Window Installation

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Window Installation

Postby Capebuild » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:46 pm

Hello....
My trailer will have windows, all constructed from polycarbonate. I have a large, curved window in the front of the trailer which I'd like to get other's thoughts on regarding the installation.

I had originally thought I'd make the window a bit smaller than the opening created in the framing and use either an EPDM or rubber gasket to "fix" the window in place (first image). I'm now wondering if it might be better to make the window a bit larger than the opening, position it on top of the aluminum siding and hold it in place using a gasket of some sort. Steele Rubber products has some "S" shaped gaskets I'm exploring to see if they might work (second image).

I have absolutely no experience with this sort of thing and looking for any suggestions if anyone has any thoughts. I've attached two concept images, one with the glass inside the frame the other with the glass sitting on top of the siding.

Thanks very much!
John
Attachments
gasket.jpg
gasket.jpg (52.93 KiB) Viewed 444 times
gasket_11.7.21.jpg
gasket_11.7.21.jpg (32.05 KiB) Viewed 444 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Window Installation

Postby Onajourney » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:27 am

Glad you asked this question as I too am working on a window design. Mine will be a smaller 12x48 stargazer in stalled in the angled part of the front roof. It was one of the reasons to slant it so water does not sit on it. I have been watching YT videos on the molding you suggested and they seem like a good option but I have not found how much smaller the window needs to be than the rough opening. I am going to email the manufacturer unless you know? My crude window design is still on the table till I sus all this out. I am using 1/4 ply skinned with .04 aluminum on the roof so I also need to check they make molding to accommodate that thickness.

Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby JasenC » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:41 pm

Just tossing this out there.

You can form Polycarbonate with a heat gun. If you were just doing some gentle curves, shouldn't be to much trouble.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby Onajourney » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:08 pm

I am going with Trim Lok. Customer Service is fantastic. I sent them an email with the question and someone called me within 2 hours and emailed me the following.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:58 pm

Capebuild wrote:I had originally thought I'd make the window a bit smaller than the opening created in the framing and use either an EPDM or rubber gasket to "fix" the window in place (first image). I'm now wondering if it might be better to make the window a bit larger than the opening, position it on top of the aluminum siding and hold it in place using a gasket of some sort.
John

I used the first method you mentioned for the round windows on the side of my trailer.
12 years later, no problems.
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby aggie79 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:52 am

Your design looks like it should work, but you might want to consider the potential impacts of water ponding on the upper side of the stargazer window. Perhaps you could install a transverse piece of angle aluminum to divert water running down from the roof to the sides of the stargazer window.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques