Door supplier

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Door supplier

Postby Uncivileng » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:14 pm

Hi everybody,
Looking for some options on door suppliers for my build. I want to purchase doors instead of making them but am having some difficulty in finding a supplier at a decent price. I'm located in south western Ontario and the only supply I can seem to find is out of the US. Looking for 30x36 doors.

My first choice was Challenger Door, but I can hardly get an email out of the Canadian sales person, and then get sent the wrong order form with no replies for over a week. Their lead time is 12 weeks, which may be too late for me. I've basically written them off at this point unless someone has a good contact that they can share.

My other option is Vintage Technologies, but they aren't cheap. Ordering the doors and my hurricane hinge could cost me $1600 loonies after conversion, import taxes, and fees. But they are available, and I'm willing to pay it if I have to.

I've reached out to a teardrop builder in the area and have no response.
Seems I'm going to lose an arm or leg to get doors in a reasonable time frame.

Any other suppliers out there that I'm overlooking?
Uncivileng
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Door supplier

Postby western traveler » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:07 pm

After a few calls over a 1 1/2 to two week period I was finally able to order my doors from Challenger. It was through e-mail and I got asked the same questions included in my e-mail more than once. Order date was March 17, shipping date was April 15 and I received the doors last week. I ordered driver side and passenger side doors 26X36 and paid $310 US each plus shipping. Total was $675. We don’t have sales tax here. I received more than one email saying they were experiencing delays in manufacturing.
They look like nice doors, we will see when I get to the point of installing them.
Their sales people are regional so I don’t know if this will help at all but I will DM you her contact information.
Good luck
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby Uncivileng » Tue May 04, 2021 11:23 am

I ended up pulling the trigger on the Vintage Technologies doors. Expensive, but could mean I get another 2 months of use out of the trailer this year if I can keep my progress going.
If you want to use Challenger I suggest getting in contact at least 4 months before you want your doors. One month of sporadic emails and getting sent incorrect info, and 3 months to build and ship is what they are quoting now.
Uncivileng
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PCO6 » Tue May 04, 2021 1:19 pm

Steve at "The Teardrop Trailer" used to sell doors but I don't think he does any more. I think his supplier is in Canada and he might be able to give you a contact. He's in Cedar Valley which is just east of Newmarket.

https://www.theteardroptrailer.com/
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby Uncivileng » Tue May 04, 2021 1:27 pm

PCO6 wrote:Steve at "The Teardrop Trailer" used to sell doors but I don't think he does any more. I think his supplier is in Canada and he might be able to give you a contact. He's in Cedar Valley which is just east of Newmarket.

https://www.theteardroptrailer.com/

Yeah, I sent an email a few weeks ago and never got a response. Sounds like they are busy working on their own trailers, so can't blame them for just focussing on that.
From his previous posts it seemed like he was importing the Challenger doors but I'm not certain.

Seeing one of his trailers last year while we were camping was a big inspiration to build ours.
Uncivileng
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue May 04, 2021 3:44 pm

Uncivileng wrote:I ended up pulling the trigger on the Vintage Technologies doors. Expensive, but could mean I get another 2 months of use out of the trailer this year if I can keep my progress going.
If you want to use Challenger I suggest getting in contact at least 4 months before you want your doors. One month of sporadic emails and getting sent incorrect info, and 3 months to build and ship is what they are quoting now.

FWIW, after one trip, our Challenger Doors don't seem to be latching correctly. I'll need to investigate further to see what's wrong and what the fix action may be. Think I remember others mentioning similar problems as well.

So the extra cost of Vintage Technologies doors may be worth it.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby campygirl » Sun May 09, 2021 2:39 pm

We found pretty great doors from Tern Overland. They can stay open at night for ventilation and are bear-proof (and the insect screen is dog-proofed as well). We haven't installed them yet, but we were pretty happy with them. They also sell awning style windows which were really hard to find.

https://www.ternoverland.com/wildlands-security-door
campygirl
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jlw » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:21 pm

campygirl wrote:We found pretty great doors from Tern Overland. They can stay open at night for ventilation and are bear-proof (and the insect screen is dog-proofed as well). We haven't installed them yet, but we were pretty happy with them. They also sell awning style windows which were really hard to find.

https://www.ternoverland.com/wildlands-security-door

Very nice doors. Very dear $$$ over $1000 USD
jlw
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:19 pm

Our doors and galley hatch are Challenger. We had a problem with the galley seal which they fixed 14 years ago. It is was an interesting symbiosis of Amish and Mennonite, they started work at 5AM then. They have been bought by Lippert I would contact them directly
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby TimC » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:57 pm

I've contacted Challenger via email to get a quote on custom doors to replace my homebuilt ones. I have never gotten a response.

My son bought doors from Vintage Tech for his foamie. They are pricey but very well made. They also answered his questions about installation quickly over the phone. My next teardrop build will be commercially made from V Tech. I'll be stopping in their place in Sept to see if they offer a local pickup price. I imagine shipping those add quite a bit to the price.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Godeh » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:32 am

So, where did you get the door? That's strange you couldn't find a supplier who will deliver on time.
Here is the list of suppliers I contacted and replied to me in 24 hours:
1. John Page Trailer
2. Debut Doors
3. Hartford Commercial
4. SDC Trailers
5. Legras Trailers
All of them have official websites, professional customer support, and delivery options and payments. My choice fell upon John Page supplier because he was providing the lowest prices. The door itself was installed by emergency locksmith grays inn the same day it was delivered.
I hope I gave you a hand with this problem.
Godeh
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques