Help from you boat builders cabinet makers and..

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Help from you boat builders cabinet makers and..

Postby western traveler » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:07 pm

I am back from a great winter of traveling and camping. Now if the weather starts cooperating I want to finish my trim.
Item 1
I have a gap between my 2” square tube and the bottom of the wall. I shimmed the space where the floor met the trailer in the spots there was a bit of warping from weld up in a couple places.
Plan is to stuff insulation into the space behind the wall skin so I can fill the space with dicor lap sealant. Once done I plan to attach my bottom mahogany trim. It is two pieces shiplapped that equals 4” X 1/2”
Lower piece will fall below the seam (it is cut narrower). I will need to follow a straight line fore and aft to hide the warp which will be above. Then I plan to attach the upper piece to make one solid 4” trim piece. Any proud areas of the 1/2 “ pieces lapped should be minimal enough to sand flush.
I plan to attach the bottom piece with countersunk flathead machine screws.

Q 1. If I countersink them at 1/4” depth is a 1/4” enough to epoxy a mahogany plug and successfully trim flush with my wood chisel?
Q 2. Should I leave the lower piece floating or dicor it to the steel frame?

I plan to mix epoxy and Micro-balloons to glue the upper piece to the wall and use the epoxy to glue the ship lap as well. Plan is to use pan head screws and once it goes off remove the screws drill out and epoxy wood plugs through the trim and wall into the cleat to maintain the attachment.
Q 3. Should this be strong enough to replace my temporary wall to cleat attachment which are bedded screws and remain watertight?
Other suggestions as how to proceed?

western traveler
Donating Member

Re: Help from you boat builders cabinet makers and..

Postby Pmullen503 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:13 am

Leave the lower part floating and extend it past the frame to form a drip edge. The top of the skirt board should be angled to shed water.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:30 am

I wouldn't try to fill or seal the void space between cabin and trailer. You would just be creating a place for moisture to fester. The bottom of your cabin and back of your trim board should be well sealed prior to install, so the gap between trim and frame, and frame and cabin should allow any moisture that finds it's way there to dry out.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:43 am

Pmullen and KCStudly,

Thank you so much for your input!
Yes, the cleat and bottom of wall are both already sealed. Great point in allowing the space to breath.

I didn’t think of the drip line. Thanks!
I suspected it might be better to leave the bottom trim piece floating. TY for that.

Ralph
western traveler
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques