Drawer Slide Question

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Drawer Slide Question

Postby Capebuild » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:10 am

The fridge I'm using is about 27 inches long and the way I have it planned I'll need for it to be able to be pulled out it's entire length (due to where the hinge is on the fridge lid).
I've attached a section view of the layout.
I'm asking if anyone has any suggestions on what kind of drawer slides to consider. I "think" I've seen slides that come in 3 sections to handle long pulls, but not sure that is what's needed.
Any suggestions what is needed and where to look?

thanks

John
Attachments
drawer slide.jpg
drawer slide.jpg (144.26 KiB) Viewed 501 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Drawer Slide Question

Postby western traveler » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:19 am

John,
You might start here. BTW, they have a few other things you may want for your build.

https://www.mcmaster.com/drawer-slides/
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:04 am

Thanks. You know I've used Mcmaster through the years... but for this project, I always seem to forget checking their site. .... so thanks for the reminder.
After a bit more research I think I do need a 3 section slide for such a long pull.

Thanks again.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:23 am

Check your design for a decision on the bottom-mount vs. side mount guides. You will need to attach to the fridge, but will it be a box or platform type of system. A 30" full-extension slide will typically give you 31" of travel. Here's a side-mount guide that would work well enough.

https://www.cabinetparts.com/p/knape-an ... non-brands)&utm_term=4585100930997398&utm_content=All%20Products

For our stove, I added 2 aluminum angles to the bottom/sides of the stove, then attached the guides to the side flange of the angle. Works OK for the stove. Your fridge should be a similar type of mount, depending on the design you come up with for having the fridge sit in the opening. Here's a detail shot of the angle, guide & latch to lock things in place on the road.

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Capebuild » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:24 am

noseoil wrote:Check your design for a decision on the bottom-mount vs. side mount guides. You will need to attach to the fridge, but will it be a box or platform type of system. A 30" full-extension slide will typically give you 31" of travel. Here's a side-mount guide that would work well enough.

https://www.cabinetparts.com/p/knape-an ... non-brands)&utm_term=4585100930997398&utm_content=All%20Products

For our stove, I added 2 aluminum angles to the bottom/sides of the stove, then attached the guides to the side flange of the angle. Works OK for the stove. Your fridge should be a similar type of mount, depending on the design you come up with for having the fridge sit in the opening. Here's a detail shot of the angle, guide & latch to lock things in place on the road.

Tim, that looks great! Thanks for responding to my post with this. I looked on that site and found an installation video. I'm thinking I'll most likely build a platform for the fridge to sit on and mate that platform with the drawer slides. I just need to figure out if bottom mount or side mount will be best, although I don't think I have enough space for side mount and will most likely go with bottom mount.

Thank you again.

John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:26 am

I use KV 8400 series full extension soft close slides.
The drawers stay in place when starting and stopping while traveling.
It’s really nice how they pull the drawer to the cabinet face the last inch of travel.
We even have them in the house kitchen.
Another of KV’s glides are push to open, push to close where no hardware needs to be on the drawer front.
I use them on furniture but they would hold a galley drawer in place.
I use a barrel bolt to hold our Camp Chef stove in while traveling and when it’s in use.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques