Insulating around corners

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Insulating around corners

Postby mnswamp » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:54 pm

First apologies if this has been asked before, I looked but didn't find...

Is there any reason that using multiple layers of 1/4¨ Foamular instead of kerfing a slab of full thickness insulation won't work? obviously you can't make too tight a corner, but on a 2'+ radius it seems like it should do fine. What am I not thinking about here?
Geek by profession, coach by avocation, builder by need, sports hack by obsession.

I found my new calling - ¨Organizational chaos monkey¨
mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Insulating around corners

Postby tony.latham » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:26 pm

I suppose it would work.

I find it easy to cut the kerfs and then press the piece in place and it stays put.

The challenge you may have is holding all those pieces in place. But I suppose there's a way to do it.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby mnswamp » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:06 pm

Tony,
Believe me, I'm digesting your book cover to cover as I work thru a thousand details on this build.
Ordered Timbren axles last week, sketched up the frame and started figuring out where all the holes need to go, where to put flanges, what gauge tubing,
Of all the petty reasons for wanting to avoid kerfing is that I am doing most of the work in a maker space, and the wood shop boss really frowns on anything non-wood going thru the table saw. (I might have to sneak in at 0600 to do the kerfing!)
Geek by profession, coach by avocation, builder by need, sports hack by obsession.

mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:17 pm

and the wood shop boss really frowns on anything non-wood going thru the table saw.

That's damn funny. ;)

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:33 pm

mnswamp wrote:First apologies if this has been asked before, I looked but didn't find...

Is there any reason that using multiple layers of 1/4¨ Foamular instead of kerfing a slab of full thickness insulation won't work? obviously you can't make too tight a corner, but on a 2'+ radius it seems like it should do fine. What am I not thinking about here?

We did it, it did work out fine. We couldn't find 3/4 inch foam for the walls, so we bought 1" thick foam and made a 6 foot long hot wire cutter to trim them to fit. I later used some of the quarter inch scrap in multiple layers between our 19 inch radius ceiling/roof. Glued the layers together with Titebond III; clamped with scrap wood screwed between the ribs with wedges jammed in where necessary. I also tried kerfing some pieces, but preferred the layering.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:48 pm

tony.latham wrote:
and the wood shop boss really frowns on anything non-wood going thru the table saw.

That's damn funny. ;)

Tony

This may only apply to our shop in the woods, but my SOP is to sweep up the saw dust and throw it out for the wind to carry into the forest. The wood dust degrades nicely on its own. When cutting foam however, I have to carefully sweep it up, bag it, and throw it in the trash. Might be some sort of reason like that? :thinking: Or, maybe he's just a pri...but that does remind me of a curious point I've contemplated occasionally: Out here, it's common to not own the mineral rights to your own property. Legalistically speaking, when I sweep up metal dust and throw it in the woods, it ceases to be mine! :roll:
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby John61CT » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:24 am

Even "wood" can include very poisonous materials

but certainly metal dust should not be littered, any more than chemical foam.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:53 am

I ran into issues with water based and air cured adhesives not curing between larger areas of 3/4 thick foam. The foam is not permeable, so it either takes a very long time or never for the middle of a panel to cure. 1/4 thick might be more permeable?

My solution? Shallow kerfs every inch or so to act as air ducts, or chimneys. If you use PL2 or 3 between wood and foam you can use a sparse application of glue and the wood (if unsealed) will pull enough moisture to cure, but it is tricky and won't work with PL300.

For PL300 I used the shallow kerfs (for air) and spread with a small notched trowel (to avoid large beads/blobs).
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:06 am

KCStudly wrote:I ran into issues with water based and air cured adhesives not curing between larger areas of 3/4 thick foam. The foam is not permeable, so it either takes a very long time or never for the middle of a panel to cure. 1/4 thick might be more permeable?

Good point! I seem to remember having that as a minor issue. I actually layered a lot of foam in the roof, including larger thicknesses over the flat parts. But the gluing was only to tack the pieces in place so we could put the roof on, not for any strength on its own. I guess it's possible we still have glue slowly curing in there... :thinking:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:28 am

John61CT wrote:Even "wood" can include very poisonous materials

but certainly metal dust should not be littered, any more than chemical foam.

Yes, I'm a terrible, evil, person!

Tom :lol:
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby mnswamp » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:46 am

Y'all hit on a couple of the reasons the table saw is 'wood only' - but here's the biggie for us. This is in a maker space with a couple of hundred members. In any given week, 30-40 different people are likely to use the Delta tablesaw. Of that 30, probably 20 are *very* casual users, and there's always one knucklehead who is planning to trim old painted casings (that may/may not contain lead paint), or do something like cut plexiglass with the general purpose table saw blade - which can ruin the blade, and/or send shards of some sort of brittle plastic all over the shop.
So the boss tries hard to keep people from doing stupid stuff, winning stupid prizes.

mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:51 pm

If you don't have your own table saw, kerfs can be made with a hand held circular saw (using a guide fence... or not) or router. Best to have a shop vac connected for dust collection... and, as always, wear proper PPE.

A small panel saw would be especially handy at this.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:48 pm

mnswamp wrote:First apologies if this has been asked before, I looked but didn't find...

What I thought about was using two layers, both kerfed, but gluing them together kerf side to kerf side. Like two 1" layers to equal 2" foam. That would give smooth surfaces to both the inside and outside of the curve without having to clean up a kerfed side.

This would also give air channels for any glue to dry(or expand in the case of Gorilla glue.)
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JasenC » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:34 am

No reason it wont. One thing you want to keep in mind is you don't want any air gaps between sheets where moisture/condensation can accumulate, so glue everything together well.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:54 am

So the boss tries hard to keep people from doing stupid stuff...

Rules are rules. I'm not sure I'd want his job. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques