Challenger Doors

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Challenger Doors

Postby mnswamp » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:50 pm

I finally was able to get hold of someone at Challenger, get a quote, and place an order for my doors. I wanted 36x32 if I could get them, so Challenger was my preferred vendor. I worked with a nice lady named Stacey (listed on their order page).
A couple of things to note:
1. Current lead times are quoted as 8-10 weeks (as of today). Like everyone, they are hitting material shortages and delays.
2. They have apparently been acquired by Lippert, which isn't a good thing or a bad thing. Just a fact. I think some of the people who are currently listed on their web page may have moved on to other positions, or simply moved on. Given that it took a couple of days to get a quote, I suspect they may be a little short staffed and kinda busy.
3. Once you have a quote in hand, their current web order system is a little touchy. It worked fine from my phone browser, but I couldn't get past 'captcha' with either edge or chrome on my computer.
4. Prices are still significantly less than the other guys - for the larger doors, nearly $200 less.

As far as quality goes, I'll let you know in 8-10 weeks, which is hopefully about when I will need them :D

Gonna snow here today (maybe). Stay warm.
Geek by profession, coach by avocation, builder by need, sports hack by obsession.

I found my new calling - ¨Organizational chaos monkey¨
mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Challenger Doors

Postby schnottus » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:13 am

I ordered mine two weeks ago and Stacey told me could be up to 12 weeks, maybe they're catching up :)

Do you happen to know if those door measurements are the rough opening or the actual inside measurement of the door? I forgot to ask and Stacey is not the easiest to get a hold of.
schnottus
Teardrop Builder

Postby mnswamp » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:47 am

They've apparently taken down the spec pages. IIRC the dimensions are rough opening not the inner lip, and the corner radius is 4.5 inches. I checked my quote to make sure I wasn't wishing the lead time down. Nope, they really are quoting 8-10 as of yesterday!

marsh
Geek by profession, coach by avocation, builder by need, sports hack by obsession.

I found my new calling - ¨Organizational chaos monkey¨
mnswamp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby schnottus » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:17 pm

Thanks. Not concerned about the corners ( i think mine said 4.75 in radius) but im framing in the walls in steel this weekend so i need to make the opening wide enough. From what ive seen in other posts it sounds like i should make my rough openings 1/4in wider than the quoted door dimension (so 30.25 x 36.25 for my 30x36 doors). Hopefilly someone else here can verify that, but its what im going with for now.

Given the long wait for doors they will probably be one of the last things to get installed unfortunately.
schnottus
Teardrop Builder

Postby orourkmw » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:19 am

I got my 28x36" Challenger doors and they fit perfectly into my cutout. They indicated I did not need to oversize the opening, and they were right. My corners were 4-3/4” radius. I will say that I didn't like the seam (not straight, and exposed some clear aluminum underneath), but part of that will be covered with vinyl trim, and I'll touch up paint. I also had some packaging issues which I discuss in my build journal, but I would still purchase from them again.
Mike
Corrected radius on edit
orourkmw
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:10 pm

One thing to remember they, they start the day very early. The company is run by Mennonite and Amish and when I was there started the day at 5AM.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques