Galley Hatch Clearance

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Galley Hatch Clearance

Postby Capebuild » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:57 pm

I'm planning for the galley hatch construction and will probably build it in place. What's a good amount of clearance to leave between the side of the inner galley wall and the side of the hatch. I've read anywhere from 1/8th inch
to 3/8 inch..... on each side...... any suggestions what others have done would be a helpful starting point.

thanks a lot.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Galley Hatch Clearance

Postby dmdc411 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:35 pm

If your putting trim over the wall edges, compensate for that. I left 3/8" gap. Then put the trim on. I now have 1/8". At the hinge you really need your hinge tacked in place. It will change with the skin, or skins. Really takes a lot thought!! All things you learned along the way, as you go!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:39 pm

John, it partially has to do with the seals you plan on using and about 50% compression.
I just measured mine and I have 1/4" clearance on each side for a total of 1/2" and it seems to keep dry especially since I have a raised threshold in the event water gets down there.
You don't want it too tight so it can grow or shrink during seasonal / weather changes.
I need the extra space for my hatch plates I weld on to keep the galley lid from ripping off from a gust of wind.
One windy teardrop gathering ( Columbia Gorge) I noticed the screws coming loose in the end grain of the plywood so I came up with this.
Now I have 3 screws going into face grain, much stronger.
The raised threshold keeps water out of the galley.
I use seals that mate up with other seals much like on an automobile.
I
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby tony.latham » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:52 pm

I vote for 1/8".

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:05 pm

IIRC, I used a 5mm (3/16 inch) ply shim and I should have gone bigger.

My galley side walls bow in a tad with weather changes and if I'm not real careful the slight flex in the hatch can allow the outer (exposed) ribs to drag on the wall a little bit. Plus when this is occurring the top edge of the wall doesn't stay perfectly flush to the side edge of the hatch. If it continues to be a problem (i.e. if I ever get around to finishing it) I plan to install delrin rub plates so when the ribs slide into place they push the walls out just enough to make everything flush again. But this is really splitting hairs. :D
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques