Hurricane hinge help

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Hurricane hinge help

Postby Dan P » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:02 am

I am about to install my hurricane hinge and noticed a slight bow (concave) where my hinge will sit on the trailer side. Gap on each end is about 3/16 to 1/4”. I’m thinking it’s probably not wise to screw it down to match the bow as it will likely make it very difficult to slide the hatch on. Any suggestions on pretty looking shim or best way to fix? I have already PMF’d and finalized the painting. Thanks for your help
Dan
Dan P
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hurricane hinge help

Postby tony.latham » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:03 am

Dan P wrote:I am about to install my hurricane hinge and noticed a slight bow (concave) where my hinge will sit on the trailer side. Gap on each end is about 3/16 to 1/4”. I’m thinking it’s probably not wise to screw it down to match the bow as it will likely make it very difficult to slide the hatch on. Any suggestions on pretty looking shim or best way to fix? I have already PMF’d and finalized the painting. Thanks for your help

Two things. First of all, I attach the (complete) hinge to the hatch, set it in place, and then screw the front of the hinge to the cabin. I don't slide.

Secondly, I'd shim it flat and add more canvass. Otherwise, the hinge will be constantly stressed and you'll have to fix it down the road.

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dan P » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:28 pm

Thanks for the tips. I didn’t think about attaching it the way you describe. I always saw folks sliding on YouTube. I was dreading that and now I’m not. I will take your advice and press on. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dan
Dan P
Teardrop Inspector

Postby noseoil » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:52 am

What Tony said, but I'm curious about the amount of bow it has to work with along that edge? If it's just a 1/16th of an inch, no problem, but if it's 1/8" or more, it should probably be "shimmed" flat & then have the screws set in place with some gooey-pucker for keeping out the water.

A length of wood acting as a shim will take out the uneven surface. You can bond the wood to the top edge, then shave, sand or trim it down to a nice flat line. That will let the hinge sit flat & not chafe as it works.

If needs be, it's possible to make a repair with some Bondo or body filler to build up the edge. I would set a "dam" at the front side of where the hinge edge will sit (double-back tape & a length of wood or a cleat, paste wax where you don't want to Bondo to adhere), then use a good straight length of wood or metal with a waxed surface to act as a mold release agent for the top edge of the pour. Mix some Bondo, lay it against the front edge & then quickly lay the top cleat in place & weight it so it stays flat while to Bondo cures. Once you clean it up & paint it (so the Bondo won't suck moisture out of the air) set the hinge in place (butyl rubber tape is what I use), the hinge can be set in place. Just make sure the holes have a dab of caulk or sealant to keep it from seeping over time & during a rain.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:03 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Two things. First of all, I attach the (complete) hinge to the hatch, set it in place, and then screw the front of the hinge to the cabin. I don't slide.

Tony

Same. I doubt I'd get everything positioned properly if I put the two halves on separately. And siding the hatch on would inevitably result in a ruined hinge I think. You'd have to have muscles on your muscles to keep the hatch perfectly straight as you slide it in, so as to not stretch the hinge in anyway.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Graniterich » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:47 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Dan P wrote:I am about to install my hurricane hinge and noticed a slight bow (concave) where my hinge will sit on the trailer side. Gap on each end is about 3/16 to 1/4”. I’m thinking it’s probably not wise to screw it down to match the bow as it will likely make it very difficult to slide the hatch on. Any suggestions on pretty looking shim or best way to fix? I have already PMF’d and finalized the painting. Thanks for your help

Secondly, I'd shim it flat and add more canvass. Otherwise, the hinge will be constantly stressed and you'll have to fix it down the road.

Tony
How do you hold it fully open to place it against cabin? Two people on each side with steady hands?

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:10 pm

How do you hold it fully open to place it against cabin?

I don't. I just park it where it's going to live and then screw the upper part of the hinge to the roof.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:08 pm

tony.latham wrote:

I don't. I just park it where it's going to live and then screw the upper part of the hinge to the roof.

Tony

Same here. It really is very easy.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Graniterich » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:02 am

MickinOz wrote:
tony.latham wrote:

Tony

Same here. It really is very easy.
Thank you both, I forgot that that part screws from the top! Makes total sense.

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques