Framing for trailer with rooftop tent

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Framing for trailer with rooftop tent

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:14 am

Unless you are on shore power coffee makers suck big power. I use a Stanley French press and a thermos keeps it hot. For a while I had a single serving kuerig my got on sale.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby ptulli » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:08 pm

Socal Tom wrote:Unless you are on shore power coffee makers suck big power. I use a Stanley French press and a thermos keeps it hot. For a while I had a single serving kuerig my got on sale.

Yes I was reading about that the other day actually. Needs a big converter too, lol.
Tow Rig: 2016 Wrangler 2d, planning overlanding/off-road camper (squaredrop/squareback)
ptulli
Teardrop Builder

Postby ptulli » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:53 pm

Here are some new ones from today.

This is the trailer frame basic design.

Floor plan

Galley redone as I measured it wrong. Each square is an inch and I was off a bit on my last drawing.

Here is a shot looking from front of cabin towards your feet and the storage above it.

Thoughts?
Tow Rig: 2016 Wrangler 2d, planning overlanding/off-road camper (squaredrop/squareback)
ptulli
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:42 pm

Thoughts?

Have you done a side profile showing how the interior stuff fits? I think it's an important planning point.

I also think the "innards" should be designed first, and then a pleasing profile around it.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby ptulli » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:11 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Thoughts?

Have you done a side profile showing how the interior stuff fits? I think it's an important planning point.
I also think the "innards" should be designed first, and then a pleasing profile around it.
Tony

I did one but I have to re-do it, I will work on that and get that set for you guys to check. I apricate all the help!
ptulli
Teardrop Builder

Postby ptulli » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:50 pm

Here is the redo. I don't have a placement for the tire yet, so that's a work in progress. But this is what I got so far.
ptulli
Teardrop Builder

Postby twisted lines » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:07 pm

If you havent seen the shape of a hiker trailer take a look its simmular,
if it's going to live outside may be a very good Idea not to be flat :shock:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:38 pm

Here is the redo.

Looking good.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby ptulli » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:51 pm

twisted lines wrote:If you havent seen the shape of a hiker trailer take a look its simmular,
if it's going to live outside may be a very good Idea not to be flat :shock:

I have seen the Hiker, but it was the Valiant that I first saw and liked the idea. As for the roof being flat, have you ever noticed there are a lot of buildings that are flat roofed? I have grown up around boats as I was EXTREMLEY blessed to grow up on a lake. With that in mind, to keep them dry all you do is raise the nose of the trailer when being stored so when not in sure that is what will be done. That part I got covered, it's the rest I'm stumped on.

Axel placement, and how think to make the rear hatch and exactly how big, lol. Those are my next issues to work on.
ptulli
Teardrop Builder

Postby ptulli » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:44 pm

Here is the start of my galley hatch. Do I need to go this rugged? I have 1x2 on the flat. It's not to scale yet as I have to figure out what I need for room on all 4 sides. Remember this is a squareback so the back is gonna be flat. I am not sure how much room I need for the hinge on the top and a slim 3rd brake light up there as well. The sides and bottom I'm not sure on either. I will put the brake lights and turn signals in the hatch as well. Trying to keep things out of harms way for off-roading. Any suggestions? Thanks guys!

ptulli
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:07 pm

Do I need to go this rugged?

The heavier it is, the more stress you'll put on the rest of the cabin. You don't need all of that framing and blocking.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby ptulli » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:10 pm

Would making it like a "#" idea be enough for the cross blocking/framing then?
ptulli
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:06 am

ptulli wrote:Would making it like a "#" idea be enough for the cross blocking/framing then?

I'm not sure what you mean.

There's no reason to put blocking between hatch spars since the sheathing acts as a gusset. If that is what you are asking.

I've never built a flat-backed camper. The problem that I would anticipate is keeping the hatch from twisting.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:37 am

I Should be painting the flat roof on mine this week, I already know it's going to puddle :cry:
When I glued the roof on and put a few hudddous on top when it qured, there is a low.
For 20 years I had a Office with a skylight / Flat roof; & factory cargo trailer's can crush like the storage sheds around here :thumbdown:
I built boat's that lifted boats from the bottom & I got paid to work the lake life, 9 boat's then mine for the 3.5 day weekends :thumbsup:

"sheathing acts as a gusset" :thumbsup:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:57 am

twisted lines wrote:I Should be painting the flat roof on mine this week, I already know it's going to puddle :cry:
When I glued the roof on and put a few hudddous on top when it qured, there is a low....

We have the same problem with our teardrop. Luckily, I have GERD, so we'll be cranking the front up a few inches, so most of the rain should run off onto the galley hinge, and then down one side or the other.

We hope! :worship:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques