensive so maybe one off those latches will work but I'll have to get them in hand to see how they operate.

Dr. D

DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby noseoil » Mon May 11, 2020 7:07 am

Not sure the design is going to seal tightly. The window needs to be strong enough to be pulled tightly against a gasket material or weather-strip. You may need to go to a thicker plexiglass & then have some decent weatherstrip applied to the opening. Next would be a "camming" latch mechanism, which will pull the window into place & lock past center, while pushing the window out to provide fresh air as it locks in the open position. You will need to fasten the latch pivot onto the window with small screws & nuts to hold it in place. Sounds like an interesting project to occupy your mind for a while. Geometry, graph paper, compass & ruler will do it, then a bit of fab time in the shop for the mock-up, perhaps a milling machine or drill press will do the job. Fun stuff to me, but off-the-shelf is easier during the design & planning stage!
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Aguyfromohio » Mon May 11, 2020 7:42 am

halfdome, Danny wrote:Do a search for RV offset thumb latches you might find something suitable for your situation.

Thanks Danny. I've been searching for that exact part for a couple weeks now for my galley cabinet doors.
"Thumb latch cam" are the secret words that revealed everything.
All I was finding were locked cam latches. I don't want to fool with another set of keys just for a cabinet door.

It's amazing how hard it is to find components if you don't know the name they are called by the manufacturers and dealers.
As a young design engineer I once spent weeks looking for a sturdy locking pivot until I learned the word "trunion".
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Mon May 11, 2020 8:08 am

Aguyfromohio wrote:

Thanks Danny. I've been searching for that exact part for a couple weeks now for my galley cabinet doors.
"Thumb latch cam" are the secret words that revealed everything.
All I was finding were locked cam latches. I don't want to fool with another set of keys just for a cabinet door.

It's amazing how hard it is to find components if you don't know the name they are called by the manufacturers and dealers.
As a young design engineer I once spent weeks looking for a sturdy locking pivot until I learned the word "trunion".

Boy, is this ever true!
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby Tomterrific » Mon May 11, 2020 11:01 am

D.D.
I think I understand now. The window is in a door frame? The window is almost the entire round frame?
Interesting that I had the same idea for a homemade awning window. Hinge at the top with a 'stick' to open and close. In my design the stick would be metal so much studier. I figured the hanging weight of the stick would hold the window closed. Also, the stick and its hinge at the window would be adjusted in length to hold the window closed tightly. A steel rod for a stick and a neodymium magnet to hold the stick should work.

So without completely reengineering the window holdout perhaps just a rebuild with steel parts will do it.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques