Filon Glue Woes

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Filon Glue Woes

Postby iconicflux » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:13 am

I've been having the worst time finding a glue that is available for purchase.

Typically for Filon you use Stabond E-183 which is a foam safe glue that sells for about $300/gallon. It's solvent based and EXTREMELY flammable during application. The high VOC contents makes it difficult to get in some states.

RecPro recommends 3M 1357 which is around $155/gallon. It's also solvent based but not as flammable as E-183. I've had my 3M 1357 cancelled by some 6 different vendors now.

3M 5200 could be used but it comes in either tubes for use in a caulking gun; however, a tube is equal to roughly a 1/8" bead that's up to 152". As such a 4x8' panel would require a very large number of tubes.

I've decided to try out Titebond Advanced Polymer adhesive which comes in a 3.5 gallon pail for about $200. It's quite toxic and requires a hazmat mask and gloves when applying but so are E-183 and 1357. It's different than the Titebond FRP adhesive in that it cures from moisture and not from drying.

I'll let y'all know how it goes with this product after I try it.

If there are any other suggestions on products to use I'd love to hear them.
iconicflux
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Filon Glue Woes

Postby linuxmanxxx » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:09 am

3M 30NF water based contact cement foam safe is much cheaper. Fastenal sells it by ordering it. Last I knew was around 100 a gallon.
Steve

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby iconicflux » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:39 am

linuxmanxxx wrote:3M 30NF water based contact cement foam safe is much cheaper. Fastenal sells it by ordering it. Last I knew was around 100 a gallon.
Steve

Thanks! I might get a gallon of that to try too! It's 680 sq/ft per gallon for that one so it would really be a savings if it works.
iconicflux
Teardrop Advisor

Postby linuxmanxxx » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:22 pm

It works I've used it on several builds.
Steve

linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby saltydawg » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:45 pm

That titebond is just a polyurethane adhesive. Make sure to mist the non glued side with water, or the center will take for ever to cure.

I though about using it for the current project, but it turns out epoxy is cheaper. And I did not want to spend over 500 bucks again on epoxy so I went a different build style than I was going to.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby iconicflux » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:29 pm

saltydawg wrote:That titebond is just a polyurethane adhesive. Make sure to mist the non glued side with water, or the center will take for ever to cure.

I though about using it for the current project, but it turns out epoxy is cheaper. And I did not want to spend over 500 bucks again on epoxy so I went a different build style than I was going to.

I thought about epoxy but I'm kind of not sure about using it and how well it adheres to Filon.
iconicflux
Teardrop Advisor

Postby linuxmanxxx » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:46 pm

Btw have you bought the filon yet? Regular frp holds up just fine and a lot cheaper.
Steve

linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby saltydawg » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:53 pm

iconicflux wrote:
saltydawg wrote:That titebond is just a polyurethane adhesive. Make sure to mist the non glued side with water, or the center will take for ever to cure.

I thought about epoxy but I'm kind of not sure about using it and how well it adheres to Filon.

It will adhere to filon to the point where it would destroy the foam or the filon first. And I can say it will be the foam that fails. Remember my camper is structural insulated foam panels with a filon type skin epoxied to the foam, no structure just the foam and skin.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby iconicflux » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:02 pm

linuxmanxxx wrote:Btw have you bought the filon yet? Regular frp holds up just fine and a lot cheaper.
Steve

Yeah I have 2 40’ rolls of the filon already. I’m not aware of frp coming in smooth sheets like filon. My wife certainly doesn’t like the bumpy frp panel look.

I am going to need to use some frp in the shower surround I think so if it does exist in a not bumpy version that’d be great.
iconicflux
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques