Gas spring bracket attachment problem - need help

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Gas spring bracket attachment problem - need help

Postby chimpta » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:50 am

Galley.jpg
Not mine but just like it.
Galley.jpg (27.2 KiB) Viewed 302 times

I got a used 2017 "Diamond in the Rough" tear drop. :D Not many teardrops around in this area so glad to find it. But it needs some work. :oops: The gas springs needed to be replaced on the galley hatch. It comes with the two 120 lbs gas springs. I got the exact same ones and when I installed them they wouldn't close. :( The plywood, holding the bracket, was already a bit weak and started to get worse. I also noticed that the left upper bracket was a bit off alignment with the right one. So the bracket on the right was taking the full load until the spring would close. :frightened: Since for some reason it was not closing it put even more strain on the right lower bracket.

So I am thinking of trying an 80 lb gas spring after firming up the plywood and bracket attachment. I don't know how to do that. The upper bracket is firm in metal trim. It is just the lower bracket in slightly compromised plywood that I would like to make solid. Any suggestions on how to do that would be greatly appreciated or any suggestions for a solution. :worship:

I am really not impressed with the workmanship on this teardrop. I was glad to get it, just down the road from me in rural Colorado, but it does need work. The galley leaked and the extremely simple electric doesn't work. The previous owner did try to deal with the leaking. I am planning to add rain guards and silicone where I can. I don't want mold which is a major concern. The one DC outlet in the galley hood does work but the 110V, which is just a simple extension cord power strip that goes from the front box, inside the floor, to be half exposed in the bed floor and the galley floor. I know the inverter is working but can't imagine what went wrong with an extension chord that is inside the insulated floor.

Thanks again for any suggestions.
Mark
chimpta
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Gas spring bracket attachment problem - need help

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:05 pm

120 lbs seems awfully strong for teardrop hatch gas struts. There is a "gas strut" calculator you can search for somewhere around here. It's in Excel and has instructions.

Basically, you want to get a bathroom scale, take the old struts off, find a large prop, and weigh the hatch. Then use the calculator.

There are also at least two threads on the subject.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Re: Gas spring bracket attachment problem - need help

Postby chimpta » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:20 pm

Thanks Tom. I also thought 120 was high but I was able to verify it with the manufacturer. I like your suggestion. I have a large prop to hold it up. That's what the seller was using. I'll give that a shot. Then there's the firming up of the bracket.
Mark
chimpta
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques