Door Latch Idea.

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Door Latch Idea.

Postby MickinOz » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:21 am

Real TD door latches don't really exist in Oz.
They may well be available somewhere, but I can't find them.
There are house door latches you can adapt. Edge has screen door latches by look of it.

There are modern RV latches that could probably be installed, but they seem to need a fairly big hole cut n the door.
And they are kinda spendy.

This guy has come up with a pretty simple and robust setup.
I haven't been able to find the exact same bits he uses (specifically the D-handle for the inside) here in Oz.
But it seems I can buy through Amazon Australia.

You have to get about 3 1/2 minutes in to the video to start seeing the actual idea.
Interested to read what people think of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wR_KQ3ZLEo
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Re: Door Latch Idea.

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:32 pm

My first woody teardrop , I used a home exterior door knob/lock. I also made my doors, and with insulation and the wood was within the thickness the lock could be used with.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:50 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:My first woody teardrop , I used a home exterior door knob/lock.

What I was intending to do, too.
But it just so happens that the choices are very limited in the local hardware shops, and I'd have to do the looong round trip (about 5 hours driving) to the big green shed, or buy online.
So, I sorta like this idea.
Did you see watch enough to see what the guy came up with? I find his ideas interesting, but his drawl soporific and his videos therefore a little hard going. But a pretty good idea I thought.

Pros as I see 'em:
Dead easy install.
Adjustable tension on the closed door, can pull er in tighter on the seal if you want.
Robust, can't see it ever breaking.
Not very expensive.

Cons:
I can't seem to find "keyed alike". Not a super big deal, but would be nice.
The ones I like have to come from the US, long lead time.
You can't just push the door closed, you have to operate the latch.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TimC » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:17 pm

I've watched most of his build. I think he ended up with a very professional looking home build and I agree he has some very interesting ideas.

The accent I am used to so have no problem there. Being sandwiched between Yoopers and Cheeseheads I have learned to focus on listening. ;)

My teardrop's RV door latches don't close real smoothly and I usually need to operate the latch when I want to close the door. The doors will close if I really slam them but I am afraid my homebuilt doors will suffer fatigue after a while. I don't want to rebuild doors anytime soon.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:44 pm

Yoopers and Cheeseheads! I had to google it. :lol: Funny as a funny thing.
Doing a little more on the hinge area of the doors today.
I reckon I'll be brushing on the mix tomorrow and (I hope) fitting the walls to the floor on Monday.
I have surprisingly few hours in it this time. I do a bit most days, but only an hour or two.
Definitely liking this idea.

When I think about it, my commercially made doors require input to shut properly, too.
They have two bolts/snibs/whatever the heck they are called.
The first one latches like a normal door, but then the lever must be operated to extend the second bolt. This is the bolt that pulls the door into the seal properly.
So no biggie.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:47 am

I have made the decision. Things were looking a tad expensive for a while, but one of those adverts for an Amazon Prime free trial came up.
So for a 1 month free trial, I got free shipping from the US.
Made the latches quite affordable at $59 Australian delivered.
Just gotta keep an eye on the Amazon account and make sure I cancel prime before it starts billing.
A bit cynical, maybe a little cheapskate gaming the system?
Maybe. But I reckon Jeff can afford it. :)
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby swoody126 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:51 am

MickinOz wrote:I have made the decision. Things were looking a tad expensive for a while, but one of those adverts for an Amazon Prime free trial came up.
So for a 1 month free trial, I got free shipping from the US.
Made the latches quite affordable at $59 Australian delivered.
Just gotta keep an eye on the Amazon account and make sure I cancel prime before it starts billing.
A bit cynical, maybe a little cheapskate gaming the system?
Maybe. But I reckon Jeff can afford it. :)

MickinOz, i got snookered into a Prime account when i clicked a wrong button one day

my first Prime order was for some .458 diameter pieces of lead for an ongoing reloading project

their timing and no extra super premium charge for shipping has carried me thru the pandemic shut down

in the height of the infectious period packages would sit in time out for 3 days before opening just to be on the safe side

nice score on your latches

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby JasenC » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:38 am

I watched that video, I saw that D handle on Amazon US when I was looking for camper door latches. Worth a look see if they have it there.

I'm playing with that idea for a similar set up but with the tonneau cover handles that push in flush.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby Jose Walsh » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:52 am

It sounds like you're facing some challenges finding suitable door latches for your needs in Australia. The solution you linked in the video does seem like a simple and robust setup that could potentially be adapted for your situation.

If you're unable to find the exact same parts as the ones used in the video, you could try reaching out to local hardware stores, RV supply stores, or online retailers to see if they have similar components available. You could also consider checking with an emergency locksmith Barnet to see if they can create custom components for you based on the design from the video.

It's also important to consider the specific requirements of your door and the environment it will be used in. For example, you may need to take into account the door material, size, and the type of usage it will receive, as well as local climate conditions, when choosing the right latch.

Ultimately, the solution that works best for you will depend on your specific needs and the resources available to you. But the setup in the video does seem like a good starting point for exploring potential solutions.
Last edited by Jose Walsh on Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jose Walsh
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GTS225 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:50 pm

Pssst! Jose.....that thread is a year-and-a-half old. ;)

Yep......I've neglected to check the dates, too. :o

Roger
GTS225
The 300 Club

Postby MickinOz » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:03 pm

In case you want to know, chaps, it worked really well. I'd do it again.
Regards,
Mick
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques