Remove Staples

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Remove Staples

Postby teardroptv » Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:23 pm

I have become quite confused after reading several posts regarding the use of staples. I am about to put on the outer layer of 1/8 bendable plywood over the spars. This will the have aluminum exterior placed over top. If I use staples to along with glue to secure the plywood in place, I should then remove the staples prior to placing the aluminum. Is this correct? Thanks for your help.
teardroptv
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Remove Staples

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:07 pm

There are staples and then there are crown staples driven in with a pneumatic stapler.

I set my crown stapler so the staples embed just below the surface of the wood. Otherwise, if sheathing with aluminum, it could easily start galvanic corrosion.

But I suppose you could cover the exposed staples with duct tape or some such electrical insulation. There's probably some other ideas that will come from your question.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby JasenC » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:01 pm

I'm assuming you're using narrow crown staples? as long as they aren't touching the aluminum like Tony said you're fine, besides you're going to cause damage trying to get them out especially if they have a coating, which is and adhesive, or galvanized.
You can just drive them down a bit if need be with a nail set and spread some 2 part wood filler over them.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby swoody126 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:30 pm

1/4" stainless steel crown staples driven by the above mentioned pee-new-matic gizmo

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:45 am

With just 1/8 skin there isn't a lot of "down" to drive then. And if your stapler is anything like mine getting a uniform set depth is not always easy (perhaps as much due to variation in the wood as lack of repeatability with the stapler). One technique I read of on here is to shoot the staples thru a length of plastic banding strap (you probably have already purchased something for your tear that came packaged in some). The banding strap should help prevent over driving the staples and once your glue has set, it should be relatively easy to pull the staples up with the banding strap. No divots to fill or repair, and no concern for bimetalic corrosion.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:37 am

I would leave the staples in.
1) Stainless steel staples will not be super reactive with aluminium. Set them in just a smidgeon. Or, if you are using VHB tape to secure the aluminium, run the tape over your lines of staples. Or make sure your polyurethane or epoxy sealer has well covered the staples.
2) For galvanic corrosion to occur, you need an electrolyte (sort of). Not planning on having the aluminium skin let water in, are you?
3) The moment you remove the staples, you are relying solely on the glue layer between the veneer that is glued to the frame and the next veneer.
What I mean is, you may have glued your ply to the frame with the best adhesive on the planet, but the bond is only as strong as the glue layer that holds the face veneer to the next veneer.

Opinion of course, I have never clad a TD in aluminium so no experience to backstop my (somewhat) informed guesses.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques